Confirmed with Link: Hawks Acquire Antoine Vermette for a 2015 1st & Dahlbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Pretty high praise for a guy who's done nothing on this continent.

At a certain point, this becomes a BS reason to doubt someone. He beats Canada in the WJC and the runs the second best league in the world. He's done alot more than Gaudreau before entering the NHL. He's done an awful lot more than Teravainen.

Look at the recent KHL guys moving to the NHL and it's pretty clear that his skill will play in a big way in the league. He's better than all of them.

jaysoneil

Feb 22, 2013
IL
Regardless of his point totals, he's been stellar at the dot.

Vermette 43-26 62.3%
Richards 53-52 50.5%
Toews 78-85 47.9%
Kruger 50-47 47.4%

ClydeLee

Mar 23, 2012
I don't get the Panarin recoups the first talk... what recoups the first is the likely, hopeful, first or at the east, high 2nd that Stan gets back in the Cap Dump trades that are going to happen. That's why didn't bother me about the trades this year when you have that free space to do it, you're gonna get trade returns.

Panarin if anyone, is more a fill in good replacement signing for loosing Hayes, even with him still at least giving a draft pick return as well, but if Hayes was in the fold, I question if you have that clear wide open top 9 spot that can be easily marketed to Panarin to get him to sign in Chicago.

AmericanDream

Thank you Elon!
Oct 24, 2005
Chicago Manitoba
I agree Panarin is probably worth a low 1st. But it still has nothing to do with the Vermette deal.

he isnt worth a first round pick..Conor Garland destroyed the Q this year, went undrafted last year and likely will be a late 2nd round pick at the highest this draft...kid is super skilled and small, but lets not get carried away with some of these guys.

I would put Steve Moses well on par with Panarin as Moses has been amazing all year in the KHL (36 goals) and has been fantastic for USA at the WC...he certainly wouldnt be a first round pick this year. Nashville gets a solid player but until these guys prove it over here I think we need to keep expectations down..

Periwinkle

Apr 3, 2014
As an "outsider" I find this obsession of regaining the 1st rd pick a bit strange. From where the Hawks are picking, it would most likely result in a 3rd/4th line body, or a mid-level D prospect and from my understanding your farm is full of those types almost ready to go. Or it would be used in a boom or bust type -much like Panarin, if that is the context here, who is already shown lots in the second best league in the world.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
At a certain point, this becomes a BS reason to doubt someone. He beats Canada in the WJC and the runs the second best league in the world. He's done alot more than Gaudreau before entering the NHL. He's done an awful lot more than Teravainen.

Look at the recent KHL guys moving to the NHL and it's pretty clear that his skill will play in a big way in the league. He's better than all of them.

Sure, he's done more than Gaudreau before Johnny came into the league, but Johnny has come into the league and posted a 64 point season. You've claimed Panarin is about as good as he is right now. That's a huge reach.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
As an "outsider" I find this obsession of regaining the 1st rd pick a bit strange. From where the Hawks are picking, it would most likely result in a 3rd/4th line body, or a mid-level D prospect and from my understanding your farm is full of those types almost ready to go. Or it would be used in a boom or bust type -much like Panarin, if that is the context here, who is already shown lots in the second best league in the world.

It's true, HFBoards completely overvalues picks.

Especially in Chicago's case, where nobody going in the mid-late 20s in this year's draft is projected to start in the NHL next year. They would just jump to the back of the log jam in developmental.

I take a solid 2-way center playing for the Blackhawks NOW, in a must-win cup-or-bust pre-capocalypse year over somebody that might be good in 2 or 3 years.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
It's true, HFBoards completely overvalues picks.

Especially in Chicago's case, where nobody going in the mid-late 20s in this year's draft is projected to start in the NHL next year. They would just jump to the back of the log jam in developmental.

I take a solid 2-way center playing for the Blackhawks NOW, in a must-win cup-or-bust pre-capocalypse year over somebody that might be good in 2 or 3 years.

Excess draft picks are a big reason the Hawks have kept this thing going through the cap hell purges. Unless you don't think guys like Brandon Saad are important to the team?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Excess draft picks are a big reason the Hawks have kept this thing going through the cap hell purges. Unless you don't think guys like Brandon Saad are important to the team?

So 5 years of excess draft picks are going to be counter-balanced by one year of slightly fewer when the developmental pipeline is clogged?

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
The system is clogged right now, not in 3 years when the pick made this summer would be relevant.

And how many excess draft picks will we have in the next 2 to 3 years to balance the ledger?

Not to mention, again, we basically got a free 1st-round pick in Panarin, and there's still a decent chance we snag a late first-rounder for Sharpie.

For my money, this is an all-in year. I have no problem with Stan putting a problem that MAY rear it's head 2-3 years from now on the back-burner and doing everything he could to improve a team that was circling the drain at the time he made it.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
And how many excess draft picks will we have in the next 2 to 3 years to balance the ledger?

Not to mention, again, we basically got a free 1st-round pick in Panarin, and there's still a decent chance we snag a late first-rounder for Sharpie.

For my money, this is an all-in year. I have no problem with Stan putting a problem that MAY rear it's head 2-3 years from now on the back-burner and doing everything he could to improve a team that was circling the drain at the time he made it.

I don't know how much they will get back this summer. It might be nothing, honestly. You could have a case where you are throwing extras in to move contracts like Bickell's or Crawford's....which might offset what you get back for a Patrick Sharp or Andrew Shaw.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I don't know how much they will get back this summer. It might be nothing, honestly. You could have a case where you are throwing extras in to move contracts like Bickell's or Crawford's....which might offset what you get back for a Patrick Sharp or Andrew Shaw.

I stand by the position that moving a 'might be' 2-3 years down for a tangible asset today, in a must-win, cup or bust year is a move worth taking.

I doubt the Blackhawks require sweeteners to move Bickell, and I doubt they move Crawford at all or even attempt to.

We'll see what happens, but going a little light on picks one year after going heavy on them for 5 years is not a crippling decision in my opinion.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I stand by the position that moving a 'might be' 2-3 years down for a tangible asset today, in a must-win, cup or bust year is a move worth taking.

I doubt the Blackhawks require sweeteners to move Bickell, and I doubt they move Crawford at all or even attempt to.

We'll see what happens, but going a little light on picks one year after going heavy on them for 5 years is not a crippling decision in my opinion.

It's definitely not crippling. I agree with that. I just don't care for throwing assets away.

DayNah

Ship it donk!
Feb 11, 2010
he isnt worth a first round pick..Conor Garland destroyed the Q this year, went undrafted last year and likely will be a late 2nd round pick at the highest this draft...kid is super skilled and small, but lets not get carried away with some of these guys.

I watched Garland a couple dozen times this year. He certainly stepped up his play. Playing with Barbashev certainly helped. Theres no way he finishes in the top 20 of the qmjhl without him. He'll get drafted this year i'm sure. But like you mentioned he's tiny as hell.

Iridium128

May 30, 2012
If CHI wins the cup, then I'll give up a first round pick for that. Regardless of Vermette's stat sheet, if we win with him on the roster, then you make that trade 10 times out of 10.

unbridledid

Jun 8, 2011
If CHI wins the cup, then I'll give up a first round pick for that. Regardless of Vermette's stat sheet, if we win with him on the roster, then you make that trade 10 times out of 10.

Agreed, and I am guilty of being one of those guys who over values picks. I think Stan was bold with his moves and I applaud him.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Vermettes looks good. I really like what that line is giving the Hawks. I'm happy we made the trade. No regrets. Got to go for it. This team obviously has a real chance. There's no question having Vermette at 3C gives the Hawks a better chance to win. It's a little surprising it's taken this long, but this is why they traded for him. Love what all 4 lines are doing.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Vermettes looks good. I really like what that line is giving the Hawks. I'm happy we made the trade. No regrets. Got to go for it. This team obviously has a real chance. There's no question having Vermette at 3C gives the Hawks a better chance to win. It's a little surprising it's taken this long, but this is why they traded for him. Love what all 4 lines are doing.

I think it shows how complex the Hawk's systems are for centers. Q said it himself that his systems are not easy to just jump into as a center.

AZviaNJ

“Sure as shit want to F*** Coyote fans.”
Mar 31, 2011
AZ
Glad to see Vermette stepping up. 35 of 50 F/O wins the past 3 games, +3 in this series. He will continue to deliver for you guys...even if it's not goals/assists. We're happy with Dahlbeck and the 1st, but you got what you needed to win this year. Good luck.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I think it shows how complex the Hawk's systems are for centers. Q said it himself that his systems are not easy to just jump into as a center.

Yeah, it took Richards damn near half a season to come to grips with what Q wants from his centers. If anything, Vermette is catching on quicker.... which makes sense, cause he's much more of a 2-way player than Richards.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Yeah, it took Richards damn near half a season to come to grips with what Q wants from his centers. If anything, Vermette is catching on quicker.... which makes sense, cause he's much more of a 2-way player than Richards.

I think Richards has shown so far in the playoffs that he is worth his contract and then some. I don't see him fading like he did last year because Kane and Bickell take a lot of the load off of him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad