Confirmed with Link: Hawks Acquire Antoine Vermette for a 2015 1st & Dahlbeck

Status
Not open for further replies.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
As long as he is responsible defensively, good at faceoffs, and is taking a little bit of the load of for Toews then this isn't a horrible trade.

But man, a first for this guy stings a lot. I was expecting at least SOMETHING offensively.

JaegerDice

The mark of my dignity shall scar thy DNA
Dec 26, 2014
Vermette has been fine. Overpriced, as pretty much all rentals are, save the true diamonds in the rough (Gaborik, etc) or the long-shots that pan out (Handzus, Oduya, etc).

He wasn't brought in for production, he was brought in as a 2-way center to help defensively on a team that was spiralling the drain defensively leading up to the point Kane went down.

Not to mention a team that might (and still might) need a 2C back-up plan if Richards fades the way he did in the playoffs last year (in a softer conference, no less).

To the shock of nobody with an ounce of reason, a player adjusting to a new system that was afforded zero continuity as far as position in the lineup or linemates, struggled. Cross your fingers we finally see some level of continuity as far as position and deployment for Vermette moving forward so that we can get the most out of him as the 3C this team desperately needs moving forward.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
If the Hawks make a deep run the move is without a doubt worth it, even if he is scratched a number of games. Why? He gives the Hawks very good center depth. Basically, he is an insurance policy in case someone like Richards or Kruger goes down. Whether or not a policy gets exercised doesn't detract from its value.

When he plays he's been solid.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I would trust the multiple season sample size over the 19 games with a new team in a new role in terms of what a player is more likely to be over the long term.

Any Colour You Like

Regular bean eater
Nov 13, 2011
Boston U
I wouldn't call this trade a complete disaster yet. The season isn't over. He's not actively losing us games.

But a first and one of our better D prospects hurts.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
I wouldn't call this trade a complete disaster yet. The season isn't over. He's not actively losing us games.

But a first and one of our better D prospects hurts.

I don't get the angst over losing Dahlbeck.

He was given a look up on the team, and sent down almost immediately. And traded shortly there-after.

Same pattern as Clendening.

It's quite obvious the coach gave his thumbs down to both players in their short stints, and Stan moved forward with the knowledge that they were still a ways off being being played on the big club, if they ever did.

Combine that with the addition of new Dmen prospects (Pokka, Paliotta), it's quite clear that Dahlbeck was expendable.

If not now, in an all-in year, then when better?

I think hfboards overvalues picks, but I can at least understand the hope tied to the potential there.

A prospect that - fairly or not - had been busted down the depth chart and might never see time with the big club? How is that a huge loss?

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
Much better game from Vermette, probably his best as a Hawk. Nice to see Q give him a high five after the goal too, both had a huge smile on their face. Hopefully it's the ice breaker he needed.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I thought Vermette looked real solid last night, was great at the dot too.

This is why you don't rush to judgements on trades.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
I thought Vermette looked real solid last night, was great at the dot too.

This is why you don't rush to judgements on trades.

I thought he has looked at his best when he played with saad and TT and again last night with sharp and TT, so what I've learned is that keep him with TT and then give him one of saad/Sharp and you get the most from him.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Vermette has been excellent since returning to the lineup in the playoffs, and he and Sharp have some chemistry building.

We don't need him to put up huge numbers. Obviously some contribution is great, and he has 2 points in 5 games, which is a fine pace for a third line guy.

More important, we need a good 2-way presence to solidify that 3rd line, cause Shaw at center sure as **** isn't a legitimate solution.

JaegerDice

Dec 26, 2014
Rush to judgement?

For almost his entire time with Hawks he has been underwhelming and ineffective

1-2 good games in 20+ is not justification for horrendous trade

Meh.

They basically recuped the first with the Panarin trade, since by all accounts he'd be a top 30 draft pick.

Dahlbeck is obviously no loss.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Meh.

They basically recuped the first with the Panarin trade, since by all accounts he'd be a top 30 draft pick.

Dahlbeck is obviously no loss.

They more than recouped the pick with Panarin. He's an 8.0 B prospect. Maybe a #7-8 type value when translated to a pick.

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
That does not mean that he didn't overpay for Vermette. The moves were independent of each other. If they still had a first, they still would have signed Panarin and still had a first.

To be fair though, I don't know if it was an overpayment yet. They drafted him to help them win a Cup. If they win a cup, and he continues to play at almost PPG while playing solid defensively, that's worth the last pick in the first round.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Panarin is a good prospect but in no way does he replace 2015 1st ,, That logic is just laughable

Also lets not forget the last big UFA from Europe this board fell in love with.. How is Olimb doing in NHL?

And if Panarin doesn't make team and returns to KHL those saying "OMG Stan recouped his 1st" will be calling for Stan's firing ,, Correct?

I mean if he lets another "amazing" prospect go like he did Hayes then surely that is fireable offense?

FTR

Vermette = 1 goal + 4 assists in 24 games as a Hawk , That is not worth a 1st + Dahlbeck no matter what some may claim

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Panarin is a good prospect but in no way does he replace 2015 1st ,, That logic is just laughable

Also lets not forget the last big UFA from Europe this board fell in love with.. How is Olimb doing in NHL?

And if Panarin doesn't make team and returns to KHL those saying "OMG Stan recouped his 1st" will be calling for Stan's firing ,, Correct?

I mean if he lets another "amazing" prospect go like he did Hayes then surely that is fireable offense?

FTR

Vermette = 1 goal + 4 assists in 24 games as a Hawk , That is not worth a 1st + Dahlbeck no matter what some may claim

For starters - Panarin has nothing to do with the Vermette trade. You could have signed him and kept the #1 pick.

As for the value of the trade. I agree with you it looks bad. But he is getting more comfortable lately. And *if* the Hawks win the cup and his play was a part of that, it would be hard to argue that it wasn't worth it. Winning the cup is a big if for any team though.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

FTR

Panarin not being worth a 1st is laughable. How would you feel about a 23 year old who put up 2PPG in the AHL this season? He's somewhere around Johnny Gaudreau good right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad