Post-Game Talk: Have you pissed in a river? - Oilers Blowout Pens 6-1

KeithIsActuallyBad

You thrust your pelvis, huh!
Apr 12, 2010
Calgary
They're an elite pairing in this league especially in the offensive zone. Yeah, I said it. They also play with the McDavid line a lot but they own possession a lot even away from the McDavid line. Really need to boost that Nurse pairing and it's all systems go for the defense.
I think you're onto something. Bouchard/Ekholm is a very good pairing.

It's just that OTHER top 4 pairing that struggles mightily.

K1984

Feb 7, 2008

The real answer was probably "I couldn't in good conscience play Ceci in that spot again so I can watch that pair go -2 and get caved the whole night," but obviously a more politically correct answer was in order.

Last night was the first time I can remember a team not aggressively attacking us on both blue lines. Our break outs and break ins were as easy as they come, and the results matched. There was still a reluctance to shoot the puck early, but after we got a sense of blood in the water there was no looking back. Always nice when 4 lines can just roll, I thought we had at least one guy playing very well on each line.

Last edited:

Slats432

Jun 2, 2002
hockeypedia.com
Not sure if the loss in Calgary, the flight delay and getting in really late, or that they kind of suck is the reason we beat up on the Pens. I mentioned to someone that at times we looked like the 72 Russians vs Norway against them. It was over by mid 2nd period.

Nice to have a no stress win, not overplaying the big guns/Skinner. On to the next!

Reactions: Oilhawks and Duke74

LTIR

Nov 8, 2013
Looking at stats, it was a game where we were able to get Kane more TOI than McDavid and RNH wasn't even top6 F in TOI .

Nurse Desharnais pairing combined for 12 hits.

Great night for Foegele-McLeod-Perry pairing

Perfect game other than our PP and a flukey goal against

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
As you wish…

OvoDjaW.gif
he throws like a girl

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Hard to take away too much from this game. Penguins were broken toys in this one after completely soiling themselves in Calgary and then late arrival into Edmonton. Their coach prolly should have made them do a penguin walk of shame from Cowtown to Edmonton after that fiasco.

Pickard good early on a teed up back-up tender game. McLeod line was good and love Perry playing with McLeod and Foegle to nurture gamesmanship and hard playing style needed to win. Hyman continues as the most consistent Oiler on his way to 50 goals. McWinger Draisaitl had a solid game with great pace as a shooting option but also elite playmaker option. Interesting game time decision to switch up d-pairings. But hard to draw conclusions in a blow out game though all d-minutes were skewed with tightly bunched ice time minutes from #6 17:53 Kulak to #1 21:02 Ekholm.

Tuesday in Boston will give a better read on the d-group and support forward engagement.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Hard to take away too much from this game. Penguins were broken toys in this one after completely soiling themselves in Calgary and then late arrival into Edmonton. Their coach prolly should have made them do a penguin walk of shame from Cowtown to Edmonton after that fiasco.

Pickard good early on a teed up back-up tender game. McLeod line was good and love Perry playing with McLeod and Foegle to nurture gamesmanship and hard playing style needed to win. Hyman continues as the most consistent Oiler on his way to 50 goals. McWinger Draisaitl had a solid game with great pace as a shooting option but also elite playmaker option. Interesting game time decision to switch up d-pairings. But hard to draw conclusions in a blow out game though all d-minutes were skewed with tightly bunched ice time minutes from #6 17:53 Kulak to #1 21:02 Ekholm.

Tuesday in Boston will give a better read on the d-group and support forward engagement.
One of the reasons Pens found nothing in this game and were getting more and more futile as game progressed is we got a lead, built it, and Pickard was stoning making saves like on Crosby.

In anycase Calgary and Vancougar etc get all kinds of these lame opponent efforts and I'll take this. That this was so demoralizng to the Pens and asshats like Eller doesn't escape me, and doesn't make me sad.

jesusbuiltmyhotrod

Feb 27, 2021
McDavid only 8 points back of Kucherov (mcD with 5 less games played) and Drai enters the top ten in scoring:

View attachment 829030
Mackinnon disappeared?

Oilers score 6 goals, blow out the opposition and theres 6 pages of pgt. lol

I was going to put out an MIA on a few posters that usually post up with complaints.
Always the same dudes. It’s clear they like to troll. Only post when they can bash oilers/ players

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
When this game in reach still I'll make a comment on the couple times on the PP that Drai was first back to puck and prevented shorthanded oddman rushes that Pens were looking for to get back in the game. Drai was again a boss in this game, and was in all ends. Lazy Drai that "refuses to play any D" On one breakout Jeff Carter, a guy that loves scoring and doesn't love anything more than an odd man rush was hot on a puck looking for a scoring chance. Drai got back quickly, thwarted it, and Jeff looked at who was back defending, gave up on the rush, just dumped the puck. Drai can handle an opponent rush against even star player and make it look like he's a D in addition to having the size to handle anybody, and any power forward.

Another thing. Drai is the one that erased King Karlson on the Oilers early goal and while McD and Hyman get all the credit there wasn't one mention last night (other than mine) of who created, who made that goal. Drai, breaking up a play in ownzone and playing a perfect puck up for the 2 on 1.

Drai also with 3 assists in game and would have had more if chances were cashed and not a mention. Again as if he did nothiing.

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
One of the reasons Pens found nothing in this game and were getting more and more futile as game progressed is we got a lead, built it, and Pickard was stoning making saves like on Crosby.

In anycase Calgary and Vancougar etc get all kinds of these lame opponent efforts and I'll take this. That this was so demoralizng to the Pens and asshats like Eller doesn't escape me, and doesn't make me sad.
Oil got a favourable schedule game with Penguins ending their road trip. Enhanced by an embarrassing implosion in Calgary. As a frontrunner with the game's best player, I'm sure the Oilers coaching and team rightfully should expect to get their opponent's best game. That didn't happen last night.

Pickard has been a solid #2 with a very controlled, efficient game. Critical is to ensure he's on top of his rebound control. It's always nice to see guys that have to earn their way or earn their way back take advantage of opportunity. Been a godsend for this team with Campbell having existential crisis since signing the saviour free agency deal.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Oil got a favourable schedule game with Penguins ending their road trip. Enhanced by an embarrassing implosion in Calgary. As a frontrunner with the game's best player, I'm sure the Oilers coaching and team rightfully should expect to get their opponent's best game. That didn't happen last night.

Pickard has been a solid #2 with a very controlled, efficient game. Critical is to ensure he's on top of his rebound control. It's always nice to see guys that have to earn their way or earn their way back take advantage of opportunity. Been a godsend for this team with Campbell having existential crisis since signing the saviour free agency deal.
Sure. But it was mentioned Pens are 7-1 last times they've had B2B games. I'm going to credit a startling Oilers performance for completely taking the sails out of the Pens in this one. The Oilers repeatedly kicked Pens in the junk starting in first period stripping pucks, creating turnovers, attacking relentlessly. The Oilers had some kind of verve in this game and they deserve credit for it.

An alternate narrative could be a vet Pens team knew they really wanted this one, really had to have it, and the Oilers didn't give them a chance at that all night. This was a textbook performance by the home club until the waning minutes.

Reactions: Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
Sure. But it was mentioned Pens are 7-1 last times they've had B2B games. I'm going to credit a startling Oilers performance for completely taking the sails out of the Pens in this one. The Oilers repeatedly kicked Pens in the junk starting in first period stripping pucks, creating turnovers, attacking relentlessly. The Oilers had some kind of verve in this game and they deserve credit for it.

An alternate narrative could be a vet Pens team knew they really wanted this one, really had to have it, and the Oilers didn't give them a chance at that all night. This was a textbook performance by the home club until the waning minutes.
I'll lean on the humiliating loss the night before culminated by an embarrassing defensive effort against Kadri who walked their team and dealing with an airplane that failed equally as badly. Poor Eastern Conference teams are used their beauty sleeps and cozy bedtimes. There was no one going for the Penguins notably its Captain who usually is laser locked in facing Connor McDavid.

Oil had a harder opponent work wise and scoreboard in their division game in Seattle. Penguins were a no show and drifting into playoff extinction. And that's okay in the scheme of thing for Edmonton to get a confidence builder and play around with their line-up deployment leading into trade deadline.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
I'll lean on the humiliating loss the night before culminated by an embarrassing defensive effort against Kadri who walked their team and dealing with an airplane that failed equally as badly. Poor Eastern Conference teams are used their beauty sleeps and cozy bedtimes. There was no one going for the Penguins notably its Captain who usually is laser locked in facing Connor McDavid.

Oil had a harder opponent work wise and scoreboard in their division game in Seattle. Penguins were a no show and drifting into playoff extinction. And that's okay in the scheme of thing for Edmonton to get a confidence builder and play around with their line-up deployment leading into trade deadline.

The Oilers have skunked the Pens and the illustrious Sidney Crosby several times in a row. The last 5 games against the Pens haven't even been close. 6-1, 7-2 , 6-3 5-1, 5-2. Thats a cumulative trouncing of 29-9.

The bolded is absolutely false and the Pens have been folding to the Oilers for years. McDrai have been running this bunch of Pens out of the rink now for years. The Pens have no answer in containing us and give up an average of 6goals everytime they face us now. Last night was no different.

Reactions: Oilhawks

Oilers in NS

Oct 11, 2017
Not likely though and who cares. You have to beat good teams to go to the cup final. And home ice means practically nothing in nhl playoffs.
Id like to. Gets ya that last change for line matching and just to knock Vancouver outta there. Fan base is foolish like Toronto

Oilers score 6 goals, blow out the opposition and theres 6 pages of pgt. lol

I was going to put out an MIA on a few posters that usually post up with complaints.
Problem is you get written up too easily now. I think Putin is ADMIN

Behind Enemy Lines

Feb 19, 2003
Vancouver
The Oilers have skunked the Pens and the illustrious Sidney Crosby several times in a row. The last 5 games against the Pens haven't even been close. 6-1, 7-2 , 6-3 5-1, 5-2. Thats a cumulative trouncing of 29-9.

The bolded is absolutely false and the Pens have been folding to the Oilers for years. McDrai have been running this bunch of Pens out of the rink now for years. The Pens have no answer in containing us and give up an average of 6goals everytime they face us now. Last night was no different.
My bias and clearly wrong based on my live viewing in 2018. They are teams in transition and Connor McDavid has out schooled the old master.

Point remains the Oilers got a tired, beaten team last night heading into playoff oblivion.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
Ya in retrospect... they could have signed like 6 Pickard level goalies instead of Campbell and went with the shotgun approach of hoping to find one good one in the batch instead of plunking down big money for a not sure thing in Campbell,
At the time, no one knew Skinner was going to play into this role, this fast. It is a bit of a chicken/egg thing because you can argue that Campbell’s play caused Skinner to be pushed along faster than what was expected.

This place was clamouring for a goalie, given the Koskinen situation and Smith injury prior to Campbell being signed. Skinner had played 13 total games at the NHL level at that point. On a team desiring to go far in the playoffs, I doubt anyone was comfortable handing him the keys at that point.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
At the time, no one knew Skinner was going to play into this role, this fast. It is a bit of a chicken/egg thing because you can argue that Campbell’s play caused Skinner to be pushed along faster than what was expected.

This place was clamouring for a goalie, given the Koskinen situation and Smith injury prior to Campbell being signed. Skinner had played 13 total games at the NHL level at that point. On a team desiring to go far in the playoffs, I doubt anyone was comfortable handing him the keys at that point.
Ultimately as well its pro sports. The end game is selling tickets, merchandise, making profit. The Oilers sell more tickets getting a goalie the fanbase thought would be good at the time vs just playing the bullet approach, but I agree bullet approach is better. The key is the bolded, it was with Connor Brown too. Fans getting what they were howling for..

motto: Careful what you clamor for. heh

Reactions: brentashton

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad