Post-Game Talk: Have you pissed in a river? - Oilers Blowout Pens 6-1

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Ultimately as well its pro sports. The end game is selling tickets, merchandise, making profit. The Oilers sell more tickets getting a goalie the fanbase thought would be good at the time vs just playing the bullet approach, but I agree bullet approach is better. The key is the bolded, it was with Connor Brown too. Fans getting what they were howling for..

motto: Careful what you clamor for. heh
sometimes you hit sometimes you miss. I didnt like the contract setup, but i loved how we got him at league minimim for the year and thought it was a good bet on a player with risk.

I'd rather see that than nothing at all.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
sometimes you hit sometimes you miss. I didnt like the contract setup, but i loved how we got him at league minimim for the year and thought it was a good bet on a player with risk.

I'd rather see that than nothing at all.
Seeing nothing can mean you have something later. NOT doing Campbell (especially) would've given us a lot of capspace if we wanted to do acquisitions during season or at TDL. PLenty of cheaper goalie options are available or can be had. It is the bullet approach that seems to work with goalies.

Basically 2 approaches. you either lucky enough to draft a goalie stud or you go fine ones that other teams have had and gave up on for some reason. The latter being cheaper, invariably, and don't cost you a pick either.

I say this only in relation to goalies. Drafting goalies is voodoo too, all but the obviously elite ones.

Shibumi

Sponsor
Mar 23, 2002
Edmonton
Visit site
RNH and me owe him dinner.

On another note goal scoring Ceci is just embarrassing Connor Brown at this point. I think Kupari may be the only more inept forward in the league. Somehow he gets regularly in lineup as well.
Brown was one of two Oilers to not record a shot on net according to the post game show.

Reactions: Drivesaitl

Mr Kot

Jan 15, 2022
Brown was one of two Oilers to not record a shot on net according to the post game show.
1673241559033385.png

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
Ultimately as well its pro sports. The end game is selling tickets, merchandise, making profit. The Oilers sell more tickets getting a goalie the fanbase thought would be good at the time vs just playing the bullet approach, but I agree bullet approach is better. The key is the bolded, it was with Connor Brown too. Fans getting what they were howling for..

Fans also were clamouring for Zach Hyman - that worked out okay.:D

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018

After the Campbell and Brown signings, Holland should read these rumour and TDL threads and do the opposite then? Tee hee…

OMG, unless it were to result in a Cup win, this place would melt down if that were to happen. Ken would be pilloried, crucified and electric chair’d all at the same time. ;)

GOilers88

#DustersWinCups
Dec 24, 2016
Seeing nothing can mean you have something later. NOT doing Campbell (especially) would've given us a lot of capspace if we wanted to do acquisitions during season or at TDL. PLenty of cheaper goalie options are available or can be had. It is the bullet approach that seems to work with goalies.

Basically 2 approaches. you either lucky enough to draft a goalie stud or you go fine ones that other teams have had and gave up on for some reason. The latter being cheaper, invariably, and don't cost you a pick either.

I say this only in relation to goalies. Drafting goalies is voodoo too, all but the obviously elite ones.
Well that's what I mean. I dislike the contract, but the option to add Brown for league minimum this year was smart, the negotiation was not. There's a big difference between that and 5x5 for an unproven goalie. So I agree about Campbell. I would have rather they went after a cheaper option and another depth piece.

But I don't think swinging on Brown was a bad idea.

Reactions: Drivesaitl and TB12

guymez

The Seldom Seen Kid
Mar 3, 2004
Well that's what I mean. I dislike the contract, but the option to add Brown for league minimum this year was smart, the negotiation was not. There's a big difference between that and 5x5 for an unproven goalie. So I agree about Campbell. I would have rather they went after a cheaper option and another depth piece.

But I don't think swinging on Brown was a bad idea.
I agree.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

Reactions: TB12

rboomercat90

Mar 24, 2013
Edmonton
At the time, no one knew Skinner was going to play into this role, this fast. It is a bit of a chicken/egg thing because you can argue that Campbell’s play caused Skinner to be pushed along faster than what was expected.

This place was clamouring for a goalie, given the Koskinen situation and Smith injury prior to Campbell being signed. Skinner had played 13 total games at the NHL level at that point. On a team desiring to go far in the playoffs, I doubt anyone was comfortable handing him the keys at that point.
This issue was created by the team refusing to play Skinner to see what they had in him the season where Koskinen was in the final year of his contract. They should have, both Koskinen and Smith struggled for large parts of that season and it was damn obvious they were moving on from Koskinen. Had they given Skinner more of an opportunity to earn a job and see what he could do they likely don’t feel the need to hand Campbell the contract they did. Maybe he’s offered 2 years instead of that 5 year boat anchor.

brentashton

Jan 21, 2018
This issue was created by the team refusing to play Skinner to see what they had in him the season where Koskinen was in the final year of his contract. They should have, both Koskinen and Smith struggled for large parts of that season and it was damn obvious they were moving on from Koskinen. Had they given Skinner more of an opportunity to earn a job and see what he could do they likely don’t feel the need to hand Campbell the contract they did. Maybe he’s offered 2 years instead of that 5 year boat anchor.
GMs typically don’t tell coaches who to play, but GMKH should have pulled rank and demanded Woodshaft play Skinner to get better sense of his abilities. As you state, they knew they had a goalie issue and a pending decision to make in FA. It makes you think that they had already made the decision to go hard at Campbell during that season.

Woody was clearly uncomfortable giving the rookie a shot. In fact, did he even start him after he took over from Tippet that season? My memory says no but I could be wrong. Ultimately it cost him either way. Skinner was a significant factor in the playoff failure last year and the start of this season’s swoon.

Soundwave

Mar 1, 2007
I agree.
Hindsight is always 20/20.

A lot of the moves that have blown up in the Oilers faces tend to be heavily criticized from day 1.

In fact I would say very few of the Oilers moves that fall into the "f*** it, we're the smartest management team in the room and are going to go off the board and do something crazy" deals really don't have any history of working out here.

I was critical of the Brown deal from the get go, so were a few other posters, the contract structure was an insanely stupid risk. It's not entirely shocking it's turned out to be an incredibly stupid deal in hindsight.

Last edited:

Mav3rick07

Jul 28, 2007
It is kind of strange. He seems to track the puck well and has pretty good athleticism.

I mean he was projected to be a good goaltender at one point (when he was with Colorado?). But then he had a rough year and was kind of thrown to the side.
Pickards first 3 seasons in the league with Colorado were solid.

2015 = .932 (16 games)
2016 = .922 (20 Games)
2017 = .904 (50 Games)

After that, he bounced around from team to team and his numbers dipped but he was never really given more than 10 starts. I don't know why. Strange indeed.

Arty Spooners Bsmnt

Apr 22, 2023
If they played Skinner more when they had both Koskinen and Smith al we would have heard about from the media is "The Three Headed Monster". Pretty sure we have heard that in the past.

Stoneman89

Feb 8, 2008
After the Campbell and Brown signings, Holland should read these rumour and TDL threads and do the opposite then? Tee hee…

OMG, unless it were to result in a Cup win, this place would melt down if that were to happen. Ken would be pilloried, crucified and electric chair’d all at the same time. ;)
Holland has so little wiggle room, he probably can't do a lot of damage with any signings, unless he starts moving out some of the larger contracts.:D

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad