Have the canucks quietly built up a solid prospect pool?

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
We have one guy who is a top-3 prospect in the sport. By himself, he makes our prospect pool 'pretty good'.

Outside of him, our prospect pool is probably below-average. The 2016 draft is a complete disaster.

Reactions: JayBeautiful

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
We have one guy who is a top-3 prospect in the sport. By himself, he makes our prospect pool 'pretty good'.

Outside of him, our prospect pool is probably below-average. The 2016 draft is a complete disaster.
That's an opinion, but not shared by very many of the prospect sites or scouting services. They all have the Canucks solidly within the top-10 of NHL teams in terms of their prospect pools, with some sites having them as a high as #5 overall. Another solid draft in 2018 and they'll be easily in the top-five.

Reactions: Index and vanwest

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
That's an opinion, but not shared by very many of the prospect sites or scouting services. They all have the Canucks solidly within the top-10 of NHL teams in terms of their prospect pools, with some sites having them as a high as #5 overall. Another solid draft in 2018 and they'll be easily in the top-five.

We're top-10 based on Pettersson. He's that good. Outside of him we're very middling.

Reactions: billvanseattle

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Prospect pool isn’t the problem. The problem is the lack of productive trades over the past 4 years. I count exactly one trade - Dahlen - that looks like it has the potential to be a long term part of a rebuild. The remainder - Gudbranson, Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund, Prust - have just frittered assets away while contributing nothing of long term value to the team.

A team like Winnipeg, in addition to their drafting, acquired core pieces like Byfuglien, Wheeler, and Myers in trades over that time. Not to say Benning should be able to match the quality of those deals - those may be among the best trades in the past 8 years - but he needs to accomplish more than just Dahlen over a span of 5 summers. Relying entirely on the draft for talent - esp when no additional picks are being acquired - is what will keep this rebuild on a snail’s pace.
Obsessing over the 2nd round picks for Gudbranson and Sutter is getting old,hardly franchise crippling...The Baertschi trade was good..the Granlund and Prust trades were minor deals..(Zack was basically booted off of the team)...These deals were made when the Canucks were still trying to give the Sedins a last kick at the can,and fill the age gap,'compete on the fly'..etc.

Byfuglien and Wheeler played for the Atlanta Thrashers back in 2011...Well before Benning entered the picture.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Obsessing over the 2nd round picks for Gudbranson and Sutter is getting old,hardly franchise crippling...The Baertschi trade was good..the Granlund and Prust trades were minor deals..(Zack was basically booted off of the team)...These deals were made when the Canucks were still trying to give the Sedins a last kick at the can,and fill the age gap,'compete on the fly'..etc.

Byfuglien and Wheeler played for the Atlanta Thrashers back in 2011...Well before Benning entered the picture.

Doesn’t matter if it’s “getting old” or not, the impact remains with us either way.

And my point stands that Benning has done very poorly in the trade market in his time here which puts additional pressure on the draft to push this rebuild forward.

Dismissing things because they aren’t “franchise crippling” is setting the bar incredibly low. Granted that’s where you’d have to set it to keep pumping this guys tired for as long as you’ve been.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006

Not if Pettersson graduates. The Canucks prospect pool without Peterson isn’t even top15, let alone top5. If you think it is, I’d like to see your list and explanation. For my part, I will do the same.

A major reason why the pool is seen in a favourable light is because the Canucks have been one of the most reluctant teams to graduate prospects at the same rate as other teams. They are filling holes with middling vets and waiver junk instead. Thereby crowding what few prospects they do have below the NHL. (I think this is a reaction to the Virtanen/McCann early graduation debacle) As a result, it appears stronger than it actually is. Demko and Juolevi should have been up already. Dahlen could be there. Pettersson etc... The cupboards could be empty pretty fast with a few decisions.

Last edited:

Breakers

Make Mirrored Visors Legal Again
Aug 5, 2014
Denver Colorado
Not if Pettersson graduates. The Canucks prospect pool without Peterson isn’t even top15, let alone top5. If you think it is, I’d like to see your list and explanation. For my part, I will do the same.

I agree
Without Pettersson this is a bottom half of the league prospect pool.

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
Doesn’t matter if it’s “getting old” or not, the impact remains with us either way.

And my point stands that Benning has done very poorly in the trade market in his time here which puts additional pressure on the draft to push this rebuild forward.

Dismissing things because they aren’t “franchise crippling” is setting the bar incredibly low. Granted that’s where you’d have to set it to keep pumping this guys tired for as long as you’ve been.
The bigger impact was not having any prospect pool to speak of up until a few years ago..(since were on the topic of prospect pools)...

I will agree that Benning hasn't really 'hit it out of the park' as far as trades...He realistically hasn't had that much to trade..

Post Eriksson deal I've liked what Benning has done..I like the scouting staff,and the coach...so yeah..optimistic.

Bleach Clean

Aug 9, 2006
I agree
Without Pettersson this is a bottom half of the league prospect pool.

And that’s not to be negative either. Other teams have been drafting with the same frequency over the same time span. The margins between clubs is not significant. The difference here is that the quality of picks have been better. But that only goes so far when other teams are unearthing great prospects even without high picks. That’s why pick frequency is so important. It’s about the only edge teams have in creating a disparity for good prospects.

ProstheticConscience

Check dein Limit
Apr 30, 2010
Canuck Nation
A) Quietly? No. Not around here. It's all we ever hear about.

B) Outside of Pettersson, it's averageish if that.

C) Outside of Juolevi, there is nothing on the backend. Like...nothing. Besides him there's a couple of free agents in Utica who might make the jump to being 3rd pairing guys a la Biega. So really, there's bugger all.

D) The prospect pool should be a lot bigger and better after three years of being the worst team in the NHL, but our feckless leader refuses to acquire draft picks. It's amazing how a guy whose defenders constantly talk up as being a great drafter refuses to actually draft.

E) The prospect pool unsurprisingly doesn't contain Boeser. Why? He's not a prospect, he's an NHL player. That's what teams can get when they actually use their picks well. Beating a dead horse at this point I know, but Boston didn't get a prospect like Juolevi as their 2016 1st rounder, they got McAvoy. Who's currently a top 4 dman on a team in the 2nd round of the playoffs.

mossey3535

Feb 7, 2011
Not proportionally to their finishes, that's for sure.

And temper your expectations for Demko. It all looks good from here but remember Schneider was a mess when he came up and it took him a couple of shots at the NHL level, as well as Melanson, to really get his NHL career going.

In Demko's game here his flaws were apparent and numerous. Tearing it up in the AHL IMO Is _required_, and a good indication of how his progression is tracking. But the jump is difficult, and doesn't entirely translate.

He probably needs one more season down at the AHL level, preferably with a team that's actually good. Not overperforming against all odds.

It is actually easier to be on a crap team facing a ton of shots at a lower level. Everyone knows you suck so even with the starter's load there is a lot less pressure. When you are on a better team facing fewer shots but have to make more timely saves and stay mentally focused the whole time that is really difficult. I say this because many of you appear to be making predictions that I think will ultimately lead to disappointment.

Remember Hellebuyck had better NCAA numbers than Demko, and similar AHL numbers. Then he came up and did quite well. Then the next year he fell off a cliff. The point is, it's very unpredictable.

Reactions: racerjoe

ChilliBilly

Aug 22, 2007
chilliwacki
On D we have a little bit of potential, Chadfield, Juolevi, Rathbone and Tryamkin all have a reasonable chance of playing for the Canucks. Juolevi is pretty much a can't miss NHLer. (He may be a disappoint and borderline player, but he will get time in the NHL, probably this season) Tryamkin its a matter of when he comes back.

I do like the fact that Chadfield was undrafted, and is being compared to Tanev in his poise.

Ryp37

Nov 6, 2011

Look at other teams that went through a rebuild, all of them had multiple years with multiple picks in the top 100 where they found useful players

Pastor Of Muppetz

Oct 1, 2017
On D we have a little bit of potential, Chadfield, Juolevi, Rathbone and Tryamkin all have a reasonable chance of playing for the Canucks. Juolevi is pretty much a can't miss NHLer. (He may be a disappoint and borderline player, but he will get time in the NHL, probably this season) Tryamkin its a matter of when he comes back.

I do like the fact that Chadfield was undrafted, and is being compared to Tanev in his poise.
Also,Ashton Sautner was pretty solid in his number of games up here...I think he demonstrated that he can be an NHL regular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad