Have the canucks quietly built up a solid prospect pool?

varano

Jun 27, 2013
Over time, you see the canucks quietly just building a great prospect pool.

I'm excited to see Demkos NHL career start and have to assume he gets 30 games this season. Boeser has proven himself to be a beast etc.

How does the Canucks prospect pool stack up vs the rest of the NHL? Is it top 5 at this point?

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014

I'm excited to see Demkos NHL career start and have to assume he gets 30 games this season. Boeser has proven himself to be a beast etc.

How does the Canucks prospect pool stack up vs the rest of the NHL? Is it top 5 at this point?

The Hockey News Future Watch ranked it at #7 for what that is worth.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
May 25, 2014

Hmmmm we have our biases but here they are (including rookies):

Goalie:

Demko
Dipietro

Fwd:

Pettersson
Gaudette
Boeser
Dahlen
Lindy Boy

Lockwood
Palmu

D:

We need d prospects

Peter10

Dec 7, 2003
Germany
I fail to see why Boeser is still included in the "prospect pool" after finishing his first full season. Sure he is of course still very young but I wouldnt count him a prospect anymore. So that leaves the Canucks with Pettersson, Demko, Dahlen and Juolevi as the top prospects along with some solid guys in Lind and Gaudette.

Its probably save to say the Canucks have an above average prospect pool but even if you look at who has graduated (Boeser, Virtanen) its hardly something to get overly excited about in particular if you consider what could have been if they were really rebuilding instead of just being the worst team over the last 3 years caused by sheer incompetence.

Reactions: digger18

Fire Benning

diaper filled piss baby
Oct 2, 2016
Hell
It's a fine prospect pool, better than it was before although let's be honest that's an insanely low bar. It should be pretty good based on low the team has finished in recent years, even then a lot of it isn't that different than other team's prospect pools (some of those teams being higher than the Canucks standings-wise). Pettersson is really the only one that stands out as speical compared to other prospect pools around the league, and there is still uncertainity surrounding some of the other key guys in terms of what they'll become. Dahlen looks like a quality piece, Gaudette will probably become an NHLer but in what capacity? Lind looks decent, but the league he's playing in must be considered. Gadjovich looks alright, but it's nothing amazing. Demko looks good, but goalie development can be unpredictable. And the field on defense is barren. As fans, we tend overrate prospects and imagine every single one of them bursting through their ceilings and becoming key players for the team for years to come as we win multiple Stanley Cups, when in reality a good chunk of them will barely scrape their floors if not bust completely.

Melvin

21/12/05
Sep 29, 2017
Montreal, QC
It was around 10th-15th before the start of the season. Considering the graduation of Boeser and our refusal to trade for prospects during the year, it is probably lower now.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
LWCRW
?????????
??????Pettersson
DahlenGaudetteGadjovich
?????????
LD.RD
??????
??????
??????
G
Demko
Dipietro
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Its pretty darn barren...

Lind ? Palmu ? Jasek ? Lockwood was well regarded before his bad injury
Juolevi ? Brassard has even been pretty decent for a 7th rounder thus far

High end talent we are lacking, yes, but the cupboards aren't exactly a barren landscape

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Lind ? Palmu ? Jasek ? Lockwood was well regarded before his bad injury
Juolevi ? Brassard has even been pretty decent for a 7th rounder thus far

High end talent we are lacking, yes, but the cupboards aren't exactly a barren landscape

Projecting them to be regular NHL players is pretty optimistic?
I dropped them in to where we can somewhat safely project the players to be.

Serac

#HFOutcasts
Jun 27, 2014
B.C.
Projecting them to be regular NHL players is pretty optimistic?
I dropped them in to where we can somewhat safely project the players to be.

In that regard I suppose that's somewhat fair (though that being said, Juolevi should be an nhl regular, it's just a matter of where he slots in)

But in a thread where we're discussing our pool of prospects, I don't think it's as barren as your post lead on

Mr. Canucklehead

Kitimat Canuck
Dec 14, 2002
Kitimat, BC
It's a bit of a chicken and egg scenario. For a team that's been so awful for several seasons, we SHOULD have a good prospect pool. And we do. Boeser has graduated from the prospect ranks and become a legitimate impact player, but Pettersson is exciting as all get out, Demko looks like a stud, Virtanen and Juolevi are still developing, and hopefully guys like Lind, Dahlen, Gadjovich, DiPietro, Lockwood, etc. can pan out.

There is the point, though, that it could have been even better - Virtanen and Juolevi are still developing, but it's tough to watch the guys picked immediately after them (some of whom a large number of posters here badly wanted the Canucks to pick) already making an impact in the NHL.

Anyway - to answer your question: yes, I think the Canucks have built a pretty damn good prospect pool, although it hasn't been very quiet! It could have been a bit better with some shrewder decisions at the draft table, too.

Nuckles

_________
Apr 27, 2010
heck
Our prospect pool should be better than what it is now considering where we have been drafting
Not just that, but the only draft we've had more than 7 picks is because of the dumb coach compensation thing with Torts. We're been trading away picks like candy, including 2nds in 2015 and 2016, without acquiring any additional early picks despite being a bottom feeder for most of the past five years.

Our prospect pool is okay but not amazing. Definitely not good enough for what our team has gone through in the past few years.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Definitely a good pool which you'd expect given our low finishes. Bad luck in the draft lottery and a couple of not great picks in Virtanen and Juolevi (I'm still somewhat optimistic on both and especially Juolevi developing) have hurt but been somewhat balanced with home runs in Boeser and Petterson. Imagine where we'd be if we hit the right pick in the Juolevi and Virtanen drafts or had some lottery luck. Mind you in the Petterson draft we probably won by moving down in the draft.
I'll be more excited if we make some bold moves before the draft to get a couple more picks.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
In that regard I suppose that's somewhat fair (though that being said, Juolevi should be an nhl regular, it's just a matter of where he slots in)

But in a thread where we're discussing our pool of prospects, I don't think it's as barren as your post lead on

Well to me it looks like another ~4 years of drafting high.

8 year rebuild shouldn't be acceptable.

CanaFan

Feb 19, 2010
BC
Prospect pool isn’t the problem. The problem is the lack of productive trades over the past 4 years. I count exactly one trade - Dahlen - that looks like it has the potential to be a long term part of a rebuild. The remainder - Gudbranson, Sutter, Baertschi, Granlund, Prust - have just frittered assets away while contributing nothing of long term value to the team.

A team like Winnipeg, in addition to their drafting, acquired core pieces like Byfuglien, Wheeler, and Myers in trades over that time. Not to say Benning should be able to match the quality of those deals - those may be among the best trades in the past 8 years - but he needs to accomplish more than just Dahlen over a span of 5 summers. Relying entirely on the draft for talent - esp when no additional picks are being acquired - is what will keep this rebuild on a snail’s pace.

Knight53

#6 #9 #17 #35 #40 #43
Jun 23, 2015
Vancouver
The prospect pool is probably top 3 in the league right now with a case to be number 1, things will change after the 2018 draft. It should be much deeper as so many 2nds and mid round picks have been traded away like candy. The focus for the next 3 years should be defence, through the 2nd-7th rounds.

Most importantly we need a lottery win, a 1st overall or 2nd overall would go a long way. Need a McDavid/MacKinnon/Matthews/Eichel/Laine in the next 2-3 years. You have Jack Hughes/Kakko in 2019, Alexis Lafreniere/Quinton Byfield in 2020 etc

Matthews- ????
Marner-Pettersson
Nylander-Boeser
Kadri-Horvat
Grundstrom-Dahlen
Kapanen-Gaudette
Dermott - Juolevi

Laine-????
Scheifele-Horvat
Ehlers-Pettersson
Connor-Boeser
Vesalainen-Dahlen