Have players stopped wearing mouth guards?

Rebels57

Former Flyers fan
Sponsor
Sep 28, 2014
Provorov is the only Flyer that I am positive wears one and does not take it out at any point during the game.

LeafGrief

Shambles in my brain
Apr 10, 2015
Ottawa
They all take them out of their mouths the second play ends. Most of them put their hands to their mouths before they even raise their sticks after scoring.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
It's always the American players that have them sticking out of their mouths.
6429787047_b409024bd4_b.jpg

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I'm pretty sure Matthew Tkachuk wears a mouth guard for the sole purpose of chewing it to pieces every game

Reactions: Halakitlikethat

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
That chewing **** annoys me and Nylander is the worst. I just want to punch him in the face whenever I see him chewing on it. It’s ****ing disgusting.

I’ve trained and competed in muay thai for 15 years and not once did I remove my mouthpiece. It doesn’t feel great, but you get used to it, and nowdays there are mouthpieces that you barely feel. Chewing on it should result in a penalty shot and an automatic game misconduct for the chewing player.
Relax.

It becomes a habit. Its the same thing as biting, or tapping a pen.

GeeoffBrown

Jul 6, 2007
I cheer for a team that employs Matthew Tkachuk and Johnny Gaudreau, who both like to chew on the damn thing. In my opinion, improperly wearing your mouthguard should be a 2-minute equipment violation penalty. If the NHL took concussions seriously, it would be.

Tofveve

Mar 10, 2013
The West
I never even had a tiny issue with my mouth guard, rarely took it out except for the odd time to talk on the bench.

I have no clue what the problem is for these guys. And if it comes down to it there could be insurance issues with them on camera and it sticking out if the sides of their mouth or not being there altogether.

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
I see so many players without mouth guards, some got lots of teeth left, but many more are missing lots ! What about Pat Kane for instance, used to chew on his guard 24/7... he no longer has one? have many players stopped using mouth guards?
They wear white ones most players have them. Probably got in shit for not having it in his mouth.

Guy is worth ten million a year now

Plus the technology is probably better ten years ago they already bake fit them onto your teeth

Seanaconda

May 6, 2016
Personal Question:

I'm a novice player here, been playing for 3 months. Been wearing a mouth guard but it's difficult to breathe.
Weird question but how do you breathe with it?
Do I breathe just with my mouth? Breath just with my nose?
Get one that fits and breath normal . Sounds like its too big if its bothering you

If youre actually brand new to hockey maybe its just the skating?

We had to start wearing them around my last year or so in non beer league and it just made it hard to talk not breathe

If youre wearing a cage I doubt you really need it so go smaller

Last edited:

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
They will just buy a set of new teeth when they retire
But it's not that easy and simple.... if you have teeth missing, your jaw bones will disappear/diminish over time, your whole face will be different. I read an article about it. it is actually not a very good thing to lose teeth at a young age.

Last edited:

dkhockey

May 27, 2007
Europe
McDavid doesn't wear one either.
so it wasn't something i imagined, it it true, a lot of young players are not using them. i really think that is dumb as hell.

look at a young player like drew doughty, looks like crap with no front teeth, anyone know if he ever has worn a mouth guard, or did his teeth get knocked out even though he was wearing one ?

shoeshine boy

Aug 14, 2008
Personal Question:

I'm a novice player here, been playing for 3 months. Been wearing a mouth guard but it's difficult to breathe.
Weird question but how do you breathe with it?
Do I breathe just with my mouth? Breath just with my nose?

first thing you do is stop buying "off the rack" mouthguards. nowadays you can easily and affordably get a custom mouth guard. a friend of mine is the owner of Impact Mouthguards. you order a kit from their website, follow the easy instructions on how to make a mold, pick out your colors and add graphics, mail the kit back and within a few days they send your custom mouth guard back to you. cost is $50.
not only can I breathe with mine in but I can talk too.

Reactions: dkhockey

THall4

Feb 25, 2014
Edmonton, AB
so it wasn't something i imagined, it it true, a lot of young players are not using them. i really think that is dumb as hell.

look at a young player like drew doughty, looks like crap with no front teeth, anyone know if he ever has worn a mouth guard, or did his teeth get knocked out even though he was wearing one ?
He wore a mouth guard for sure..i think he still might...maybe he removed it because all he does is yap..got in the way.

BTW most of these guys have prosthetics they put in away from the rink...just remove it when they play. Have you seen Jeff Carter?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad