Has this been one of the worst first rounds in recent memory?

CartographerNo611

Oct 11, 2014
No, off season predicted bottom feeders the Flyers are giving the reigning champs a run for their money. Vegas is having a Cinderella run. Too slow and over the hill Sharks are looking mighty fine this year. The Peg are on fire and have a very solid chance for bringing the cup home. The Caps are either going to make a comeback and choke in 2nd round or just choke in the first. Bottom feeders with a horrible GM is making hf eat crow, Bruins look great.

Reactions: Mez

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Not all of us are homers. Some of us actually want to see some quality hockey be played with or without our favorite team.

No, I'm pretty sure what I said is 99% of the reason people feel this way.

BMOK33

Oct 5, 2005
Thought we would have no game 7s for a 2nd straight year after it had not happened since 2001 but may get one now

KCC

Aug 15, 2007
The only good thing about this first round has been Vegas sweeping LA. And even though it was a sweep, it had amazing intensity. I haven't really seen that in most of the other series so far. They do know it's the playoffs, right?

tshack

Apr 27, 2014
The only good thing about this first round has been Vegas sweeping LA. And even though it was a sweep, it had amazing intensity. I haven't really seen that in most of the other series so far. They do know it's the playoffs, right?
Have seen plenty in Boston/Toronto and Nashville/Colorado. The latter series feels more like Forsberg vs The Avs, but they're flying pretty much the entire game.

Reactions: adsfan

Lacaar

Jan 25, 2012
Edmonton
I think the first round has been a dud compared to recent years. but I also think the second round is shaping up to be awesome.

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Not all of us are homers. Some of us actually want to see some quality hockey be played with or without our favorite team.

A 4 or 5 game series can still be quality hockey. It has nothing to do with being a homer.

Or are you waiting for a 7 games series before you see some quality hockey? :confused:

Faterson

Delayed Live forever
Sponsor
Sep 18, 2012
Bratislava
Kings-Knights ended up being sweeps

Silly Thread of the Year, as evidenced by this snippet. All of them were one-goal games, it could easily be 2-2 right now or a sweep by the Kings. I enjoyed it despite "getting swept", as a Kings fan. I also enjoy seeing Winnipeg success – an NHL novelty – and the Caps vs. Jackets series has been exciting with 2 road wins apiece.

justafan22

Jun 22, 2014
It's been fine. We've been spoiled with great playoffs in recent years (2014 and 2013 mainly) that a blah playoff year like this one where it's good but not great is seen as an issue.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
For me personally asides from the bad reffing in some of the series this year has seen some good hockey.

I have been watching the Preds vs Avs. A lot of people thought that the Preds goal last night in Game 5 was kicked in. Other people thought that knocking the puck off of Pekka Rinne's leg pad in an earlier game should not have counted. I thought that both goals were good. I also thought that Andrighetto should have been kicked out of Game 4 for two spears on Hartman. Ironically, he scored the game winner in last night's game as Hartman was suspended.

Most of the time, NHL refs do a good job. When they don't, they are like pro wrestling refs not seeing things that 20,000 other people did.

Reactions: dukeofjive

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
My final ratings out of 10:

Washington vs Columbus - Didn't see much but it seemed like it started strong and died out a bit. 7
Pittsburgh vs Philadelphia - Not very close games or series but there was some fun offense. 5
Tampa Bay vs New Jersey - The games in NJ were good, outside of that is was ok hockey but not close. 5
Boston vs Toronto - Despite it going seven games Boston seemed to be in control for the most part. 8
Nashville vs Colorado - The highest peak series but not quite competitive enough to be really great. 8
Winnipeg vs Minnesota - Dud outside of game 3 and a few feisty moments. 3
Vegas vs Los Angeles - It was good at the start but after a while it felt like Groundhog Day(same thing over and over). 6
Anaheim vs San Jose - Lame effort by the Ducks made for a boring uncompetitive series. 2

Most of the series' had at least one interesting team which helped, but even with that it averaged out to be 5.5 out of 10 per series which seems about right. Bring on the second round!

the_fan

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 25, 2006
Generally NHL playoffs doesn't have the same intensity and excitement today as it was back in the 90's. Back in those days every game was intense and every goal was hard fought for because when teams had a 2 goal lead, it was extremely hard to come back from it, now days 2, 3 or even 4 goal leads are nothing, because it's so easy to come back from being down few goals, that takes the intensity out of the game in the playoffs.

Last edited:

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
People are used to fairly monumental upsets in the first round. This year none. Doesn't mean it was a bad or boring round.

My Best-Carey

Luigi Lemieux

Sep 26, 2003
It was worse than usual but it's looking to be balanced out by the 2nd round looking spectacular.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad