Has this been one of the worst first rounds in recent memory?

koyvoo

Nov 8, 2014
There have been great sequences in games or good games with plenty of drama, but generally most series seem less competitive than usual. Especially if just looking at wins/losses.

Reactions: Hot Pockets

IceNeophyte

Nov 14, 2017
This thread in a nutshell: the teams I want to win aren't winning.

I don't know. Most matchups are leaning toward chalk (I took SJS-ANA as a pick em, even though ANA was the higher seed). I think tournaments that go chalk are more on the boring side. We need a UMBC. Let's go, Devils!

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Only been a handful of compelling games, a lot of the series have been complete duds. Some of the series that looked like they would close 6 or 7 game battles that were hard fought until the very end like Ducks-Sharks and Kings-Knights ended up being sweeps, every game of Penguins-Flyers have been blowouts. Caps-Jackets has produced some decent hockey but it's nothing amazing, and if the rest of the Bruins-Leafs are close games that could end up being a good and close series. But overall, this round has been a complete snoozefest in my opinion.
Been kinda weird. Looked like some really compelling match ups (as you said) but my goodness they're falling flat.
If the Leafs can play more like Monday and less like last week that one may be salvaged. Same goes with Washington.
The 4 WC series may require less than 20 games total. That's brutal. Of course, right now, there's no guarantee that there will be more than 20 games played in the East.

Crazy.

Martinez

Go Blue
Oct 10, 2015
I’ve been mostly watching the jackets caps and bruins leafs, so I guess I picked the right set of series

Mikeshane

Jan 15, 2013
Absolute dud of a first round so far, all 6 series that have 4 games played are basically over.

It's not common but occasionally the 2nd round is better which hopefully happens this year.

bdub24

iNsErT bAnNeR jOkE hErE
Sponsor
Mar 4, 2013
La la land
NSH/COL have been intense.PIT/PHI have been tough to watch. Haven't seen enough of other games to judge, but nothing is sweeter than seeing the Ducks get another quick ejection from the playoffs.

Reactions: Luc Labelle

Five Alarm Fire

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jun 17, 2009
Usually threads like this are hyperbolic but I fully agree. Usually there is more parity in the first round

Trap Jesus

Feb 13, 2012
People say this every year.
This is a legit criticism this year though. More 3+ goal wins than 1-goal wins and a third of the 1-goal wins came in a sweep. Not having any confirmed games 6's at this point is crazy, although we'll see after tonight.

Kale Hulls

May 15, 2013
Columbus/Washington really has been the only compelling series. It's very possible that we don't have a single game 7 this round.

Legionnaire11

Jul 12, 2007
Murfreesboro
atlantichockeyleague.com
I can't imagine how miserable my life would be I'd the only hockey game I considered exciting was a game 7.

Then again, by their own admission most HF posters only watch 50-75% of their own team's games. Even in this thread "The playoffs are so boring, I've only watched Xxxxxx vs Yyyyyy and it's been awful" perspective is something that HF boards is sorely lacking.

DEVILS130

Aug 14, 2008
PA
I can’t believe how historically bad the Pens-Flyers series has been (relative to expectations). Anyone know of another recent series that has featured so many blowouts? Like even the game the Flyers won was a blowout

Daisy Ridley

Feb 28, 2018
I've thoroughly enjoyed watching every series so far. The Jackets Capitals has been exhilarating every single game. Is overtime boring now or something?

Ocoee

Sep 1, 2010
Denver
Jackets/Caps series has been good. Kings/Knights series was good too even though it was a sweep. The only series i did not watch any of was sharks/ducks. I think the avs/preds series has been the worst.

Festinator

Apr 6, 2016
Calgary
You can clearly tell who has been watching the games and who's just been looking at the series scores. The thought that Vegas vs LA was boring just because it was a sweep is laughable. Anyone that's watched the Jets vs Wild would know that it's far from boring. Avs vs Preds have been entertaining games. I didn't watch any of the Sharks vs Ducks so I can't comment on that series. The only series I've been a bit disappointed by is the Pens vs Flyers series.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad