Has this been one of the worst first rounds in recent memory?

GodEmperor

Oct 12, 2017
Not for the Leafs and Bruins, whoever makes it through, I doubt the next series(s) will match the intensity and hatred.

SabresSharks

Oct 2, 2007
I'm ecstatic the Sharks are playing so well, but I have to agree with the OP.

In general, the games lack the intensity of past years. The series aren't close, although that could certainly change. CBJ is the only team with a good shot at a major upset, which is often a feature of the 1st Round, but even that's far less likely than it appeared two games ago.

Regardless, I'll still be glued to the games.

Reactions: KirkAlbuquerque

Jack722

Mar 3, 2018
So far this is the worst playoff hockey ever. Least competitive.
I'm sure if your a fan of Vegas and the other winning teams it's the best.
But the quality of play has suffered greatly.
It doesn't help with the talent so spread out and diluted.
A lot of average and no great teams.
A couple pretty good but who is real dominate?

So you're complaining that the first round isn't competitive, AND that there are no dominant teams? Do you realize these concepts are mutually exclusive?

HugoSimon

Jan 25, 2013
ITT: "the first round sucks because my team sucks and didn't make the playoffs or was sent golfing within 5 games."
Or all the teams I'm interested in are already finished round 1 and I am stuck waiting for round 2. Whatever mental gymnastics you want to put yourself true, the fact is the format is being challenge by the nature of these games.

Why even bother with a first round.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
It's been great in the west. The ducks got swept, the Wild are getting shellacked (even though they won 1), and the Preds-avs series has been a lot of fun to watch so far.

DRL

Mar 2, 2003
Brampton, Ontario
Round 1 may have been meh with the quick series, but thanks to this format round 2 sets up as pure gold.

Boston Tampa
Penguins caps
Preds jets
Vegas sharks

That’s 4 grade A matchups. And The semis and finals should be spectacular as well.

Reactions: Devonator

vuvuzela

Jul 6, 2010
I've enjoyed:

Kings/Knights
Sharks/Ducks
Tampa/NJ (Devils fan here)

I've somewhat enjoyed:

Philly/Pittsburgh - Not a fan of either team, since each win has been a blowout I've enjoyed it.
Boston/Toronto - Enjoyed Games 1 and 2 for the laughs, Game 3 for the Toronto response, Game 4 frustrated me though
Columbus/Washington - Liked Columbus taking a 2-0 lead, love Washington tying it up. Hope this one goes 7.

Haven't really paid attention to:

Nashville/Colorado - Box score and highlights seem to show an overmatched Colorado team playing gutsy hockey.
Winnipeg/Minnesota - Minny winning Game 3 had me almost wanting to watch Game 4, Parise injury and Dumba possibly playing hurt killed my buzz.

Sometimes the first round is amazing, this year it seems like the 2nd round and beyond is where the magic will happen.

No real complaints here. Some surprise playoff teams are getting valuable playoff experience and if it works out the way it seems to be trending, Boston/Tampa, Pittsburgh/Washington. SJ/Vegas, and Nashville/Winnipeg should all be fantastic.

TimThomas24

Jun 13, 2013
The answer is yes and its not even a question. Go look at past year brackets and you’ll understand.

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
I really can't think of a worse one, it's been that bad. I have high hopes for the second round, though.

Jets and maybe the Preds. Maybe Caps and Pens.

Hnnnnggggg

Zanon

Apr 4, 2008
Vancouver
ITT: "the first round sucks because my team sucks and didn't make the playoffs or was sent golfing within 5 games."
Not all of us are homers. Some of us actually want to see some quality hockey be played with or without our favorite team.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad