Has Quebec City been priced out of the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
Yes, unfortunately for us the NHL doesn’t want to fix the imbalance in Canada ( 4 teams in the West and 3 in the East). Conspicuously, they didn’t care about this « balance » when Columbus, Florida, Tampa, Atlanta , Carolina and New Jersey were awarded teams.

I know they were the Colorado Rockies/ KC Scouts before. It didn’t matter then to the NHL to allow a move from a Western market to an Eastern one while the imbalance was even worse . I believe it’s the first time in the history of the league that this « we have to balance the conferences » argument is used, and they created this knowingly by moving Detroit and Columbus to the Eastern Conference.
I agree with you guys. My point is that the NHL can set up the divisions and conferences any way they like. The alignment can be changed and previously was changed after new teams and markets joined the league, including Winnipeg . The present alignment is built this way simply because Jacobs and others want teams in Seattle, Vegas and Houston( if Arizona has to move). Of course they present it in a seemingly logical way, with the time zones and geography, but you still have one conference that has to deal with 3 time zones. How is that fair? The BoG could think ‘outside the box’ to fix this ( especially if they want to change the playoffs format), but it fits their agenda . I believe this is the first time the alignment has been designed to include future desirable markets.
This is true, but the thing is Jacobs (not Bettman) and some of the other owners didnt want Quebec at the time. The NHLPA has also been paying lip service, saying they should have a team, but high profile players will avoid Quebec like they do other smaller canadian markets. There should be push back from the other canadian markets, but apparantly not.

Last edited:

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
I'm a Lyft driver in Las Vegas. Picked up a couple this morning from QC who arrived for Saturday's VGK game (they might try for Friday's game as well). They commented how QC seems to have been forgotten by NHL. I suggested that they might be the home for a relocated EC team. That didn't placate them.

Beggers can be choosers eh.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
This is true, but the thing is Jacobs (not Bettman) and some of the other owners didnt want Quebec at the time. The NHLPA has also been paying lip service, saying they should have a team, but high profile players will avoid Quebec like they do other smaller canadian markets. There should be push back from the other canadian markets, but apparantly not.

My only hope is for the Winnipeg Jets to win it all in these playoffs. It would show the NHL and all those high profile players that a ''small Canadian market'' doesn't need much to be a successful and winning franchise.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
My only hope is for the Winnipeg Jets to win it all in these playoffs. It would show the NHL and all those high profile players that a ''small Canadian market'' doesn't need much to be a successful and winning franchise.
What the hell are you talking about? Jets are loaded with talents. What do you mean they don’t need much to be successful?

Also from what I understand Winnipeg has far more corporate sponsors than QC and its still the smallest market in NHL. That works against QC and not for.

This Canadian nationalism kills me.

powerstuck

Nordiques Hopes Lies
Jan 13, 2012
Town NHL hates !
What the hell are you talking about? Jets are loaded with talents. What do you mean they don’t need much to be successful?

Also from what I understand Winnipeg has far more corporate sponsors than QC and its still the smallest market in NHL. That works against QC and not for.

What I am talking about is that NHLPA said that high skilled players DO NOT want to go to small Canadian markets. This is also daily encouraged by posts in the Trade board right here on HF.

What I am talking about is that Winnipeg is a small Canadian market.

What I am talking about is that Winnipeg is either doing much better despite NHL+NHLPA saying it cannot because it's a small Canadian market...OR Winnipeg is loaded with talent like you say...which then counters the NHL+NHLPA talk.

And you don't have to worry about Quebec City's corporate support. Let us have a franchise and they you will see.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007

This is not nationalism, more about the fact the Canadian teams have been so bad because Canadian players refuse to play for them. Jacobs doesn't have to allow a team in Quebec as long as the entire NHL apparatus (board + union) is against more canadian markets.

Reactions: rosenqvist

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
What I am talking about is that NHLPA said that high skilled players DO NOT want to go to small Canadian markets. This is also daily encouraged by posts in the Trade board right here on HF.

What I am talking about is that Winnipeg is either doing much better despite NHL+NHLPA saying it cannot because it's a small Canadian market...OR Winnipeg is loaded with talent like you say...which then counters the NHL+NHLPA talk.

And you don't have to worry about Quebec City's corporate support. Let us have a franchise and they you will see.
I don't worry about corporate support in Quebec City but I am sure NHL does. And thats what matters pal.

Seriously, NHL doesn't care if players don't want to play in city X. Otherwise Cleveland would not have ANY sports teams at all. So you don't have to worry about NHL not giving QC a team because of that. Nor NHLPA because if it means more jobs then they aren't going to stop QC expansion.

Melrose Munch

Mar 18, 2007
I don't worry about corporate support in Quebec City but I am sure NHL does. And thats what matters pal.

Seriously, NHL doesn't care if players don't want to play in city X. Otherwise Cleveland would not have ANY sports teams at all. So you don't have to worry about NHL not giving QC a team because of that. Nor NHLPA because if it means more jobs then they aren't going to stop QC expansion.
If this was honest on the NHLs part, Quebec would be number 33. The NHLPA has that survey, and the markets the NHL wants to avoid are the markets on the most NTC lists. It matters. You can bring up Winnipeg, but they were the only city prepared at the time. Portland wasn't payin and frankly who could blame Paul Allen. There's a mutual agreement to expand the game. The NHLPA survey might say the players want a team there, but will they have stars? Will they get UFAs? Or will they have to be all in the draft?

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
If this was honest on the NHLs part, Quebec would be number 33. The NHLPA has that survey, and the markets the NHL wants to avoid are the markets on the most NTC lists. It matters. You can bring up Winnipeg, but they were the only city prepared at the time. Portland wasn't payin and frankly who could blame Paul Allen. There's a mutual agreement to expand the game. The NHLPA survey might say the players want a team there, but will they have stars? Will they get UFAs? Or will they have to be all in the draft?
If they wanted to deperately avoid Winnipeg they could have found the way.

TheLegend

Megathread Gadfly
Aug 30, 2009
Buzzing BoH

Winnipeg's roster is currently comprised mainly of players they drafted with very few FAs and a small dusting of trades.

It's not a secret many FAs don't want to go there. That's doesn't mean that ALL of them wouldn't go. Obviously they convinced enough of them.

As an outsider, I'm very impressed with TNSE. They didn't try to "buy themselves a champion".

Reactions: powerstuck

HamiltonNHL

Parity era hockey is just puck luck + draft luck
Jan 4, 2012
Hamilton can afford a team, but the NHL only cares about American TV contracts.
Canadian teams don't help Bettman and the NHL make more TV money.

gordie

5x
Jul 9, 2002
hfboards.com
Quebec City has two chances at getting their Nordiques back within the next 5 years since Las Vegas and Seattle took their expansion route. How does the small market Carolina Hurricanes fare under new ownership and can the Arizona Coyotes get a new arena built in a part of the Phoenix Metro area that can draw the fans? Miami is out. Too big a market and no arena problem. Ottawa isn't moving to a smaller market within Canada and same goes for Calgary.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Quebec City has two chances at getting their Nordiques back within the next 5 years since Las Vegas and Seattle took their expansion route. How does the small market Carolina Hurricanes fare under new ownership and can the Arizona Coyotes get a new arena built in a part of the Phoenix Metro area that can draw the fans? Miami is out. Too big a market and no arena problem. Ottawa isn't moving to a smaller market within Canada and same goes for Calgary.

Coyotes aren't going east if relocated. NHL doesn't want to go 15/17 when they finally got to 16/16.

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
Hamilton can afford a team, but the NHL only cares about American TV contracts.
Canadian teams don't help Bettman and the NHL make more TV money.

You think they want to may more than 650m+arena cost + having to pay in addition to getting the okay from Buffalo and Toronto? I don't think so.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
Coyotes aren't going east if relocated. NHL doesn't want to go 15/17 when they finally got to 16/16.
add to that please provide factual evidence about Florida when posting about the Panthers since Miami is not their territory, when Broward County owns the lease over BB & T Center, not an opinion since it's been publically rebuked as to why and/or how hard that lease is to break as MNN has stated at least twice when that has been brought up.

MNNumbers

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 17, 2011
^^^^
Will say this again.....
Florida is not going anywhere, because of the legalities of their current lease. I think, although I can't remember, that they have no breakage rights until 2023. At that point, the fee to break the lease seems to be less costly than the assumed losses for the last few years of the lease.....so....Florida is not in play for QC until 2023

Carolina, we assume, was purchased under the usual 7-yr non-relocation guarantee. Although we do not know that for sure, because we can't read the contract, that would mean that Carolina is not in play for QC until 2025.

The teams which may be in play right now, for anyone, are....
Ottawa because Melnyk owns CTC, and can therefore do whatever he wants.
Islanders if and only if the whole Belmont thing falls through, which is HIGHLY unlikely.
Arizona
Calgary, because the Flames and the city seem to be unable to agree much on a new arena.

Obviously, if Jacobs and Bettman had their choice, CGY or ARZ would move to Houston, and one would be foolish to assume that Bettman and the Calgary or Arizona owners haven't talked about that, but it requires Fertitta to pay their price.

So, of that group, it seems that the best hope for QC is actually Ottawa, and after that, it's that Fertitta won't pay NHL prices, and something has to happen because AZ or CGY can't stay where they are (and, I don't think it's the case that CGY can't stay; they just want more than what they currently get.)

Last edited:
Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

gstommylee

Jan 31, 2012
add to that please provide factual evidence about Florida when posting about the Panthers since Miami is not their territory, when Broward County owns the lease over BB & T Center, not an opinion since it's been publically rebuked as to why and/or how hard that lease is to break as MNN has stated at least twice when that has been brought up.

I never brought up Florida i was talking about the coyotes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad