Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man Bear Pig

Aug 10, 2008
Earth
People seem to forget that Matthews is just a kid. He's also being shadowed by arguably the best defensive forward of the last 10+ years in PB. I'm no TM fan but Matthews is going to be just fine moving forward. Sometimes you have to lose in order to learn how to win.
Stop it. You need to follow the narrative and pile on. Kick em while they're down. It's HF tradition.

DudeWhereIsMakar

Bergevin sent me an offer sheet
Apr 25, 2014
Winnipeg
Matthews really hit a sophomore slump this season. But I think it could bring more motivation back to him going into next season.

WJCJ

Sep 27, 2017
I am a Bruins fan and of course I have really enjoyed this series so far but it's only been two games. Mathews is a great player, let's not forget what Bergeron, Krejci, and Chara did to Pittsburgh a few seasons ago. I think it was 1 point between Crosby and Malkin in that entire series and that was on a pp goal if I remember correctly. These guys are elite defensive players. He'll be fine, I just hope it's not in this series.

Reactions: Mugzy97

Plural

Mar 10, 2011
Big games...the first two games in round one? Funny, he was great last year in round one and I wouldn't consider those big games. Not exactly talking game 7 OT here. But yeah, clearly.

One could argue that every playoff game is a big game.

Nevertheless, Matthews is still one of the best Leafs this postseason. I do think he needs to be better in home games, but the entire team is struggling and Matthews has been among the best Leafs so far. Granted it's sort of like saying he's been the tallest midget, but still.

Reactions: draft day

ole ole

Oct 7, 2017
One could argue that every playoff game is a big game.

Nevertheless, Matthews is still one of the best Leafs this postseason. I do think he needs to be better in home games, but the entire team is struggling and Matthews has been among the best Leafs so far. Granted it's sort of like saying he's been the tallest midget, but still.
Love that.The tallest midget.:laugh:

Lovedemfanboys

Oct 25, 2017
Lot of cheap shots and ad hominem on this thread. Matthews hasn't been as good as Toronto ten projected him to be but he isn't problem either. The kid is 20 years old. Next game will be interesting to watch. I bet he will have a great game.

ccman68

Dec 9, 2017
Problem is that Matthews sucks on the powerplay. When you are getting shut down by a guy like Bergeron you have to make up for it by scoring on the powerplay. Matthews just cant do that.

Leafs fans only care about even strenght points though so i guess it doesnt even matter.

Braunbaer

May 21, 2012
I don't really get the argument that he is playing against Bergeron.
Yes, Bergeron is one of the best shutdown-centers in the game, but a generational player like Matthews should be able to overcome this from time to time.
It's not like Bergeron can render every opponent invisible.

NDiesel

Mar 22, 2008
NWO
Matthews is the only player from the Leafs I would salivate to have playing for us.
I would really love Marner too....but his play this serious so far may be changing that opinion, he isn't handling the physical game too well.

Spirit of 67

Nov 25, 2016
Aurora, On.
Lots of players struggle early on in their playoff careers. No need to be concerned yet.

It would also be easier on him if he had help. No one is playing well. Not just him.

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
I would really love Marner too....but his play this serious so far may be changing that opinion, he isn't handling the physical game too well.
You nailed it, re Marner. I have doubts that he could play through serious physical play. That's why I have not mentioned him. It's very early in his career, so nothing is set in stone, though.

danpantz

Mar 31, 2013
I don't really get the argument that he is playing against Bergeron.
Yes, Bergeron is one of the best shutdown-centers in the game, but a generational player like Matthews should be able to overcome this from time to time.
It's not like Bergeron can render every opponent invisible.

I'm not going too far out on a limb in saying that Crosby is much better than Matthews and Bergeron has shut him down multiple times.

Bergeron is more of a generational player than Matthews right now and it's been on full display so far in this series.

Matthews isn't struggling, he's getting dominated by a better player on a better line.

Reactions: HailMcJesus

Sting

Feb 8, 2004
He's not even in the same stratosphere as McDavid, we know that. Having watched the last two games, he seems overwhelmed and ineffective. A little surprised honestly.

hambone1818

Feb 6, 2009
North 'Merica
Matthews is running into the best defensive forward of this generation and a good team defensive approach. I do think part of it is his age and inexperience in the playoffs, but it's a tough matchup for the kid. This doesn't mean anything long-term, and really it doesn't mean he can't have a huge game on Monday, but I think he's been neutralized in this postseason so far.

ConnorMcMullet

#12 Colby Cave
Jun 10, 2017
He has been mostly invisible, although a lot of credit is due to the Bruins top line, Bergeron in particular.

The only player that Bergeron can't shut down is McDavid. Just too much speed and skill.

Reactions: Tage2Tuch
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad