Has Matthews struggled in the playoffs?

Status
Not open for further replies.

behemolari

Dec 1, 2011
Matthews is just firing pucks at the net from the perimeter. This is the playoffs and he needs to use his size to drive more at the net. But maybe he is hurt. This perimeter stuff doesn't work facing a goalie that stops pucks.

tell that to the guy drafted after him :laugh:

Mantis

I am a doctah
Mar 7, 2011
Crimetown, Saskatchewan
IMG_1620.jpg

ffh

Jul 16, 2016
Blessing in disguise when leafs negotiate new contract in few months. Probably get him for 12x8 now.

poolparty98

Aug 6, 2017
Blessing in disguise when leafs negotiate new contract in few months. Probably get him for 12x8 now.

Max term is now 8 yrs, so no chance he gets 12 yrs. As for 8 million, hard to justify that when Pastrnak has more points in two games in playoffs than you had since Christmas.

I don’t think leafs commit long term to this player after his season showing. I’d offer a bridge deal

JianYang

Sep 29, 2017
Of course he has struggled. The whole team has struggled. If your top centre is MIA, you can't win in this league.

That being said, there's still time to turn things around, but if it doesn't start in game 3, this puppy is done.

cneely

Jan 6, 2005
He's getting shut down for sure, but if I were a Leaf fan, I'd be more concerned about Andersen.

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
GP: 6
G: 4
P: 5
PPG: 0.63

While Austin had a decent showing last playoffs, he's been held scoreless this year. For such a high calibre goalscorer during the regular season, does Austin have trouble elevating his game for the playoffs or has his team failed to support him?

I'm sure it's been mentioned, but you are bad at math. 5/6 is .83, not .63.

What I have learned is Matthews is better in the playoffs than you are at basic math.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Matthews is still a kid. Playing against Bergeron (and even Krejci) is a great learning experience for him.
He is not the one to worry about, however Nylander seems to just not battle and Zaitsev is awful. Marner is a small dude, but seems to have more grit than most of Leaf players, which I find odd.

Zaitsev is buyout material at this point IMO. Leafs definitely should regret that 7-year contract.

Reactions: 99664987

DrJustice

Dec 1, 2014
Boston, MA
He seemed much more active the 2nd game, using his frame and speed to generate opportunities. Slowly starting to impact the game the longer the series goes on.

Kind of like how Rick Nash has generated a lot but only has one goal to show for it. He's made an impact.

Would not be surprised to see him get on the score sheet at home.

Reactions: Dabruins

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
Matthews is running into the best defensive forward of this generation and a good team defensive approach. I do think part of it is his age and inexperience in the playoffs, but it's a tough matchup for the kid. This doesn't mean anything long-term, and really it doesn't mean he can't have a huge game on Monday, but I think he's been neutralized in this postseason so far.

I don’t get all the excuses.

Last year it was because they played the presidents trophy winners.

This year it’s because they’re playing against one of the best shutdown centres.

Yeah in the playoffs every team is good.

Maybe quit calling yourselves contenders for the cup if you can’t hang with the big boys.

Reactions: frag2 and WPGDEVILS

Tage2Tuch

Because TheJackAttack is in Black
May 10, 2004
CAN
I do gotta wonder how JOE BOWEN is handling all this? Does his wife say “hey hun how was the call tonight.”

HOOOOOLY MACKINAW there was nothing from Matthews! Aaaaaaaaaustooon MATTTTHEWWWWWSSSS

It's been two games, relax.

That quote only works in the regular season.

Two games in the playoffs if there losses when your the teams best forward and do absolutely nothing is possibly half the series. Your team now has to win four of five to win there first series in fifteen years.

Now can you see why the it’s only been two games comment is dumb?

Reactions: Sila v Kucherove

b in vancouver

Jul 28, 2005
He's playing against the best line since The Legion Of Doom. What did people expect?
He's been a big part of why they only have 20 points over two games. I mean, that's only a little over a point per period per player, which isn't bad. Most other centres would've given up more... ?

Menzinger

Kessel4LadyByng
Apr 24, 2014
St. Paul, MN
Matthews definately struggles in playoffs. He's had many egregoious giveaways this series. It's no wonder Bergies line is dominating the zone time. In the first game Matthews could barely get any offence going. He turned it up a bit in 2nd of this last game by taking more shots. But most were muffin shots without any real danger to them. Screams of a player realize he's just not good enough and is trying to up his shot clock so he can say atleast I was somewhat effective,

Would be willing to bet real money you didn’t actually watch a second of either Leafs game lol.

crowi

Registered Loser
May 11, 2012
Helsinki
Holy smokes is it possible for you to make a comment without trashing an unrelated team? Just rename your account "Whataboutism"
It's about deflecting. Often seen by him and many others in Laine threads too.

OVrocks

Dec 9, 2009
LA
He’s definitely a playoff chocker, if I were Toronto I would try to trade him for some grit while he still has value. I think Matthews for Chiasson and a 7th rounder would be ideal.

Reactions: ManWithNoName
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad