Has Kyle Turris proven himself to be a #1C?

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
As much as I hate him I think Kesler is clearly a cut above Turris

At least right now, that could change in the near future

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He is easily a #1C based on stats and his overall game. Also while Stone certainly came on strong this year he was still a rookie and C-Mac was slow out of the gates.

While he may not have a lot of beef on him he more than holds his own on the boards and is by far our best C in transition and through the neutral zone.

This talk of Zibby taking over the #1C is frustrating for me as Turris is miles ahead of Zibby right now in terms of overall game and if Zibby can't figure out how to take a draw he is going to find it hard to get the ice time he wants.

We really need to appreciate what Turris has become instead of looking for reasons he isn't the player some want him to be (6'3" 220lbs)...and he can still get better. I think he may yet get 30 goals in a season.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
He is easily a #1C based on stats and his overall game. Also while Stone certainly came on strong this year he was still a rookie and C-Mac was slow out of the gates.

While he may not have a lot of beef on him he more than holds his own on the boards and is by far our best C in transition and through the neutral zone.

This talk of Zibby taking over the #1C is frustrating for me as Turris is miles ahead of Zibby right now in terms of overall game and if Zibby can't figure out how to take a draw he is going to find it hard to get the ice time he wants.

We really need to appreciate what Turris has become instead of looking for reasons he isn't the player some want him to be (6'3" 220lbs)...and he can still get better. I think he may yet get 30 goals in a season.

Turris is the better of the 2 right now but Zibanejad being good this year removed a lot of pressure from Turris and enabled him to play his game. They compliment each other very well and sooner than later they will probably be on par with one another. That's actually a great thing for us.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
I do not think Turris can win us a cup with him as our number 1 center but I believe we can if Zibanejad enters another level. Both of them are required but Zibanejad has to be the better of the two for it to happen, IMO.

Minister of Offence

Oct 2, 2009
www.chadhargrove.com
20, yeah. Probably 20.

30... I'm not so sure.

Definitely better than Turris:
Getzlaf, Bergeron, E. Stall, Toews, Duchesne, O'Reilly, Johansen, Seguin, Datsyuk, Kopitar, Carter, Tavares, Giroux, Crosby, Malkin, Pavelski, Couture, Stankos, Johnson, Sedin, Backstrom

Guys worth having a discussion about:
Kesler, Spezza, RNH, Koivu, Plekanec, Stepan, Brassard, Thornton, Backes, Stastny

... am I missing anyone?

By my count, I've got exactly 21 guys who are DEFINITELY better than Turris, but... after that, it gets murky. I've got 10 more guys who are in "maybe/maybe not" territory.

So unless we can find a few more guys to add to the "maybe" list, I'd say he's almost assuredly a top-30 center in the league, or at worst (assuming you think ALL of the guys I have as "maybes" are ahead of him) he's the 31st guy.

So yeah, anywhere from 20-30 better centres in the nhl.

That's impressive for Turris, but that is very unlikely to be good enough to take the Sens to true contention.

Much relies on Zibanejad. A team can compete with two top 20 centre and as both enter prime years we may have that.

Nordic*

Oct 12, 2006
Tellus
To me he's a really good second line center. Same with Miika.

We don't have a true #1 center in Ottawa at the moment.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
To me he's a really good second line center. Same with Miika.

We don't have a true #1 center in Ottawa at the moment.

This is true. I think we want Z-bad to be a #1C for us but I think his true value is at the #2 spot. I think he can fit in very well there.. but so can Turris so we essentially have two #2Cs.

That being said I thought Zibanejad had a better series than Turris did. Didn't notice Turris as much in this one which was confusing since he's generally been a good playoff performer since he's been with Ottawa

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
This is true. I think we want Z-bad to be a #1C for us but I think his true value is at the #2 spot. I think he can fit in very well there.. but so can Turris so we essentially have two #2Cs.

That being said I thought Zibanejad had a better series than Turris did. Didn't notice Turris as much in this one which was confusing since he's generally been a good playoff performer since he's been with Ottawa

Yeah, he did went kind of unnoticed, but he wasn't bad, either. Just wasn't as good as we are accustomed to seeing.

Nac Mac Feegle

wee & free
Jun 10, 2011
So yeah, anywhere from 20-30 better centres in the nhl.

That's impressive for Turris, but that is very unlikely to be good enough to take the Sens to true contention.

Much relies on Zibanejad. A team can compete with two top 20 centre and as both enter prime years we may have that.

Lets not forget about our wingers.

Traditionally, yes, a big part of the engine generating offense starts with the center. But, the game is changing. Having our wingers step up a little bit more can still create the same overall effect of having a star center.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Saying Zibanejad will stay as a 2nd line C when he's already that(and a bit more tbh) at 21 is................ interesting?

Zibanejad can definitely be a 1a C and it remains to be seen if he can be a number 1 C by himself to carry a team all the way.

But like MoO said, we don't really need him to be that, we just need him to be a good 1a C and therefore have 2 top 20 C's in the league to make serious noise.

And we definitely could have that as soon as next year.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
This is why BM should pursue ROR, he would give us three centres with the potential to all be #1 centres, add another scoring threat & with the forwards we have would be the catalyst to push Ottawa to another level.

Would Colorado take three or four of these guys for ROR? IMO Greening, Condra, Legwand, Neil, Phillips, Gryba, Wiercioch, Cowen, Lehner, Z. Smith, Pageau, Chiasson, Lazar, Hammond everyone in Bingo could be available to put together in a package to acquire ROR.

Puempel - ROR - Ryan
MacArthur - Turris - Stone
Hoffman - Zibanejad - Michalek
Z. Smith - Pageau/Legwand - Chiasson/Neil

Methot - Karlsson
Boroweicki - Ceci
Cowen - Wideman/Phillips

Anderson - Hammond or Lehner

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
Would Colorado take three or four of these guys for ROR? IMO Greening, Condra, Legwand, Neil, Phillips, Gryba, Wiercioch, Cowen, Lehner, Z. Smith, Pageau, Chiasson, Lazar, Hammond everyone in Bingo could be available to put together in a package to acquire ROR.
they'd hang up and block your number

Dr.Sens(e)

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
I think most people are agreeing. He is a #1 center, but not necessarily the type of #1 center you can win a Cup with unless you have a few other centers of similar calibre. He falls in the bottom tier of #1 centers across the league, of this there is little argument.

I think he can get a bit better, but is probably close to the prime level we can expect. But I've been really encouraged with his two-way game, along with his progress offensively. He does seem like the type of player who can play with anyone, which was always a problem with trying to find guys to play with Spezza.

Personally, I think it will be easier to develop Pageau or Lazar as another "2nd line center" in addition to Turris and Zibi, and be a three line team, than it will be to go out and get a bonafide top 10 center. They are so hard to come by, unless you want to overpay for a player past his prime, which carriers significant risk.

I also think this is particularly true given the depth of quality we have on the right side, with Stone and Ryan poised to help bolster the top two lines for years to come, and Lazar clearly has some scoring line potential too. We also have a pretty deep left side in terms of youth, when you factor an established top 6 winger in MacArthur along with Hoffman backed by arguably our two best prospects in Puempel and Prince.

Six Assets

Tim Stützle
Jun 29, 2013
Ottawa
I think we all know the answer to this thread now.

Great thread at the time, and really shows us how Turris has proven many people wrong. Most people thought he was a really good #2 who could fill in as #1 for some teams.

He has proven to me that he's a legit #1C in this league and is also head and shoulders above Zibby right now. His stat line this year will likely be very similar to Jonathan Toews, who many consider to be a top 5 C.

Jerrico

Jan 21, 2007
Turris is clearly a #1 C. The better question is: Can he be the #1 C on a cup-winning team?

BankStreetParade

Jan 22, 2013
Ottawa

Great thread at the time, and really shows us how Turris has proven many people wrong. Most people thought he was a really good #2 who could fill in as #1 for some teams.

He has proven to me that he's a legit #1C in this league and is also head and shoulders above Zibby right now. His stat line this year will likely be very similar to Jonathan Toews, who many consider to be a top 5 C.

Interesting question: is Turris a #1C or is Mark Stone making him a #1C?

I could see arguments for both sides, although I'd be inclined to lean toward Stone being the differentiating factor.

bert

Nov 11, 2002
Visit site

He has proven to me that he's a legit #1C in this league and is also head and shoulders above Zibby right now.[/]b His stat line this year will likely be very similar to Jonathan Toews, who many consider to be a top 5 C.

They were never close Zibanejad fan boys always tried to make the argument. The difference in agility and hockey sense is so massive no matter how much bigger/Stronger Zibanejad is he will never be at the same level.

Thus far into the season Turris has been hands down the best player on the team in my opinion. It just shows that not every player develops on a linear scale, Turris body type took longer and he still appears to be improving.

His hockey sense is off the charts, so is his body control. Just watch the adjustments he makes in stride to not only take a pass but elude other players, especially in the neutral zone. Whoever plays with him produces, the question is the same every season though how can his body handle an 82 game season. He plays all the hard matchups and the big minutes, I think he will probably have his mid season slump just due to ware and tear but he is still a legit first liner.

CanadianHockey

Smith - Alfie
Jul 3, 2009
Petawawa
twitter.com
Interesting question: is Turris a #1C or is Mark Stone making him a #1C?

I could see arguments for both sides, although I'd be inclined to lean toward Stone being the differentiating factor.

Turris and Stone complement each other. They elevate each other's game. It's not a case of Stone making Turris a #1C, or Turris making Stone a top line winger. They're just both great players who understand the game at a very high level.

Answer

Dec 17, 2006
Edmonton
Past 3 years or so..

Turris + Alfredsson = were great!

Turris + Stone = incredible

Turris + MacArthur = great

Turris + Hoffman = works

Turris + Ryan = works

Turris + Stone and Hoffman = incredible

Turris + Stone and MacArthur = great

Turris + MacArthur and Ryan = great

Turris + Stone and Ryan = great

Whats constant??

Wallet Inspector

Jan 19, 2013
For reall though, if Turris can keep up this pace, and be a legit number 1, and if Hoffman-Turris-Stone can be a legit first line, we should be very excited.

I have been saying in the offseason that we need a number 1 center and top end forward talent to eventually win a cup. If we can get that from the HST line, we might only need a couple more pieces to contend.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad