Has Kyle Turris proven himself to be a #1C?

Karlsson2Turris*

Many people were hating on the guy in the offseason, and many thought that he'd barely reach 50 points with no Spezza sheltering him.

He finished with 64 points, and was huge down the stretch with clutch goals and plays. His playoffs may have been underwhelming, but he has proven in the past he can step up.

Has he proven himself as a 1C?

Asquaredx2

Mar 10, 2008
Back to back ~60 point seasons and just now entering his prime...yeah I'd say at least a 1b.

pm88

Mar 19, 2014
everywhere
Ideally a #2C who could step into a #1 role for a stretch.

I'm surprised he wasn't too much of a factor for us this playoffs. He's usually been a pretty productive guy in the playoffs since joining Ottawa I find

operasen

Apr 27, 2004
Perfect 2C. Roster dictates he's 1C this year. If Zibanejad can get his stars aligned, he could be the 1a, allowing Turris to play 1b.

I wonder if Pageau takes the 2C to start the year, allowing Mika to learn to absolutely crush people as the 3C to start the season (best 3C in the league); then translate that to the 2C, then 1C.

Next year is the year Zibanejad needs to show who he really is. Hoffman, Pageau, Ryan as the 2; Puempel, Zibanejad, Michalek as the 3. Prince, Lazar, Robinson as the 4 - but that's a different debate.

Until we know who Zibanejad really is, Turris is the 1C

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Yes. You score 65 points.....thats top line production. Hes top 30 in scoring

I aid he would score more without spezza. The whole team scored more without spezza

DrakeAndJosh

Intangibles
Jun 19, 2010
Kanata
18th in centre scoring, ahead of guys like Kopitar, Bergeron, Nugent-Hopkins, Spezza, and Duchene. Within five points of guys like Toews, Couture, Getzlaf, and Datsyuk. He's also one of the better defensive centres in the league. No question he's a number one centre (even beyond the label of 1a/1b).

BonkTastic

ಠ_ಠ
Nov 9, 2010
Parts Unknown
18th in centre scoring, ahead of guys like Kopitar, Bergeron, Nugent-Hopkins, Spezza, and Duchene. Within five points of guys like Toews, Couture, Getzlaf, and Datsyuk. He's also one of the better defensive centres in the league. No question he's a number one centre (even beyond the label of 1a/1b).

Was about to say just this.

18th in scoring among centers, plays a sound two way game with no real holes, 22nd in scoring among centers last year. One year might be a fluke, but two in a row starts suggesting legitimacy.

He's at the very least a low end legit #1 guy. I voted "1-A" to avoid having to do the inevitable "Crosby/Towes/Malkin/Superstar" comparisons that we don't need to get into, but everything about his game suggests he's right in the low-mid range of dependable #1's.

Engineer

Rustled your jimmies
Dec 23, 2013
1b C

If Zib grows into a true 1C, we will be looking mightily good on C.

Blarginator

Mar 24, 2010
He can be streaky at times but no doubt that he can be a #1(a)C with a guy like Zibanejad. The guy is a legit 2 way player and played a great role in our run. He's not a superstar but he gets the job done and that's all I need to know. Zibby will pick up the slack when he cools down and vice-versa.

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
True top line centermen are rare. Kyle Turris was 19th in scoring for centers in the whole league with more points than guys like Bergeron, Carter, Nugent-Hopkins, Backes, Duchene, Staal, Stastny, Kesler.

He also has as many points as guys like Zetterberg, Toews, Kopitar, Couture and Thornthon and I'd say that these guys are all legitimate first line centermen. The question goes, what defines a first line centermen, is it production or size? I mean a guy like Kopitar is definitely a first line player and Couture also. These guys are considered to be amongst the best centers in the league and Turris is in the same range of points.

Before I looked at these stats, I was thinking 1B or 2C since it's always what I thought about Turris since he's not your typical first line guy. Comparing with these other guys, you have to consider him to be more than a 2nd line center and if Turris is considered a 1B or 2C then why does a guy like Kopitar, Thornthon, Zetterberg, Toews, Couture, Nugent-Hopkins, Carter, Duchene, Staal considered to be a legitimate 1C?

An honest question here, I never thought Turris to be a a legit 1rst line guy but you have to respect the numbers.

benjiv1

Mar 8, 2010
Ottawa
1B

His production constitutes him being a "#1 centre", but he often doesn't play against the strongest competition, or shut down the strongest competition.

As an example, Cameron had Zibanejad matched up against Malkin during the last Pittsburgh game.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
high end #2c

After what was said about his average production in the last two years, you still think he's a high end 2c?

What is the difference between a H end 2c and a 20th in pts Centre?

For me, Turris would be a no 2 C on a top 4 team in the NHL or a team like Pitts. Anywhere else he is a legit no 1 centre.

Baby Ryan

Jan 6, 2014
Ottawa, ON
1B

His production constitutes him being a "#1 centre", but he often doesn't play against the strongest competition, or shut down the strongest competition.

As an example, Cameron had Zibanejad matched up against Malkin during the last Pittsburgh game.

Not as good as some make it out to be.

Malkin had just come back from injury, and there was also Crosby running around out there against other lines. Don't remember which other line was matched up with Crosby.

guyzeur

Mar 25, 2009
Ottawa
1B

Not all the teams have a big no 1 centre.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I suppose that, given there are 30 teams in the league, there are 30 legitimate first line centers in the league. We are not talking elite centers in this poll. So, given his scoring, it appears he is a mid-tier first line center.

However, I voted him to be a second line C before reading the info in the thread. Its my impression of him that made me do it. If he played a little more physical and was better in his own zone without the puck (i.e., taking a man physically out of the play), I would move him up to a top third first line C level.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
It will definitely be interesting to see how he does in the playoffs going forward

I think he might have a lot of trouble being the go-to guy in the playoffs but let's see

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
1B. I think we can be competitive in the same vein as Boston were with Krejci & Bergeron if Zibanejad takes another step. Although, little details like faceoff % might prevent that.

jbeck5

Jan 26, 2009
I may not vote, but add one to 1a.

Yes, he is a legitimate first line center. The numbers show that.

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
He has the numbers of a low end #1 center but when I watch him play, I don't see a #1 center.

High end #2.

Do Make Say Think

& Yet & Yet
Jun 26, 2007
He has the numbers of a low end #1 center but when I watch him play, I don't see a #1 center.

High end #2.

Exactly

A top line C produces in the playoffs and, small sample size and all, he didn't do that this time around

No need to worry yet but his build type might not be conducive to strong playoff performances in the playoffs

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad