HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Happy Bday Aho $9.75M x8

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
If he left to go elsewhere in UFA, that team could only give him 7 years so another team would have had to pay him $11.1M over 7 years to be the same money as he signed for here.
This way of looking at it makes no sense. If he could get anything more than $9.75m/yr on any length of contract on the open market then this contract is a discount. With how rarely 1Cs hit the open market he easily could get 11-12/yr as a UFA. Some team out there would pay that.

Reactions: Tryamw and DaveG

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
This way of looking at it makes no sense. If he could get anything more than $9.75m/yr on any length of contract on the open market then this contract is a discount. With how rarely 1Cs hit the open market he easily could get 11-12/yr as a UFA. Some team out there would pay that.
It certainly makes sense. Total dollars matters. Maybe some players with egos care about AAV, but that extra year Carolina can offer is important. Anything can happen 9 years from now.

$11.14M for 7 years is the equivalent total contract as $9.75 for 8 years. Yes, he can likely sign another contract 8 years from now, but that’s not guaranteed and a lot can happen.

I feel this is a fair deal for both parties and not a discount. Most people on here were expecting $9.5-$10M and that’s where it came in.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
It certainly makes sense. Total dollars matters. Maybe some players with egos care about AAV, but that extra year Carolina can offer is important. Anything can happen 9 years from now.
Lol no it doesn't, you can't compare total value as if it's apples to apples when the contract lengths are different. It has nothing to do with ego at all. No star player like Aho would go into it thinking that after the 7 years are up they won't be able to get another contract, and with cap historically rising significantly in a timespan like that, the $ value in another contract after that in year 1 (lining up with a year 8 of an 8 year contract) would more likely than not be even higher than what he could sign on the 8 year deal. And $ value on a 7 year deal is for 15% less work than an 8 year deal.

Reactions: Tryamw

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
Lol no it doesn't, you can't compare total value as if it's apples to apples when the contract lengths are different. It has nothing to do with ego at all. No star player like Aho would go into it thinking that after the 7 years are up they won't be able to get another contract, and with cap historically rising significantly in a timespan like that, the $ value in another contract after that in year 1 (lining up with a year 8 of an 8 year contract) would more likely than not be even higher than what he could sign on the 8 year deal. And $ value on a 7 year deal is for 15% less work than an 8 year deal.

Lol, yes it does (see how easy it is to use LOL to augment an argument).

I look at total dollars for a guy on his 3rd contract because when it's up, he's outside of the prime earning age. It's not rocket science, nor is this unique. Could he still be at the top of his game at that point? Possibly, but it's far from a certainty and a smart guy like Aho and his Agent will know that. Aho got a guaranteed contract that pays him $78M. For another team to match that, they'd have to pay him $11.1M over 7 years.

It's as simple as that. We can speculate what Aho is thinking 8 years from now, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. He's guaranteed $78M and, like I said, a lot can happen in 8 years. Maybe he can sign another high dollar deal then, maybe not. It's all speculation. What isn't speculation is that he'll be earning $78M.

Anyhow, most on here said $9.5M to $10M would be about what we'd expect. That's what he got. If you want to feel better about it for calling it a discount, that's fine. I don't see it that way as I think it's a fair deal for both parties, but at the end of the day, none of that matters.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
Lol, yes it does (see how easy it is to use LOL to augment an argument).

I look at total dollars for a guy on his 3rd contract because when it's up, he's outside of the prime earning age. It's not rocket science, nor is this unique. Could he still be at the top of his game at that point? Possibly, but it's far from a certainty and a smart guy like Aho and his Agent will know that. Aho got a guaranteed contract that pays him $78M. For another team to match that, they'd have to pay him $11.1M over 7 years.

It's as simple as that. We can speculate what Aho is thinking 8 years from now, but a bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. He's guaranteed $78M and, like I said, a lot can happen in 8 years. Maybe he can sign another high dollar deal then, maybe not. It's all speculation. What isn't speculation is that he'll be earning $78M.

Anyhow, most on here said $9.5M to $10M would be about what we'd expect. That's what he got. If you want to feel better about it for calling it a discount, that's fine. I don't see it that way as I think it's a fair deal for both parties, but at the end of the day, none of that matters.
The total value of an 8 year contract should be higher than a 7 year deal, it's an extra year of work. And in that 8th year the player would be out of prime earning age in terms of getting a long term deal but for a star player like Aho historically he could easily still get a larger salary on a short term deal than the salary for that year that he's getting now or next year (barring a huge drop off in play, but no player expects their play to drop off). Just look at the historical salary cap data: NHL Salary Cap History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

It's completely ridiculous to say in a theoretical Canes 8 year offer vs UFA 7 year offer that another team would have to match the total value on a shorter deal to compete with the Canes offer, $ wise.

Nothing about this is me trying to "feel better" about it, just discussing the reality of what he could get on the open market, which is considerably higher than what he got from us, if all he cared about was the $. I would've been happy to keep him at 12/yr, would rather that than let him walk. So I'm thrilled about this, I don't need to try to "feel better." Your logic is just absurd.

Reactions: zman77

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
The total value of an 8 year contract should be higher than a 7 year deal, it's an extra year of work.
Correct. Thus saying "he'd get more on the open market" is comparing apples and oranges, because no other team can offer 8 years. He can't get that. If the Canes signed him for 7 years, I'd agree with your analysis, but they didn't. They guaranteed an 8th year which no other team can. That has value. You seem to be dismissing that guaranteed value.

And in that 8th year the player would be out of prime earning age in terms of getting a long term deal but for a star player like Aho historically he could easily still get a larger salary on a short term deal than the salary for that year that he's getting now or next year (barring a huge drop off in play, but no player expects their play to drop off). Just look at the historical salary cap data: NHL Salary Cap History - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps
No player expects that they won't have injuries and will still be the same player in their mid 30s than they are today.

It's completely ridiculous to say in a theoretical Canes 8 year offer vs UFA 7 year offer that another team would have to match the total value on a shorter deal to compete with the Canes offer, $ wise.
Of course a team is going to have to come up with more dollars on a shorter term deal than on a longer term deal. That's pretty much always the case if a player goes UFA. It's why the 8th year is such a plus for teams and players.

Nothing about this is me trying to "feel better" about it, just discussing the reality of what he could get on the open market, which is considerably higher than what he got from us, if all he cared about was the $. I would've been happy to keep him at 12/yr, would rather that than let him walk. So I'm thrilled about this, I don't need to try to "feel better." Your logic is just absurd.
"Ridiculous, Absurd, LOL". You really like to throw those things out in your posts, don't you vs. just discussing a topic.

He can't get 8 years on the open market so saying he "could get more" is meaningless. A team would have to offer a higher AAV for a shorter term since they can't offer that.

Anyhow, I disagree with your assessment and I would not want to pay him $12M / year. From what I've read, most think this is a fair deal for both sides and I feel that way also.

Reactions: geehaad

chaz4hockey

Sponsor
Jan 21, 2021
Naples, FL
It'll go up due to inflation if nothing else. In real terms, I suspect it'll be a lot flatter than most think. The pending regional sports network implosion will likely lead to an bad period for sports teams. Most teams have multi year deals that will renew in a staggered fashion, so the impact of that will spread out, but I kind of expect most teams to lose TV money in real terms as overall TV revenues shrink over the next decade or so. The NHL loves to trumpet continuous growth, but I don't know if that will keep happening. There's a lot of money pouring out of the cable TV business, and a sinking tide lowers all boats.
great points....positive offset will be gambling revenues.

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
Most important signing of the off-season for sure. Symbolically, this pushes our edge of contention way past this current season. Other fans browsing capfriendly can less easily see those ledgers and claim that we will fall apart after this year cause nobody is signed. We now have the most important two forwards locked in for the rest of the decade.

More practically, free agents and current players are more likely to sign here if we look like we'll contend indefinitely.

Edit: know != now

Last edited:

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Most important signing of the off-season for sure. Symbolically, this pushes our edge of contention way past this current season. Other fans browsing capfriendly can less easily see those ledgers and claim that we will fall apart after this year cause nobody is signed. We know have the most important two forwards locked in for the rest of the decade.

More practically, free agents and current players are more likely to sign here if we look like we'll contend indefinitely.
Having the 1C position solved for a decade is good. 3 pages of detailed analysis about how you need a 1C to be a good NHL team to follow.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Don‘t look at the total of his signing bonuses…
egon-ghostbusters.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad