HAPPY BIRTHDAY! Happy Bday Aho $9.75M x8

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
Very odd bonus time. It basically says aho is a Hurricane forever
Do we even know when the normal signing bonus times are? Everybody just assumes it's July 1, but in most cases the dates are not undisclosed and in the cases de do know the dates often seem to be something else than July 1.

I would hope it would become prevalent to report the bonus days. This here is just anomalous that it's public... and I wouldn't completely rule out there being a Montreal-related reason for this.

This contract is for ages 27-34. An 8 year 2nd contract would have moved the range on his 3rd contract to 30-37.

Paying a bit more 27-29 to avoid the risk of 35-37 might be preferable, knowing what we now know about their tendencies.

Thanks Montreal?
Canes certainly doesn't look like they lost when Aho forced a 5 years extension instead of the Canes preferred 8 years one.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Do we even know when the normal signing bonus times are? Everybody just assumes it's July 1, but in most cases the dates are not undisclosed and in the cases de do know the dates often seem to be something else than July 1.

I would hope it would become prevalent to report the bonus days. This here is just anomalous that it's public... and I wouldn't completely rule out there being a Montreal-related reason for this.

Canes certainly doesn't look like they lost when Aho forced a 5 years extension instead of the Canes preferred 8 years one.
The only non july one i remember was one player had a bonus around christmas time

Reactions: Tryamw and Lempo

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
The only non july one i remember was one player had a bonus around christmas time
I'm not even sure if I ever saw the date except for a Bruins(?) player with an odd May bonus due date.

Reactions: zman77

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
was hoping for 9.5 but still love it!!!! Got him locked up for 8 baby!! And cheaper than barkov who many thought was a great comp for contract. He's easily worth the cap hit now but this'll be a steal on the back end as the cap goes up

Reactions: Tryamw

Rick Davis

Dec 31, 2020
Congrats Fishy! Good things come to good people (sometimes)…now turtleneck Donny get off your ass and go find some complementary assets for our superstar!

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
yea, no. Aho is a tier below Barkov, not similar.

he got 1.1 less cap percentage than Barkov. That is very fair knowing Barkov is the better player.
In no world is Aho a tier below Barkov lol, they are easily in the same tier and you could argue either is the better player. I'd probably take Barkov but Aho scores more goals and has been the better playoff performer. Barkov has also played much of his career with better linemates, Aho hasn't had a Tkachuk or Huberdeau caliber player on his wing at any point in his career.

Also Barkov is close to 2 years older and signed his deal 2 years earlier. taking that into account Aho on his contract is a better asset than Barkov on his.

Good, I'd have been pissed if they'd pulled the same bs with Aho they did with lindholm, hanifin, faulk, hamilton, tony d etc. Dundon has consistently said he wanted Aho to be a lifelong Cane, great to see that wasn't wasted breath

Now do Slavin and we're cooking
Can't do Slavin for another year but yeah I think he'll obviously be locked up just like Aho. It's been understood all along Aho, Slavin, Svech are the main core pieces.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I'm glad I can keep this username for another 9+ years
By the time your name will need to be retired, we'll have people on here who weren't alive to see Datsyuk play

:hbday:

Seabass!

On another note the cap is still expected to go up right? This will be good value
Yes, its expected that the meaningful jumps ($3m-$5m per year) will begin next offseason

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Blueline Bomber

AI Generated Minnesota Wild
Sponsor
Oct 31, 2007
Really glad to hear this news today. Getting him and Svech locked up long term for relatively cheap will hopefully benefit us in the long run.

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Unhinged Finn

Skunk is my spirit animal
May 1, 2022
This isn't the only post i've seen, just highlighting that there are some still "preferring" the contract was lower. Its 500k. He's making just 1.29mil higher than his previous contract. Aho deserves more than an 800k raise with the cap jumping up next few years. This is a contract for a guy who loves the team and took less than he'd get next year.
He obviously loves the team and the headcoach. To me he comes across like a guy who wants to win as a team on the ice, not in the negotiation table as an individual.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
:hbday:

Seabass!

On another note the cap is still expected to go up right? This will be good value
It'll go up due to inflation if nothing else. In real terms, I suspect it'll be a lot flatter than most think. The pending regional sports network implosion will likely lead to an bad period for sports teams. Most teams have multi year deals that will renew in a staggered fashion, so the impact of that will spread out, but I kind of expect most teams to lose TV money in real terms as overall TV revenues shrink over the next decade or so. The NHL loves to trumpet continuous growth, but I don't know if that will keep happening. There's a lot of money pouring out of the cable TV business, and a sinking tide lowers all boats.

Last edited:

Sigurd

Slavin, our Lord and Saver (AKA Extra Goalie)
Feb 4, 2018
North Carolina
500k rich for my tastes but with the cap supposed to go up a lot and him locked up in his prime this is a good move.
I feel the same way about it being 500k too much for my preference, and also thinking the cap going up a good amount next year (supposedly) helps. Also, yes; we have him for the long term.

Now can we FINALLY get another all-star tier forward for the top 6 to support Aho (if not this summer, then by next summer)? If so, it'd feel like MY birthday present, and to all Caniacs.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
And huh, I guess Joe Ovies really was full of shit with his insistence that Aho was going to walk for more money.
That’s not what he said. We’ve gone over this twice before. The context was that if the canes lowball him, he’s not going to stay. The Canes gave him a fair contract and he stayed. Some are suggesting it’s a discount but I don’t agree. If he left to go elsewhere in UFA, that team could only give him 7 years so another team would have had to pay him $11.1M over 7 years to be the same money as he signed for here. He’s just below Barkov, which is a fair deal.

Reactions: geehaad

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad