Rumor: Hanifin to sign with the flames 8 x 7.5

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Lindholm drives play, Horvat doesn't. Lindholm is an elite pker, Horvath isn't. I think he'll get an equivalent package at minimum. You listen to guys like Seravalli and he mentioned Lindholm is more highly thought of than Horvat and he thinks he'll return more.
I don't think Lindholm returns more, IMO that trade reeked of desperation by the Isles. Unless we find an equally desperate team, I'm not sure we match that return. 1st + a couple B prospects seems more likely

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't think Lindholm returns more, IMO that trade reeked of desperation by the Isles. Unless we find an equally desperate team, I'm not sure we match that return. 1st + a couple B prospects seems more likely
I'm not so sure. I mean I don't think the 1st we will get will be as high, but I think the prospect could be better. I disagree that the return will be less I guess. According to Seravalli he'll return more than Horvat. He's probably the 2nd most or most connected rumor guy.

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Keep hearing a rumour but probably just internet driven. it's a sign and trade to the Coyotes. The Coyotes can afford his salary but what would be the ask for the Flames? Soderstrom and three second rounds?

Last edited:

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
Can't see why the Flames wouldn't start their ask at a 1st++

Asking for less for a 27 year old top pairing defenseman would be sheer "I'm wildly in over my head, please fire me" incompetence.

Now I can totally see the Coyotes would only offer some 2nd rounders+Soderstrom and why they wouldn't put their 1st on the table. But I can't see why the Flames would ever accept that. It'd be very hard to believe no other organization wouldn't be able to top that.

Reactions: Jakey53

Zirakzigil

Global Moderator
Jul 5, 2010
Canada
Keep hearing a rumour but probably just internet driven. it's a sign and trade to the Coyotes. The Coyotes can afford his salary but what would be the ask for the Flames? Soderstrom and three second rounds?
Haven’t heard that once around Calgary.

Nanuuk

Nov 16, 2013
Calgary, Alberta
The Yotes have 13 2024 picks (1st, 3 2nds, 3 3rds, 2 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th) and then another 11 picks in 2024.

I think the Flames could ask for the 2024 1st, Schmaltz, and Lamoureux or some combination of a 1st, roster player, and prospect.

I suggested Schmaltz as he is getting up there (heavens 27!) and Arizona might want to shed his cap. Lamoureux is a big undrafted goober (6'7").

I doubt Arizona would part with a first round pick and their 2019 1st round pick (Soderstrom).

moosemeister

5,000 strong
Feb 15, 2010
Mesa, Arizona
The Yotes have 13 2024 picks (1st, 3 2nds, 3 3rds, 2 4ths, 5th, 6th, 7th) and then another 11 picks in 2024.

I think the Flames could ask for the 2024 1st, Schmaltz, and Lamoureux or some combination of a 1st, roster player, and prospect.

I suggested Schmaltz as he is getting up there (heavens 27!) and Arizona might want to shed his cap. Lamoureux is a big undrafted goober (6'7").

I doubt Arizona would part with a first round pick and their 2019 1st round pick (Soderstrom).
I’d give up Soderstrom before I gave up Schmaltz or Lamoreaux

Ledge And Dairy

Maybe he doesn't return "more" but it's very important to remember that NYI traded what was at the time the 13th OA pick. Simply calling the Horvat return a 1st, B+ prospect, and a 25 yo middle 6er doesn't accurately represent the trade.

The teams that are going to be calling Calgary about Lindholm currently sit 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, and 6th in the standings. Maybe 10th if you want to include Carolina. The difference in value between the 13th OA pick and the 27th OA pick (currently Vegas in 6th) is substantial. In fact most pick value charts have #13 worth about double the 32nd OA pick.

Furthermore it was widely reported that Vancouver refused to let anyone talk to Horvat or his agent before a trade, this resulted in a less competitive market for him.

Reactions: Nanuuk

Jakey53

Aug 27, 2011

For your information, Lamoureux, the big undrafted goober you are talking about was drafted 29th in the first round in 2022. Also Canada's best defenseman at the Worlds. Maybe do a bit of due diligence.:nod:

Geekie and a couple of seconds? Size, skill and grit if he can put it together
Geekie is not being traded. Have you seen the Coyotes C position? We need all the help we can get.

samsagat

Jun 20, 2013
Iiiish, 7,5 mil?

With Hubby and Kadri already signed long terms, not sure it would be a great idea.

Being a UFA at 26 makes him a good candidate to a trade'n sign kind of deal, where the return might be a little more interesting.

If I was Cgy hockey management, I'd trade all those big names UFA and start a retool.

All three of Hanifin, Lindholm and Tanev could fetch a 1st and/or prospects...

With the youngsters they already have in Zary, Coronato, Pelletier, Wolf, Poirier and Honzek, it could go faster than everybody think...

Mangosteen

Ground hog day no more
Apr 9, 2018
Geekie, 3rd maybe 2nd center for number 2 d man with his shot... Sign me up for the trade. Still would include 2 seconds

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
If I was Cgy hockey management, I'd trade all those big names UFA and start a retool.

All three of Hanifin, Lindholm and Tanev could fetch a 1st and/or prospects...

With the youngsters they already have in Zary, Coronato, Pelletier, Wolf, Poirier and Honzek, it could go faster than everybody think...
I agree. I've been saying this same thing for months.

BruinsJoe

Sep 29, 2020
I'm a little torn on this one.

On the one hand yeah only 26 top pairing two way 50pt defenseman aren't easy to find. He's been really good this year and for most of his time here. Very durable as well. Would probably be fine with a 7.5$ x 8 if Noah decides he really does want to be here.

On the other hand with his current steal contract and the lack of quality defenseman available this year both in trade and in the summer's UFA market I do think the Flames could return a haul for him. And they are going to need some cheap high end youth if they hope to do anything in the next 5-6 years.

I could come to terms with either of those outcomes, but if it's the sign him option it absolutely needs to be done before the deadline. If that is coming up and I hear talks are 'heading in the direction', 'have agreed on term', 'deal is done in principle' I will be heading down to the Saddledome to start throwing rocks through windows.
He s not a 50pt D, best season is 48pts and average 32pts in 8years, good comparison it s Hampus Lindholm for Boston...

Mike Jones

Apr 12, 2007
Calgary
Agreed

In fact I'd be selling early to try to finish with the best odds at a top pick..

Three 1st rounders would be huge but even better if one were a top 3 or top 5 pick
Good point but these days teams tend to wait because of cap math. If I understand it right the longer you wait the less time you have to carry the cap hit. Something like that.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Good point but these days teams tend to wait because of cap math. If I understand it right the longer you wait the less time you have to carry the cap hit. Something like that.
Yeah for sure.. the top teams, likely have the least cap room, need to wait the longest..however, they also tend to have the least to offer...lesser prospects or lower expected pick range

Yepthatsme

Oct 25, 2020
He s not a 50pt D, best season is 48pts and average 32pts in 8years, good comparison it s Hampus Lindholm for Boston...
Are you doing an 8 year average on a 26 year old? Don’t really think his 18/19/20 year olds seasons are indicative of player he is. He is T17th in even strength points this season so far amongst defenseman. Was T28th last year. Was T17th the year before. Calgary doesn’t use him much on the PP because of his lack of point shot, but 5v5 he has been around a top 20 producing defenseman for 3ish years now, who even in his 26 year old season has still been improving year over year consistently.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad