Rumor: Hanifin to sign with the flames 8 x 7.5

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I like Hanifin but the seems a little steep. Kinda like those contracts Columbus has been handing out to D-men (Severson, Gudbrandson)
Seems a lot steep. He's a very good player, but his near $5 million cap hit is within reason of what he should make based on his production. Maybe a raising cap nets him a bit more, but you don't spend more than half of a cap increase solely on Hanifin.

If that's what it takes, trade him before the deadline to a cup contender.

Forget a rebuild, the Flames won't even retool.
It would seem they re-'tool'ed the front office exchange one for another.

Reactions: G Backup

JKG33

Leafs & Kings
Oct 31, 2009
Winnipeg
Seems a lot steep. He's a very good player, but his near $5 million cap hit is within reason of what he should make based on his production. Maybe a raising cap nets him a bit more, but you don't spend more than half of a cap increase solely on Hanifin.

If that's what it takes, trade him before the deadline to a cup contender.

It would seem they re-'tool'ed the front office exchange one for another.
I dunno, he's better than Brodie who signed for $5.5 a few years ago. $6.5 feels like a slight overpayment but appropriate. 7.5 is kinda yikes

deleted user

Sponsor
Dec 16, 2019
If we're not going scorched earth, but trying to re-tool.. then him being the one piece kept (out of who's rumoured or likely to be moved) is fine by me.

I should caution that by saying time will tell what this idiot organisation actually does. Move Tanev, Lindholm, and see if there's any market for Markstrom. If they bungle that up.. holy mother of god.

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Seems dumb by Hanifin's agent but I guess he knows the market.

With the cap going up I would have had no issue with the Sharks giving Hanifin ~9M on a 7-year deal as a UFA which would be more total dollars than this contract.

Tairy Greene

Feb 2, 2020
They really should retool but he's probably worth more to trade signed then as a rental if they go that route down the road.

Reactions: hn777

BLNY

Aug 3, 2004
Dartmouth, NS
I dunno, he's better than Brodie who signed for $5.5 a few years ago. $6.5 feels like a slight overpayment but appropriate. 7.5 is kinda yikes
That whole correlation/causation thing. I know sports live off ignoring it, but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very solid player. IMO, he's a 2/3 that I simply wouldn't give $7.5 million per to.

Reactions: JKG33

Hodge

Apr 27, 2021
Maybe he observed what went down with Klingberg.
Hanifin is going to be 4-5 years younger than Klingberg was when he hit free agency and is also just a much more well rounded defenseman. There would have been no shortage of 7 year offers IMO but of course those would need to be at least 8.5M AAV to beat this reported Flames extension and maybe that wasn't in the cards.

Reactions: Morrison

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
That whole correlation/causation thing. I know sports live off ignoring it, but just because you CAN do something doesn't mean you should.

Don't get me wrong, he's a very solid player. IMO, he's a 2/3 that I simply wouldn't give $7.5 million per to.

When guys like Spurgeon and Orlov are making that kind of coin it's no surprise a 26 year old capable top pairing guy is looking at that number long term with a rising cap.

Reactions: G Backup

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
If Francis expects it, then he's as good gone.

The Flames are a very poorly run franchise but re-signing Hanifin to this deal would be the height of terribleness. There's no way they're that dumb.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad