Proposal: Hanifin to DET

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Re. the idea of Wallinder + 1st + more for Hanifin:

Is a 28 year old Hanifin really worth that much more than a 21 year old Wallinder?

Because Wallinder's ceiling is higher than Noah Hanifin, and at this point his floor...isn't much lower than that, is it?

I really don't get the point of this from the Red Wings perspective. It's like the possibility of squeaking into the playoffs has given every Red Wings fan some sort of let's-burn-this-shit-down feverish maniacal compulsion to trade every prospect in the system and every first round pick for the next 5 years for anyone who was a hot prospect at some point in the last few years and has a wee bit of name recognition.

I'm not sure if I'd take Hanifin for Wallinder straight up. We'd forego the cheap RFA years for Wallinder, for the last few productive years of Hanifin before he starts to break down, while paying the guy $9M per year for the next 7? Crazy. Crazy.
Do you really think Wallinder's floor is basically Hanifin?

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020

Is a 28 year old Hanifin really worth that much more than a 21 year old Wallinder?

Because Wallinder's ceiling is higher than Noah Hanifin, and at this point his floor...isn't much lower than that, is it?

I really don't get the point of this from the Red Wings perspective. It's like the possibility of squeaking into the playoffs has given every Red Wings fan some sort of let's-burn-this-shit-down feverish maniacal compulsion to trade every prospect in the system and every first round pick for the next 5 years for anyone who was a hot prospect at some point in the last few years and has a wee bit of name recognition.

I'm not sure if I'd take Hanifin for Wallinder straight up. We'd forego the cheap RFA years for Wallinder, for the last few productive years of Hanifin before he starts to break down, while paying the guy $9M per year for the next 7? Crazy. Crazy.
This entire take is laughably bad haha

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Love the idea of adding another good defenseman but hate the thought of giving him 8x8. I don't think we're there yet to move good futures. If we made the playoffs last year, my answer might be different. Gotta get the young core actually onto our team before we see what we really have imo.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Boston offers I would think significant things others don’t so hopefully it plays out that way

Hanifin. Lindholm, Lohrei would soon be top one LD

Go Wings

Sep 26, 2009
Chatham, ON
I like the offer of a first round pick, Rasmussen and one of Wallinder/AJo/Buium. I think it is fair for both sides.

Detroit can re-sign Hanifin and trade Maata and Holl in the offseason.

TCNorthstars

Jan 5, 2009
Lansing area, MI

Yes, a current NHL top pair D in his prime is worth more than a 21 year old who hasn't even played a NHL game. This is a laughably bad take.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Yes, a current NHL top pair D in his prime is worth more than a 21 year old who hasn't even played a NHL game. This is a laughably bad take.
I don't see how anyone can assume Wallinder's floor is equal to Hanifin when Wallinder hasn't even played an NHL game by the age of 22 and very well may not play a single game in the NHL next year.

I think Wallinder has a chance to be a good second pair guy but Wings fans are assuming he is going to be a top pair guy. It's far more likely he's a solid #5-6.

How soon we forget the lessons of the Sproul/Ouelette/Almquist/Marchenko/Smith/Kindl era, where the Wings absolutely blew the development of six guys who should have been at least second pair defensemen.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Probably wouldnt be interested in hanifin cause of the contract he'll want but for the hell of it ....

1st rounder, wallinder and walman if he agrees to 7.5-7.75 x 7/8 years

Flames can use walman to help with losing hanifin or eat 50% and I think they'd be able to fetch another 1st+ in another deal

Wings bring up edvinsson and put him on the 2nd pair where he'd belong and still have johansson,buium in the pipeline for 3rd pairing left d not to mention possible signings or trade

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Probably wouldnt be interested in hanifin cause of the contract he'll want but for the hell of it ....

Flames can use walman to help with losing hanifin or eat 50% and I think they'd be able to fetch another 1st+ in another deal

Wings bring up edvinsson and put him on the 2nd pair where he'd belong and still have johansson,buium in the pipeline for 3rd pairing left d not to mention possible signings or trade

Walman is not up for trade. Moving him doesn’t fix a hole in the lineup.

Rasmussen is also not up for trade this year. He’s been great in a shutdown role for Detroit.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011

Value is fine, but I'm looking for a center prospect in the Hanifin deal. I'd be happy to sign him to that same contract if he is willing in Calgary. I'd prefer it actually.

letsgowings9999

May 13, 2023
Walman is not up for trade. Moving him doesn’t fix a hole in the lineup.

Rasmussen is also not up for trade this year. He’s been great in a shutdown role for Detroit.
No hole if hes replaced with edvinsson on the 2nd d pairing

Never mentioned rasmussen

Value is fine, but I'm looking for a center prospect in the Hanifin deal. I'd be happy to sign him to that same contract if he is willing in Calgary. I'd prefer it actually.
Wouldnt deal kasper or danielson. I'd have np moving veleno but I'd rather have wallinder in that case

I heard he wanted 60 million for 8 years and then when flames gave him what he wanted he chickened out lol seems like he doesn't want to stay

Reactions: wings95

Coach Reggie Dunlop

Jun 9, 2021
Michigan
Rasmussen is not up for trade whatsoever. The wings brass love him and he has a unique role in the roster. Detroits defensive prospects outside of edvinsson and ASP are all totally available for a guy like hanifin. I’d prefer to give up Johansson though. He’s actually a bit better than wallinder but is older and he needs a chance for some team in the NHL soon. Wallinder gives us more time to progress and our prospects on defense actually taking longer is better for us right now.

For me a fair trade would be chiarot, Berggren, Johansson, 2025 first top 10 protected. Trade is only made under the condition hanifin re-signs.

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
What would Flames fans think of something like

Wallinder + Veleno + 2025 1st (top-5 protected)

as a base. Seem to fit Flames current MO of not full rebuild but still getting younger.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

KJoe88

Forever Lost.
May 18, 2012
Trenton, MI

This is why I dislike prospects.

Dude….

• Haha
Reactions: Snuggs and Lunatik

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What would Flames fans think of something like

Wallinder + Veleno + 2025 1st (top-5 protected)

as a base. Seem to fit Flames current MO of not full rebuild but still getting younger.
Make is 2024 first, and I'd probably do that. I'd like the '24 pick because your pick could fall on the Tij Iginla range and I'd love to see him with a Flaming C on his chest

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
Make is 2024 first, and I'd probably do that. I'd like the '24 pick because your pick could fall on the Tij Iginla range and I'd love to see him with a Flaming C on his chest

We probably don't have a 2024 1st (see debrincat trade)

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
I dunno man. Detroit is a 45% Corsi team with a middle of the pack record that bleeds chances against. The current roster is full of vets, not high upside kids that are improving. Alex Lyon is a 30 year goalie with average AHL stats that has gone on a couple of short term hot streaks at the NHL level. He is as likely to be Andrew Hammond as not. The strength of their roster is three undersized offensive wingers, one of whom is 35 and just had to miss time because his bad hip wasn't feeling good.

The jump from sucking to being mediocre is easier than the next jump. Teams do it all the time, but they also don't do it all the time. There is reason for optimism in Detroit. But, the reason for optimism is because of prospects supplementing an average roster. Which comes with piles of risk.
Huh? This entire post is pretty much wrong. The strength of the roster is Seider and Larkin , with a vastly improving Raymond. They have a better record without Kane than with him. The vets are trash for the most part.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Huh? This entire post is pretty much wrong. The strength of the roster is Seider and Larkin , with a vastly improving Raymond. They have a better record without Kane than with him. The vets are trash for the most part.

Compared to the other good teams in the league, where does the Larkin/Seider duo rank?

WingsToPick4th

Jan 5, 2020
Ras has carved himself out an important role on the wings, he gets better every year. Wings wont trade him.

If Flames need LHD and C prospects Id let them pick out what player they liked more.

1st rounder
+ Joe Veleno or Amadeus Lombardi (C)
+ William Wallinder or A. Johansson (LHD)
+Olli maatta or Jeff Petry (cheap replacement D)

D core would look like this:
Walman - Seider
Hanifin
- xx (eventually ASP)
Edvinsson - xx

this is a deep D core

Reactions: crackdown44

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002

No Detroit with their young talent on left side makes sense

johnnystormcgy

May 26, 2007
Love the idea of adding another good defenseman but hate the thought of giving him 8x8. I don't think we're there yet to move good futures. If we made the playoffs last year, my answer might be different. Gotta get the young core actually onto our team before we see what we really have imo.
I think value would likely go down to 7-7.5 depending on Detroits tax rate IMO.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad