Proposal: Hanifin to DET

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
If Hanifin is "locked in" to a specific location it's almost certainly Boston.
Agreed. I kind of think he'll go somewhere in the NE US if he leaves.

He’s honestly been one of the best D in the league this year. To me the flames are going to get an absolute haul. I’d be shocked if he’s traded for spare parts. I just don’t see them even entertaining the trade without a top prospect coming back
Dallas is the play here. He'd be an excellent fit and their system is pretty loaded for a contending team.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
He’s honestly been one of the best D in the league this year. To me the flames are going to get an absolute haul. I’d be shocked if he’s traded for spare parts. I just don’t see them even entertaining the trade without a top prospect coming back
They’ll take the best offer from a team Hanifin is willing to sign a new contract with. This will be one of those deals, where teams will be outbid very quickly, if they’re only trading (for him) as a pure rental.

So if he tells the Flames, I’ll only sign with Boston, Detroit, Vegas or Tampa, he’s likely going to one of those 4 teams.

Hanifin will have that type of say. He’s only a few months from UFA. For him to give that up, Calgary is going to allow him that type of say, and it will effect the value some.

It’ll keep the value lower than it would obviously be, if 15 teams were bidding, with him under contract for 3-4 more years.

Calgary’s still gonna get a really nice package though. The only way they wouldn’t, is if he comes out like Debrincat, and says he will only sign an extension in one city.

There’s been no indication that's the case.
It will likely only be a handful of teams bidding though, and Conroy likely already has their best offers in hand.

After Sergachev’s injury last night, this likely gets done pretty quickly now btw. It was a big reminder, not to be messing around, holding out for better offers. You’ll end up like Detroit did with Mike Green 6-7 years ago. Screwed…

Reactions: Hobnobs

Hobnobs

Pinko
Nov 29, 2011
They’ll take the best offer from a team Hanifin is willing to sign a new contract with. This will be one of those deals, where teams will be outbid very quickly, if they’re only trading (for him) as a pure rental.

So if he tells the Flames, I’ll only sign with Boston, Detroit, Vegas or Tampa, he’s likely going to one of those 4 teams.

Hanifin will have that type of say. He’s only a few months from UFA. For him to give that up, Calgary is going to allow him that type of say, and it will effect the value some.

It’ll keep the value lower than it would obviously be, if 15 teams were bidding, with him under contract for 3-4 more years.

Calgary’s still gonna get a really nice package though. The only way they wouldn’t, is if he comes out like Debrincat, and says he will only sign an extension in one city.

It will likely only be a handful of teams bidding though, and Conroy likely already has their best offers in hand.

After Sergachev’s injury last night, this likely gets done pretty quickly now btw. It was a big reminder, not to be messing around, holding out for better offers. You’ll end up like Detroit did with Mike Green 6-7 years ago. Screwed…

Why would you do this? What have the rest of us done to deserve being reminded of Mike Effin Green?

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I doubt Dallas can afford to give him 7.5 million long term, and they’re not trading a top prospect for a pure rental.
Based on what exactly? They really need a top 4 guy. Have you watched Suter play? Dallas is the team that needs him the most. I think they'll pay up.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Dallas has Harley coming of ELC after season

He’s a stud and going to get paid

Hanifin likely will reup in Calgary or play for hometown team

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Danielson definitely gets shut down. Kasper probably would be available in a Hanifin deal.

No. He would not.

See the comparable trades posted on the first page. No A ranked prospect was moved. The closest was Reid Schaefer, and Kasper is much, much better than him.

The untouchables for Detroit are their big 5 of Kasper, Cossa, Danielson, Edvinsson and Axel Sandin-Pelikka. I'd throw in Mazur and Augustine as guys that the ask from Calgary would have to lower significantly if they were brought up in a discussion.

DEt stacked with prospects on LD, no thanks unless its steal

Wallinder's best case is a poor man's Hanifin. There are 6 guys in the prospect pool that I would scoff at the idea of moving in a trade. Any other picks or prospects in the system are fair game and should be considered trade bait for someone like Hanifin because he makes the team that much better.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Yes, easily.

I don't know about easily. They'd give up a lot of forward depth for it. They're also up against the cap right now. Who do they move out to fit Hanifin in?

Dallas Stars Salary Cap, Draft Picks, and Player Contracts - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

They might lose Pavelski to retirement, but I would expect Duchene re-signs at a raise from what he's getting now. They can dump guys like Faksa and Dadanov and replace them internally but Hanifin is going to want 7+ this offseason, then Oettinger is due for a raise next offseason.

The point is, Dallas would have to make a lot of moves to get Hanifin under contract long term. Next offseason would probably be better for them to try and make a splash.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Agreed. I kind of think he'll go somewhere in the NE US if he leaves.

Dallas is the play here. He'd be an excellent fit and their system is pretty loaded for a contending team.

Its funny, you kind of hit on the crux of the matter with these two statements that are kind of conflicting.

I *think* he is a NE guy and would prefer to get closer to that. Leaving places even as far away as Detroit open even if is not really NE.

But, that isn't Dallas.

But, Dallas has a big need and some good futures and is a more sure fire bet to be good than Detroit or Buffalo (no offense to the optimism those fan bases feel about their prospects, but prospects are prospects and work out as often as they don't), which should appeal to Hanifin.

Hanifin going from one org that has had problems making the jump to contender to Detroit or Buffalo that are still struggling to make that jump would have to give Hanifin pause. Dallas wouldn't have that problem. But is he OK with the location?

Boston is both good and in the right place and can afford him and has the need, but a strong offer is going to be more painful for Boston since they have so few assets.

I think it comes down to Boston probably making the most sense for Hanifin and Boston making the least sense for Calgary and how that tension plays out. If Hanifin shows a willingness to re-sign in Dallas or Buffalo or Detroit or whatever other dark horses there are changes the game vs if he has a smaller list.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
What would it take realistically for the Lightning to acquire Noah from the Flames? Any interest in Cirelli+ pick/prospect for Noah and cap dump? I just don't think the Lightning have the pieces to acquire him.
to Tampa Bay Lightning:
  • Noah Hanifin (4.95m)
  • Andrew Mangiapane (5.8m)
to Calgary Flames:
  • Anthony Cirelli (6.25m)
  • 1st in 2026 (top 10 protected)
  • 2nd in 2025
  • Conditional 2nd in 2026 (Becomes 1st in 2027 if Tampa wins 2024 Stanley Cup)

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012

WHOAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA what's with the shot at detroit petes? I thought we were cool but damn man.

you didn't need to -

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
Its funny, you kind of hit on the crux of the matter with these two statements that are kind of conflicting.

I *think* he is a NE guy and would prefer to get closer to that. Leaving places even as far away as Detroit open even if is not really NE.

But, that isn't Dallas.

But, Dallas has a big need and some good futures and is a more sure fire bet to be good than Detroit or Buffalo (no offense to the optimism those fan bases feel about their prospects, but prospects are prospects and work out as often as they don't), which should appeal to Hanifin.

Hanifin going from one org that has had problems making the jump to contender to Detroit or Buffalo that are still struggling to make that jump would have to give Hanifin pause. Dallas wouldn't have that problem. But is he OK with the location?

Boston is both good and in the right place and can afford him and has the need, but a strong offer is going to be more painful for Boston since they have so few assets.

I think it comes down to Boston probably making the most sense for Hanifin and Boston making the least sense for Calgary and how that tension plays out. If Hanifin shows a willingness to re-sign in Dallas or Buffalo or Detroit or whatever other dark horses there are changes the game vs if he has a smaller list.

Last I checked, Detroit got 20 of 26 points in January, is in a playoff spot at the moment while playing in the toughest division in the league. Adding Hanifin ensures they're a top 6 team in the east. I wouldn't say that's struggling to make the jump.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Last I checked, Detroit got 20 of 26 points in January, is in a playoff spot at the moment while playing in the toughest division in the league. Adding Hanifin ensures they're a top 6 team in the east. I wouldn't say that's struggling to make the jump.

They are a team with 58 points in 50 games. They don't have good D or goaltending, but are good at putting the puck in the net.

Last year at this date, there was another team that had 56 points in 50 games. They didn't have good D or goaltending, but were actually much better at putting the puck in the net.

That team was the Buffalo Sabres.

Being on pace to be a 95 point bubble team in February after years of futility is not some guarantee of success and making a leap. Especially since most of Detroit's roster is actually full of veterans outside of Seider and Raymond. Them becoming more than a bubble team is totally dependent on the prospects. Which is exactly the point I am making.

Reactions: Zetterberg4Captain

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
They are a team with 58 points in 50 games. They don't have good D or goaltending, but are good at putting the puck in the net.

Last year at this date, there was another team that had 56 points in 50 games. They didn't have good D or goaltending, but were actually much better at putting the puck in the net.

That team was the Buffalo Sabres.

Being on pace to be a 95 point bubble team in February after years of futility is not some guarantee of success and making a leap. Especially since most of Detroit's roster is actually full of veterans outside of Seider and Raymond. Them becoming more than a bubble team is totally dependent on the prospects. Which is exactly the point I am making.

Correction:
Detroit DIDN'T have good goaltending in November and December. They do now.

Adding Hanifin to that "not good" defense makes it much more well rounded. He's a major upgrade on both Maatta and Gostisbehere. He'd be replacing one of them.

And just because Buffalo got hot at the end of last year and barely missed the playoffs doesn't mean that the same will happen to Detroit this season. They're built differently.

It's not like Detroit has only collected points against the worst teams in the league. They beat Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Vegas and LAx2 last month. Now they're finally fully healthy.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Correction:
Detroit DIDN'T have good goaltending in November and December. They do now.

Adding Hanifin to that "not good" defense makes it much more well rounded. He's a major upgrade on both Maatta and Gostisbehere. He'd be replacing one of them.

And just because Buffalo got hot at the end of last year and barely missed the playoffs doesn't mean that the same will happen to Detroit this season. They're built differently.

It's not like Detroit has only collected points against the worst teams in the league. They beat Florida, Tampa, Toronto, Vegas and LAx2 last month. Now they're finally fully healthy.

I dunno man. Detroit is a 45% Corsi team with a middle of the pack record that bleeds chances against. The current roster is full of vets, not high upside kids that are improving. Alex Lyon is a 30 year goalie with average AHL stats that has gone on a couple of short term hot streaks at the NHL level. He is as likely to be Andrew Hammond as not. The strength of their roster is three undersized offensive wingers, one of whom is 35 and just had to miss time because his bad hip wasn't feeling good.

The jump from sucking to being mediocre is easier than the next jump. Teams do it all the time, but they also don't do it all the time. There is reason for optimism in Detroit. But, the reason for optimism is because of prospects supplementing an average roster. Which comes with piles of risk.

Reactions: DKH

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
DEt stacked with prospects on LD, no thanks unless its steal
Hanifin would instantly be our second best defender and there's a very real chance Edvinsson ends up equal to or worse than Hanifin. There's very little chance that both of AlJo and Wallinder both end up better than Hanifin. More importantly, Hanifin fits our timeline perfectly.

Adding Hanifin and promoting Edvinsson gives Detroit a good shot of having a top-5 defensive group next year and for the next 6-7 years.

Reactions: schuelma24

The Real Pastafarian

Registered dipshit
Apr 4, 2020
Ohio (OH? IO.)
Re. the idea of Wallinder + 1st + more for Hanifin:

Is a 28 year old Hanifin really worth that much more than a 21 year old Wallinder?

Because Wallinder's ceiling is higher than Noah Hanifin, and at this point his floor...isn't much lower than that, is it?

I really don't get the point of this from the Red Wings perspective. It's like the possibility of squeaking into the playoffs has given every Red Wings fan some sort of let's-burn-this-shit-down feverish maniacal compulsion to trade every prospect in the system and every first round pick for the next 5 years for anyone who was a hot prospect at some point in the last few years and has a wee bit of name recognition.

I'm not sure if I'd take Hanifin for Wallinder straight up. We'd forego the cheap RFA years for Wallinder, for the last few productive years of Hanifin before he starts to break down, while paying the guy $9M per year for the next 7? Crazy. Crazy.

schuelma24

Jul 14, 2023

Is a 28 year old Hanifin really worth that much more than a 21 year old Wallinder?

Because Wallinder's ceiling is higher than Noah Hanifin, and at this point his floor...isn't much lower than that, is it?

I really don't get the point of this from the Red Wings perspective. It's like the possibility of squeaking into the playoffs has given every Red Wings fan some sort of let's-burn-this-shit-down feverish maniacal compulsion to trade every prospect in the system and every first round pick for the next 5 years for anyone who was a hot prospect at some point in the last few years and has a wee bit of name recognition.

I'm not sure if I'd take Hanifin for Wallinder straight up. We'd forego the cheap RFA years for Wallinder, for the last few productive years of Hanifin before he starts to break down, while paying the guy $9M per year for the next 7? Crazy. Crazy.
Huh. Respectfully, as a Wings fan, I think you’re overrating Wallinder here. He’s a nice prospect. He’s not in that top tier IMO

Tkachuk Norris

Jun 22, 2012

Hanifin is one of the best defenders and skaters in the league. And he’s on pace for 50 points with minimal PP production…

Crazy…

ryan callahan

Jan 25, 2014
Québec,Canada
Fair trade in value. Flames fans have to remember that the extension is essentially worthless (or whatever a team would be willing to pay to have priority in negociations before free agency). You are basically trading half a year of Hanifin. That is not getting you blue chippers.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

You're vastly underrating Hanifin.

Seider-Hanifin-Edvinsson has the potential to be a top 5 defensive trio in the league.

Seider-Edvinsson-Wallinder does not.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad