Proposal: Hanifin to DET

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
Can't find the other thread (if any) with these two teams so here you go. Just trying to gauge the temperature.

@OgeeOgelthorpe made some trade comparisons on our board and made some suggestions. I tweaked it and made it look like the following:

DET
Hanifin (extended or not extended, not sure yet)
2024/25 4th

CGY
2024 1st
2026 2nd
Ghost
Maatta

Ghost would be an easy player to flip back at another team for the playoffs. He has a low cap hit and you can still retain and probably get a 2nd rounder pretty easily imo. Maatta has one more year left, can be a very stable veteran, and is extremely good at pinching in to keep the puck in the o-zone, so it would help calgary in the sense that (from what I remember in other threads) they don't have much defensive players at all. Especially if Tanev is also getting traded as speculation rises from that camp too.

Honestly, I think it could be a semi-overpayment with how you can just flip Ghost for a 2nd somewhere and DET probably is out in the first round this year (hoping for more but I digress). What do you guys think?

crackdown44

Cold milk cools down hot food
Dec 1, 2017
Doesn’t do it for me as a flames fan. Happy to take Maatta back to accommodate the red wings cap needs but I’d rather just take the assets from the red wings than being responsible for making ghost into something ourselves

With no extension I think 1st + Wallinder + Maatta makes sense from Detroit

Detroit Knights

Feb 29, 2012
I actually think this isn’t enough for Calgary. They gotta get one of our prospects.
Viro? Adding wallinder, aljo, tuomisto to what I offered is just way to much at that point. Viro is actually showing a lot of promise and is probably a B/B+ prospect?

Doesn’t do it for me as a flames fan. Happy to take Maatta back to accommodate the red wings cap needs but I’d rather just take the assets from the red wings than being responsible for making ghost into something ourselves

dont love it but dont hate it. Only because we really like wallinder. I don't believe we would be trading maatta as the cap dump, if anything it would be ghost to be honest.

We could probably take out maatta in what you propose and add ghost. Then we can trade maatta somewhere else I suppose.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Viro? Adding wallinder, aljo, tuomisto to what I offered is just way to much at that point. Viro is actually showing a lot of promise and is probably a B/B+ prospect?

dont love it but dont hate it. Only because we really like wallinder. I don't believe we would be trading maatta as the cap dump, if anything it would be ghost to be honest.

We could probably take out maatta in what you propose and add ghost. Then we can trade maatta somewhere else I suppose.
How about we sign him to a nice 8x6.5 for you then we talk Kasper :naughty:

• Haha
Reactions: Detroit Knights

HighLifeMan

#SnowyStrong
Feb 26, 2009
H. Lindholm set the market at a young roster player, a 1st, and two 2nds and that's after three very underwhelming years in Anaheim.

I think people will be very surprised what Hanifin gets back in return.

Some Other Flame

Dec 4, 2010
The 1st and 2nd are a good start. But for a signed Hanifin, it'd take more than two cap dumps (flippable or not) as the next pieces. A lot more.

FriendlyGhost92

Jun 22, 2023
Not enough if extended and too much if not.

And by too much, I mean somebody would get a 1st for rental Hanifin, but Detroit probably isn't the team that makes that move.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
H. Lindholm set the market at a young roster player, a 1st, and two 2nds and that's after three very underwhelming years in Anaheim.

One of those 2nds was to take make a multi-year cap dump.

And Vaakaneinen was a prospect that it was clear was going to max out as a #5 from his time in the NHL.

So it was more list 1st, 2nd, not exciting prospect.

You do have the point that Lindholm had been underwhelming in Anaheim according to the fancy charts, but the scouts didn't think we was underwhelming and they ended up being right.

edit: But, I think that Hanifin will pull better than that because it will be a bigger market of teams that can re-sign him with the cap shooting up.

Reactions: nbwingsfan

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020
I actually think this isn’t enough for Calgary. They gotta get one of our prospects.

I posted this on the Detroit forum

Screenshot 2024-02-08 085103.png

Defensemen trades from the last few seasons that Hanifin is comparable to.

Hanifin's trade should be somewhere between what Mattias Ekholm got and what Chychrun got.

I'd move Ghost + 2024 1st + Wallinder + 2025 or 2026 2nd for Hanifin + 2024 4th.

Kasper, ASP, and a 1st maybeeeee Danielson.

This is a bad trade and you should be ashamed of yourself.

OgeeOgelthorpe

Baldina
Feb 29, 2020

Vancouver overpaying doesn't set the market. Just like Tampa overpaying for Tanner Jeannot did not set the market.

Look at the most common comparable trades for that type of player. 95% of the time that's your market value.

It's a Detroit - Calgary trade thread on hf. These are the rules.

We might as well throw in Edvinsson and Cossa as well.

crackdown44

Dec 1, 2017
Vancouver overpaying doesn't set the market. Just like Tampa overpaying for Tanner Jeannot did not set the market.

Look at the most common comparable trades for that type of player. 95% of the time that's your market value.

We might as well throw in Edvinsson and Cossa as well.

He’s talking about Hampus Lindholm, not Elias. You literally listed the exact trade he’s referencing as a comparable in your first post

Reactions: OgeeOgelthorpe

McJedi

Apr 21, 2020
Florida
Can't find the other thread (if any) with these two teams so here you go. Just trying to gauge the temperature.

@OgeeOgelthorpe made some trade comparisons on our board and made some suggestions. I tweaked it and made it look like the following:

DET
Hanifin (extended or not extended, not sure yet)
2024/25 4th

CGY
2024 1st
2026 2nd
Ghost
Maatta

Ghost would be an easy player to flip back at another team for the playoffs. He has a low cap hit and you can still retain and probably get a 2nd rounder pretty easily imo. Maatta has one more year left, can be a very stable veteran, and is extremely good at pinching in to keep the puck in the o-zone, so it would help calgary in the sense that (from what I remember in other threads) they don't have much defensive players at all. Especially if Tanev is also getting traded as speculation rises from that camp too.

Honestly, I think it could be a semi-overpayment with how you can just flip Ghost for a 2nd somewhere and DET probably is out in the first round this year (hoping for more but I digress). What do you guys think?
no idea why the Flamea also need to send a pick. This is a weak offer from Detroit. Flames will get better offers elsewhere.

Either Detroit replaces the 2nd with a good prospect or they replace the two cap filler guys with a younger player.

Detroit needs to sweeten this.

BKarchitect

Oct 12, 2017
Kansas City, MO
Underwhelming to say the least.

I’d say there’s not a lot of discussion to be had if you think a prospect like Tuomisto is off limits in this kind of package.

I wager the Flames, who are clearly not in complete tear down mode, will heavily, heavily lean towards the best prospect they can get (along with a 1st) rather than a collection of multiple lesser pieces.

Reactions: FLAMESFAN

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL

I am a huge Wallinder fan but agree this is what it would take. Assuming Larkin back-channels the contract details with his close friend I would be okay with this deal.

Realistically Hanafin blocks Wallinders path to the team. Though he has some duel side ability this is similar to DeBrincat and Berggren where most Wings fans seem to ignore you’re blocking the actual role and usage and shouldn’t hold on for dear life.

Having brought up the name I would love to sub in Berggren and a lesser D prospect but Hanafin would be a massive add to our top four.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad