Proposal: Hanifin to DET

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
How soon we forget the lessons of the Sproul/Ouelette/Almquist/Marchenko/Smith/Kindl era, where the Wings absolutely blew the development of six guys who should have been at least second pair defensemen.
Pretty bad take. There's literally zero reason Almquist (undersized 7th round pick with bad skating) should have any bearing on how we value Wallinder (borderline 1st round pick with exceptional size and skating).
I dunno man. Detroit is a 45% Corsi team with a middle of the pack record that bleeds chances against. The current roster is full of vets, not high upside kids that are improving. Alex Lyon is a 30 year goalie with average AHL stats that has gone on a couple of short term hot streaks at the NHL level. He is as likely to be Andrew Hammond as not. The strength of their roster is three undersized offensive wingers, one of whom is 35 and just had to miss time because his bad hip wasn't feeling good.

The jump from sucking to being mediocre is easier than the next jump. Teams do it all the time, but they also don't do it all the time. There is reason for optimism in Detroit. But, the reason for optimism is because of prospects supplementing an average roster. Which comes with piles of risk.
Citing Corsi in 2024 pretty much invalidates any opinion you might have on hockey.

RedHawkDown

still trying to trust the yzerplan
Aug 26, 2011
Canada
Compared to the other good teams in the league, where does the Larkin/Seider duo rank?
Not too high, that’s for sure. But your assertion that the team success is due to vets is patently false. Like just straight up wrong. Perron sucks, Chia sucks, Maatta is passable, Holl sucks, Copp sucks, Compher has cooled off. Seider, Raymond, and Larkin are the soul of the team.

Reactions: WingsToPick4th

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why Yzerman would trade a younger and better defenseman for less return last year only to pay more for a lower quality, older one this year?

Talk about taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back... more like taking 4 steps back.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Can someone PLEASE explain to me why Yzerman would trade a younger and better defenseman for less return last year only to pay more for a lower quality, older one this year?

Talk about taking 2 steps forward and 3 steps back... more like taking 4 steps back.
Because ASP has a chance at being far better than Hronek and Hanifin is better than Hronek defensively. Hronek is also only like two years younger than Hanifin.

Do you ever go back over your posts sometimes and wish you weren't always wrong?

algernon

Mar 19, 2006
Calgary
Is Detroit "America"in the context of Hanafin wanting to play in the USA? Boston strikes me as a different situation.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Because ASP has a chance at being far better than Hronek and Hanifin is better than Hronek defensively. Hronek is also only like two years younger than Hanifin.

Do you ever go back over your posts sometimes and wish you weren't always wrong?
It's even closer than you said. Hanifin is less than a year older than Hronek. They were born the same year. Hanifin was just playing at 18, so he seems older.

Roomba With a Bauer

Sep 11, 2007
Is Detroit "America"in the context of Hanafin wanting to play in the USA? Boston strikes me as a different situation.
There are some very nice, safe areas in Metro Detroit for rich young athletes to live, but if you are expecting/wanting Boston there is no comparison.

Reactions: algernon

Dotter

THE ATHLETIC IS GARBAGE
Jul 2, 2014
Imprisonment, TN
goo.gl

Why bring up ASP? He's a project that was available for DRWs to select at the time. We don't know who's available in 2024. Point is MOOT! I hate hindsight arguments.

I'm talking NHL player vs NHL player.

You admitted Hronek is younger, then followed up "Do you ever go back over your posts sometimes and wish you weren't always wrong?" WTF!?! LOL!!!!!

Derp.
Derp.

Yzerman should be fired if he gives up assets to trade for an older dman when he could have just kept the younger / better one of the two.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
I like the offer of a first round pick, Rasmussen and one of Wallinder/AJo/Buium. I think it is fair for both sides.

Detroit can re-sign Hanifin and trade Maata and Holl in the offseason.
Detroit isn’t likely to be trading Rasmussen anytime soon. Already plays too big of a role, and he’s going to be a big part of their future for the next 6-8 years, as he’s still getting better and better. He’s a unique player too.

Would I trade him for Hanifin? I would, but there’d be a lot less going along with him.

Both types of players are extremely underrated on sites like this, where half those commenting, do nothing but watch stats, in a sport where you can be a great player and not be on the scoresheet every night. Same people who are amazed every playoff, when a Pietrangelo or McDonagh have dominated a playoff series.

If Detroit put Rasmussen on the market, they’d have 31 calls and some very nice offers. 6’6” strong players, who can skate, with soft hands, who play a 200’ game, are hard to play against, and can play any position at 24 years old? There’s not too many of them in the league. Lalonde has said, he’s such an important player for them already, and he just keeps getting better.

He’s that exact type of player Tampa would be all over if they had the picks to trade. That young player about to blow up, many on this site try to predict (every deadline) since the Hagel trade. Who at almost .5 ppg has no PP time this year, but did last year, successfully as a net front presence. So it’s almost easy to predict his numbers will increase as he enters his prime, and continues to get more offensive opportunities, as his role changes.

He’s gonna have some really good prime years between 25-30 coming up here.

Also, a perfect example of why you just don’t give up on prospects, especially big Cs, when they don’t produce at 21-22 years old. Like so many people on this site tend to.

If the Flames could get Rasmussen in a Hanifin deal, they’d be ecstatic.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
They are a team with 58 points in 50 games. They don't have good D or goaltending, but are good at putting the puck in the net.

Last year at this date, there was another team that had 56 points in 50 games. They didn't have good D or goaltending, but were actually much better at putting the puck in the net.

That team was the Buffalo Sabres.

Being on pace to be a 95 point bubble team in February after years of futility is not some guarantee of success and making a leap. Especially since most of Detroit's roster is actually full of veterans outside of Seider and Raymond. Them becoming more than a bubble team is totally dependent on the prospects. Which is exactly the point I am making.
Getting Hanafin who’s a top pair D would in greatly help that “bad D” problem, no?

Alex Lyon has the 4th best Sv% in the NHL playing behind that same bad defense.

They have a top 3 prospect pool in the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad