Proposal: Hanifin to Boston

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
Yeah. He’s just trying too hard now to be a villain.
How am I a villain? Stating the obvious? Do you think Couture is the same player he used to be? I find it hard to believe anyone could think that. Look at his work this season. Granted, small sample size but he's statistically one of the worst players in the league. He gives up 24 more shots against per 60 than he generates while he's on the ice. It's the worst in the entire NHL for a player with over 100 minutes.

He hasn't been a positive possession player for 5 years now. That's a pretty big sample size. Couture was a really good possession player before he was cooked. You're comparing him to Kadri favorably. It's almost hard to believe anyone could think that. You'd have to not have watched them or be actively trolling.

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
Don't like as a B's fan.
1) Hanifin's biggest advantage over Grzelcyk, is just his size. And if he wants to be in Boston, they can get him July 1st. Either way, I don't see him as "must have" guy they need to acquire/lock-up before anyone else.
2) Bruins bigger need is a longer term solution at center. That's the only position I'd give up a 1st and Lohrei for.
3) Bruins would get more value back by trading Grzelcyk in a separate trade to another team. Calgary would value him as taking on a cap dump.

Reactions: Score8 and bert

Hookslide

Nov 19, 2018
Don't like as a B's fan.
1) Hanifin's biggest advantage over Grzelcyk, is just his size. And if he wants to be in Boston, they can get him July 1st. Either way, I don't see him as "must have" guy they need to acquire/lock-up before anyone else.
2) Bruins bigger need is a longer term solution at center. That's the only position I'd give up a 1st and Lohrei for.
3) Bruins would get more value back by trading Grzelcyk in a separate trade to another team. Calgary would value him as taking on a cap dump.
The Bruins should not be trading for a center at this time, defenseman is and should be their priority and I am not saying it needs to be Hanifan. Yor take on Gryz is really off the mark, Gryz has not played well this year but come playoffs his size really comes into play, sorry just the facts.

Reactions: TobanWest

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
Would do this for Chabot, just dont know how to make the money work for Boston.
My opinion I don’t want Chabot especially at that contract - Lysell is a legit prospect and Boston can use him as Marchand plays his last 3-5 seasons.

Lohrei floor is good his ceiling a star. He’s already got ice water in his veins abc just needs about 100 NHL games.

Hanifin would need to be 2-3 years away from FA for me to entertain Lohrei

the 2025 first doesn’t bother me - Boston is good when not having a first (last 3 top picks Lohrei, Poitras, Pelosi)

Bruins don’t even need a center - they need a LD like Hanifin (top 4) Middleton (bottom pair)

They are good to very good (not great) but deep and they got a handful of prospects/first year who will play in NHL in an important role

Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
The Bruins should not be trading for a center at this time, defenseman is and should be their priority and I am not saying it needs to be Hanifan. Yor take on Gryz is really off the mark, Gryz has not played well this year but come playoffs his size really comes into play, sorry just the facts.
He was in games 3 and 4 in Florida both decisive wins and back in Florida game 6 was sat for Clifton a -3 and bad penalty.

Clifton did not dress in either game 3 & 4

Privately this was questioned by FO & players along with Ullmark playing game 6. And Monty lines picked out of a hat approach game 5 that not only had Bergeron & Marchand separated for first time in 8 years, but Foligno playing RW of all things and on first line (for first 12 minutes anyways)

Reactions: BronxBruin

Bruins4Lifer

Jun 28, 2006
Regina, SK
I don't disagree they could use an upgrade on Gryz, I just don't think Hanifin is worth the kind of package offered here, and I'd rather spend that much on a no. 1 center instead. Both areas could/will be exposed in the playoffs.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I don't disagree they could use an upgrade on Gryz, I just don't think Hanifin is worth the kind of package offered here, and I'd rather spend that much on a no. 1 center instead. Both areas could/will be exposed in the playoffs.
I think you're right. I just don't see a top 6 center on the market, yet alone a #1 center. I think Henrique is probably the best available guy and he's kind of an offensive 3C with some defensive weakness the last few years.

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
Nope. I want the Bruins to stand pat, if not get rid of some dead weight this TDL. How this team is currently constructed is a second round exit, maybe conference finals if they get lucky with certain teams getting eliminated.

I would love Hanafin but not at the cost he is commanding, Bruins have a top 3 worst prospect pool in the NHL. Marchand has 1-2 years left, Coyle is a few years after that. We NEED to start building through the prospect pool and draft, and that means Sweeney needs to stop trading all of our God **** draft picks!!!

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Nope. I want the Bruins to stand pat, if not get rid of some dead weight this TDL. How this team is currently constructed is a second round exit, maybe conference finals if they get lucky with certain teams getting eliminated.

I would love Hanafin but not at the cost he is commanding, Bruins have a top 3 worst prospect pool in the NHL. Marchand has 1-2 years left, Coyle is a few years after that. We NEED to start building through the prospect pool and draft, and that means Sweeney needs to stop trading all of our God **** draft picks!!!

I hear this, but the counter is Marchand still has it. Pasta in his peak. This is the last year of the two headed goalie monster. Would Hanifin raise them from being a 2nd round kind of team?

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo

Swayman
Ullmark

Is that the best D group in the league? The best goaltending in the league?

Last edited:

bigbadbruins1

Dec 12, 2008
I hear, this, but the counter is Marchand still has it. Pasta in his peak. This is the last year of the two headed goalie monster. Would Hanifin raise them from being a 2nd round kind of team?

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo

Swayman
Ullmark

My honest opinion is no. I also don't think defense is our issue ( minus Gryz, but I constantly voice my disdain for him).

I feel like the issue has always been that the bruins kind of float in between styles. We aren't a big and physical team so we get pushed around ( especially in front of our net), but we also aren't small and fast ( Carolina type of team) where you just outskate the other team. This makes it so if a team that is heavy on the big/physical or small/fast give us fits. If we chase a Dman I want someone big and physical to protect the front of the net.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I hear, this, but the counter is Marchand still has it. Pasta in his peak. This is the last year of the two headed goalie monster. Would Hanifin raise them from being a 2nd round kind of team?

Hanifin McAvoy
Lindholm Carlo

Swayman
Ullmark

Great post - naiied it

Going tonight & Thursday will be fun to see Hanifin & Elias Lindholm

I think they get Hanifin they are favorites

Can’t do Lohrei - I don’t care what the analytics say by 25-26 he’s a star

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Don't like as a B's fan.

I think Hanafin is much more skilled while being very mobile himself. And the size increase is a big deal in the playoffs, where battles need to be won along the boards and in front of the net. Hanafin isn't a banger but the increased reach/strength to battle for position will make him tougher to deal with than Grz. There's a reason the Bruins have actively shopped for a bigger top pairing LD the past two seasons. IMO, Hanafin and Lindholm are in the same tier of defenseman.

Reactions: Double Dion

MakeCgyGreatAgain

Feb 3, 2003
Calgary, AB
Would do this for Chabot, just dont know how to make the money work for Boston.
Chabot is not valued like he once was. He’s overpayed at this stage. Cap space is so valuable that all players who are overpaid are a liability and they take away from the team. it’s crazy to think that a player could be adored or despise by a fan base just based on their salary. Chabot is one of those guys now. He is not worth his contract.

Double Dion

Jets fan 28/06/2014
Feb 9, 2011
I think Hanafin is much more skilled while being very mobile himself. And the size increase is a big deal in the playoffs, where battles need to be won along the boards and in front of the net. Hanafin isn't a banger but the increased reach/strength to battle for position will make him tougher to deal with than Grz. There's a reason the Bruins have actively shopped for a bigger top pairing LD the past two seasons. IMO, Hanafin and Lindholm are in the same tier of defenseman.
This is accurate. Hanifin ideally is the #2 defenseman for a team. Our team doesn't have a #1 defenseman, but we have 3 guys who are #2s and 2 guys who are 2nd pairing guys. Hanifin is actually an excellent defensive D who can put up 40-50 points, play on PP2 and PK1.

Reactions: PB37

NinjaTurtle

Feb 29, 2020
Windsor, Ont.
So many Bruins fans wouldn’t be down, but mostly curious if Boston’s max offer would be in the running or not.

2025 1st, Mason Lorhei, Matt Grzelcyk, Oscar Jellvick for Hanifin with enough retention to even out with Gryz’s cap hit.

Here is Wheeler on Lorhei:

I would add that he is not yet ready for top 4 time on a contender. But, he has made noticeable strides in his first pro year. Good learner. 6’4” two way D that leans offense. Really good playmaker in the o-zone. Good skating for his size but with heavy emphasis on the qualifier. It’s including him in the offer that most Bruins fans would thumb their nose at. He will be an NHLer and the ceiling is high. He is also one of those guys with a lot of uncertainty where he is going to fall in that spectrum. If Calgary prefers Lysell, sure that’s fine.

Gryz is there for cap. He has been in the top 5 in +\- for D in his career, but also last amongst his peers in the playoffs. Whether that is about sample size or his size is a never ending debate on Boston’s board. With Calgary having so few D signed beyond this year, you can view him as a test run, but I understand his value isn’t much to Calgary.

Jellvik is a placeholder for any Bruins prospect not named Lysell or Portras.

If Bruins fans were on board (and I’m not sure I would be either) would this get them in the conversation?
I understand fans on both sides taking issue with the trade, but I’d do it as a Flames fan and it’s eerily similar to Conroy’s haul for Lindholm. Lohrei is steep but makes up for waiting until 2025 for the first. Love the underrated value Gryz could bring to the team while replacing minutes.

DKH

The Bergeron of HF
Feb 27, 2002
I understand fans on both sides taking issue with the trade, but I’d do it as a Flames fan and it’s eerily similar to Conroy’s haul for Lindholm. Lohrei is steep but makes up for waiting until 2025 for the first. Love the underrated value Gryz could bring to the team while replacing minutes.
Boston would be nuts to trade Lohrei

Reactions: TobanWest

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad