Proposal: Hanifin to Boston

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So many Bruins fans wouldn’t be down, but mostly curious if Boston’s max offer would be in the running or not.

2025 1st, Mason Lorhei, Matt Grzelcyk, Oscar Jellvick for Hanifin with enough retention to even out with Gryz’s cap hit.

Here is Wheeler on Lorhei:

Lorhei’s late-blooming but rapid progression has turned a lot of heads over the last few years. He went from undrafted to second-team all-star and overaged second-rounder, to USHL Defenseman of the Year, to one of the most productive defensemen in college hockey in consecutive seasons, an immediate standout in the AHL and a few really strong showings in his first NHL appearance.

I wondered, when his age and size advantage were muted up levels, whether his tools on either side of the puck would translate smoothly. But he has just continued to look the part on offense and defense, making slight adjustments to his game without losing some of the bold command that made him who he was at lower levels. His game is less and less rough around the edges, and his tools have continued to stand out (the 6-foot-4 frame, the confidence with the puck on his stick considering that size, the physical imposition, etc.). He plays hard, he has become more and more consistent and he has shown an aptitude to recover and track back whenever he’s made a mistake pushing up ice. With continued reps, he’s got the tools to be a good NHL defenseman.

I would add that he is not yet ready for top 4 time on a contender. But, he has made noticeable strides in his first pro year. Good learner. 6’4” two way D that leans offense. Really good playmaker in the o-zone. Good skating for his size but with heavy emphasis on the qualifier. It’s including him in the offer that most Bruins fans would thumb their nose at. He will be an NHLer and the ceiling is high. He is also one of those guys with a lot of uncertainty where he is going to fall in that spectrum. If Calgary prefers Lysell, sure that’s fine.

Gryz is there for cap. He has been in the top 5 in +\- for D in his career, but also last amongst his peers in the playoffs. Whether that is about sample size or his size is a never ending debate on Boston’s board. With Calgary having so few D signed beyond this year, you can view him as a test run, but I understand his value isn’t much to Calgary.

Jellvik is a placeholder for any Bruins prospect not named Lysell or Portras.

If Bruins fans were on board (and I’m not sure I would be either) would this get them in the conversation?

FLAMESFAN

Feb 27, 2002
Lorhei sounds interesting, we do need more physical D
We could also use Gryz to eat some of Hanifin's minutes

I would just hope they could get a top prospect in any return.

DJJones

Nov 18, 2014
Calgary
I have no idea how to analyze prospects like Lorhei. Ya on paper it looks good but it would all come down to if Flames scouts think he can immediately play and be expected to improve.

Petes2424

Aug 4, 2005
Just not sure they’ll be the team who can/will offer the Flames the best package. It’s also overkill, as it would be for Vegas.

Probably why they’d both be in the hunt for him.

bringbacktheskate604

Jul 20, 2022
So many Bruins fans wouldn’t be down, but mostly curious if Boston’s max offer would be in the running or not.

2025 1st, Mason Lorhei, Matt Grzelcyk, Oscar Jellvick for Hanifin with enough retention to even out with Gryz’s cap hit.

Here is Wheeler on Lorhei:

I would add that he is not yet ready for top 4 time on a contender. But, he has made noticeable strides in his first pro year. Good learner. It’s including him in the offer that most Bruins fans would thumb their nose at. He will be an NHLer and the ceiling is high. He is also one of those guys with a lot of uncertainty where he is going to fall in that spectrum. If Calgary prefers Lysell, sure that’s fine.

Gryz is there for cap. He has been in the top 5 in +\- for D in his career, but also last amongst his peers in the playoffs. Whether that is about sample size or his size is a never ending debate on Boston’s board. With Calgary having so few D signed beyond this year, you can view him as a test run, but I understand his value isn’t much to Calgary.

Jellvik is a placeholder for any Bruins prospect not named Lysell or Portras.

If Bruins fans were on board (and I’m not sure I would be either) would this get them in the conversation?
So no 2024 1st and not your top "prospect" who's not even a real high -end one to boot. Ya how could the flames say no? you guys are likely bridesmaids in any player your team tries to aquire unless a team needs a great goalie and you guys decide to move one.

I hate to actually admit this but the bruins are so well coached and have players that 100% play within the system, a big move might not be needed and it seemed to affect them negatively last year. The bruins are my pick from the east, there's other solid teams like the canes and panthers but the bruins have such a strong defence and goaltending with just enough offense along with two guys in Brad and pasta, that are game breakers that unless they choke, they will be a tough out.

I think most of the trades that we see happen will come from the west. We've already seen two of the top teams make moves putting pressure on the Avs, Stars and Knights to follow suit

• Haha
Reactions: PatriceBergeronFan

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Think Boston pretty much stands pat this season
I honestly don't understand how they can. This may be Marchand's last season, and it's highly unprobable you get such an ideal goaltending situation with two bonafide studs at reasonable cost to man the nets moving forward. You're getting solid contributions from vet min guys like JVR and it's highly doubtful they can afford to resign Debrusk. This may be the last true chance they have to go for it before so much doubt creeps in.

Mrfenn92

Proud to be American
Sponsor
Nov 27, 2018
Chicago,Illinois
I honestly don't understand how they can. This may be Marchand's last season, and it's highly unprobable you get such an ideal goaltending situation with two bonafide studs at reasonable cost to man the nets moving forward. You're getting solid contributions from vet min guys like JVR and it's highly doubtful they can afford to resign Debrusk. This may be the last true chance they have to go for it before so much doubt creeps in.
You might be correct

Reactions: TheBeard

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
I honestly don't understand how they can. This may be Marchand's last season, and it's highly unprobable you get such an ideal goaltending situation with two bonafide studs at reasonable cost to man the nets moving forward. You're getting solid contributions from vet min guys like JVR and it's highly doubtful they can afford to resign Debrusk. This may be the last true chance they have to go for it before so much doubt creeps in
This isn't Marchand's last season. He still has a year. They've gotten good goaltending for 15 years, its not improbable at all. They have plenty of cap space to sign DeBrusk if they want. Overall, you wrong about everything.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
So no 2024 1st and not your top "prospect" who's not even a real high -end one to boot. Ya how could the flames say no? you guys are likely bridesmaids in any player your team tries to aquire unless a team needs a great goalie and you guys decide to move one.

I hate to actually admit this but the bruins are so well coached and have players that 100% play within the system, a big move might not be needed and it seemed to affect them negatively last year. The bruins are my pick from the east, there's other solid teams like the canes and panthers but the bruins have such a strong defence and goaltending with just enough offense along with two guys in Brad and pasta, that are game breakers that unless they choke, they will be a tough out.

I think most of the trades that we see happen will come from the west. We've already seen two of the top teams make moves putting pressure on the Avs, Stars and Knights to follow suit

I think the disconnect is that Bruins fans refer to him as their top prospect and outsiders don’t. Poitras obviously changed the calibration with his strong training camp, but while he shows excellent IQ, there are obviously questions about his combo of slight build and average speed, but he obviously has jumped to a level where no team would include a prospect of that caliber in a deal.

Edit: but Lysell is generally put at the top of Boston’s prospect list. I think Boston fans and media view Lorhei higher because a 6’4” D with puck skills is more of a unicorn, where as a quick and speedy winger like Lysell is more common.

Last edited:

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
This isn't Marchand's last season. He still has a year. They've gotten good goaltending for 15 years, its not improbable at all. They have plenty of cap space to sign DeBrusk if they want. Overall, you wrong about everything.
Marchand may very well retire even with another year left on his deal, but even if he doesn't, he'll turn 37 during next season and it's only a matter of time before regression hits like it did Ovi. The goaltending, while solid, certainly hurt them last year in the playoffs when Monty decided to bypass the 1A/1B routine than worked for them all season. They don't have plenty of space. Next year they already have 60 million tied up into a mere 13 players, so unless they plan on going dumpster diving again in the hopes of striking oil again, it seems like a foolish way to take advantage of a strong core in their prime. Even still, if they opt to sign Swaymann and DeBrusk, those two combined will knock off another 10-12 million annually from what space they have left leaving about 16 or so for 10 players (I'm assuming Reily isn't back).

I suppose it's possible, but I really don't see why they wouldn't push all their chips in, especially since it doesn't look as if there's an overwhelming favorite on either side.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
Marchand may very well retire even with another year left on his deal, but even if he doesn't, he'll turn 37 during next season and it's only a matter of time before regression hits like it did Ovi. The goaltending, while solid, certainly hurt them last year in the playoffs when Monty decided to bypass the 1A/1B routine than worked for them all season. They don't have plenty of space. Next year they already have 60 million tied up into a mere 13 players, so unless they plan on going dumpster diving again in the hopes of striking oil again, it seems like a foolish way to take advantage of a strong core in their prime. Even still, if they opt to sign Swaymann and DeBrusk, those two combined will knock off another 10-12 million annually from what space they have left leaving about 16 or so for 10 players (I'm assuming Reily isn't back).

I suppose it's possible, but I really don't see why they wouldn't push all their chips in, especially since it doesn't look as if there's an overwhelming favorite on either side.
Marchand isnt retiring dude. He's 2nd on the team for points. Not sure what last years goalie rotation has to do with anything. $60 million leaves another $28 to fill out the roster. Its not a worry. They arent pushing their chips in. Its a bridge year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
I don't think that Boston has much of a chance at a SC this year or in the near future.

Last season they got bumped in the first round and that was with a partial Bergeron and only Marchand is back from their top 4 scorers in that first round.

Yes I know they are in first place in their division but they seem more built for the regular season than any SC contender run.

Bond

May 10, 2012
I think Boston will just take the gamble Hanifin is traded as a rental

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
I don't think that Boston has much of a chance at a SC this year or in the near future.

Last season they got bumped in the first round and that was with a partial Bergeron and only Marchand is back from their top 4 scorers in that first round.

Yes I know they are in first place in their division but they seem more built for the regular season than any SC contender run.
As long as their goaltending is clicking then they’re contenders. Monty getting away from a rotation against Florida cost them badly. Ullmark was cooked by games 5 and 6 and why Monty waited until game 7 to give Swayman a look was beyond foolish.

Reactions: wintersej

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA

Reilly was bought out. I don’t think you have the right read in their cap situation.

Here is a lineup with them re-signing Swayman and DeBrusk to realistic deals: Bruins offseason cap situation - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

They have room for one big move (whether they move a goalie or not), but that move could come at LD or in the forward group. And that is going to make for an interesting offseason.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
Reilly was bought out. I don’t think you have the right read in their cap situation.

Here is a lineup with them re-signing Swayman and DeBrusk to realistic deals: Bruins offseason cap situation - CapFriendly - NHL Salary Caps

They have room for one big move (whether they move a goalie or not), but that move could come at LD or in the forward group. And that is going to make for an interesting offseason.
I think this particular scenario is banking on a lot of things to go right. It’s still a thin forward group, especially down the middle, and you’re suddenly asking Swayman to play 80% of games, which could go either way. So far Lysell, while young, hasn’t proven he can be a top 6 forward yet and if Marchand starts regressing you’re basically putting everything on Pasta.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Lorhei sounds interesting, we do need more physical D
We could also use Gryz to eat some of Hanifin's minutes

I would just hope they could get a top prospect in any return.

Yeah like the other poster said, Lorhei is more of the “use your big reach” mold of defender like a Brandon Carlo, not a bruiser. His details on his defensive game still need a lot of work. The offense is much more pro ready, but the Bruins aren’t really in a position for on the job training at the NHL level.

Nothingbutglass

Sep 28, 2017
As long as their goaltending is clicking then they’re contenders. Monty getting away from a rotation against Florida cost them badly. Ullmark was cooked by games 5 and 6 and why Monty waited until game 7 to give Swayman a look was beyond foolish.
He admitted on local radio that was mistake, especially because it seemed Ullmark was banged up. Lets see how he handles this year.

wetcoast

Nov 20, 2018
As long as their goaltending is clicking then they’re contenders.
We are going to agree to disagree here.

It's one thing to have the record they do in the regular season but those centers are just too big or a weakness this year.

Monty getting away from a rotation against Florida cost them badly. Ullmark was cooked by games 5 and 6 and why Monty waited until game 7 to give Swayman a look was beyond foolish.
Frankly I think that window closed.

TheBeard

He fixes the cable?
Jul 12, 2019
Vegass
He admitted on local radio that was mistake, especially because it seemed Ullmark was banged up. Let’s see how he handles this year.
He admitted on local radio that was mistake, especially because it seemed Ullmark was banged up. Lets see how he handles this year.
he seems smart enough to learn from past mistakes.

We are going to agree to disagree here.

It's one thing to have the record they do in the regular season but those centers are just too big or a weakness this year.

Frankly I think that window closed.
I have advocated here they make a move for a bonafide 2C like Couture or Hertl. It won’t be cheap either in contract or trade but I do think the one thing they’re missing is that. I don’t trust going into the playoffs with Zacha and Coyle as your top two center men no matter how well they’ve played this season. Both were essentially invisible against Florida last year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad