Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

WhatTheDuck

9 - 20 - 8
May 17, 2007
Worst Case, Ontario
So, has anyone added up the cap space available + Despres LTIR credit + Etem's salary yet?

Unless I'm missing something we currently have only gained about 175K by waiving Etem and recalling Tokarski. Once both of their salaries are off the big league roster I believe we would be at roughly 4.7M, so sending down a Dman could just barely accommodate Lindholm based on the numbers that have been reported for him.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
Much like my physical appearance, he's looked decisively average so far.

He needs to start contributing more offensively. He's been decent mostly in his own end (nowhere near as good as last year though) but has taken a step back offensively.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Because I wasn't sarcastic.

At all.

It didn't come across as sarcastic. It came across as reactionary and negative over a small sample size.

You know, like hearing you say 50 times that this isn't a playoff team.

Lindholm has been underwhelming, but not at the level of someone like Vatanen or Perry. He's also pretty consistently been sluggish to start seasons. We need him to be better than just average, but he hasn't been bad. Vatanen has been bad. Perry has been bad. If the past seasons are any sign, Lindholm will start to improve and the team will be that much better.

Oct 18, 2011
He's playing mediocre at best, seems to have trouble handling the puck, unlike Rakell it appears missing camp has really hurt him. Hope he gets it together because this team needs him to play a lot better

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
Started slow with a camp last year. Probably gonna be up and down this year

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
Started slow with a camp last year. Probably gonna be up and down this year

Yeah, it took him a bit to get going last season too, and that was with a full camp.

It's hard to say that the difference here is camp vs. no camp. He may just be a slow starter. It's annoying, because we could really use the good Lindholm right now, but I also think it's still too early to be concerned. Perry and Vatanen are another matter. They have played double the games of Lindholm so far this season, and are creeping up on 30 games now. 30 games of frustratingly poor play. Lindholm only has 13 games of rather mediocre play. Not quite as worrisome, just yet.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
I think people are being a little over dramatic about vatanen.... But Perry deserves all the insults he is getting.

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013
I think people are being a little over dramatic about vatanen.... But Perry deserves all the insults he is getting.

Disagree about Vatanen. He isn't pushing the play offensively at all and has straight up had games where he's a defensive liability. He hasn't played to his contract this year and sucked at the World Cup. It's like he did nothing at all this offseason. I wish we traded him for scoring help over the summer. The idea that he was more important to this team than Fowler was ridiculous last season and this season is proving it even more so far. We have a guy ripping up the AHL that plays basically the same game as him and that could have been his spot.

Perry has been much worse though, I agree. I'm not against making him a healthy scratch at this point.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

I have to say, that's a bit amusing to hear from you. You were practically screaming to dump Fowler after the playoffs, and were saying that Fowler hadn't evolved at all as a defenseman. You went on a rant about how he never steps up, how he's terrible despite being a world class skater, he's soft, his shot was terrible, etc... You want to talk about being over dramatic? Stones. Glass houses.

Vatanen is being paid $5m, and outside of a couple of good games, he's been hugely underwhelming. The dude just hasn't proven he can be in a top 4 role and be an impact player for us. Sure, Perry is getting paid much more, and his performance stands out that much more as a result, but Vatanen still looks like he didn't bother training in the off-season. I think the frustration surrounding his play is justified.

He can still turn things around, and I don't see anyone suggesting otherwise, but this is a pretty unacceptable start for him, especially when you consider the rather large pay day he just received. He needs to wake the **** up, and start earning that contract. The days of him getting 3rd pairing match ups, and being spoon fed offensive opportunities is past. It would be over dramatic to call Vatanen trash, or to say that he should be traded based on 26 games. Saying he's been underwhelming, and at times bad, or that he hasn't been playing to the level of his new contract isn't over dramatic. Even saying that if this continues, that he might find himself in trade talks isn't over dramatic. Especially if it's true, and it probably is. On a list of players Anaheim needs to be (much) better, he's a comfortable #2 on the list. The gap between him and #3 is rather large.

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
Disagree about Vatanen. He isn't pushing the play offensively at all and has straight up had games where he's a defensive liability. He hasn't played to his contract this year and sucked at the World Cup. It's like he did nothing at all this offseason. I wish we traded him for scoring help over the summer. The idea that he was more important to this team than Fowler was ridiculous last season and this season is proving it even more so far. We have a guy ripping up the AHL that plays basically the same game as him and that could have been his spot.

Perry has been much worse though, I agree. I'm not against making him a healthy scratch at this point.

He is paired with Fowler how hard can he push the play offensively

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006

Fowler seems to be doing okay at that. :dunno:

I don't even like them as a pairing, but if you're suggesting that playing with Fowler is holding him back offensively, I'm not sure what you're seeing. The opportunity is there. Sami just isn't getting his feet moving. Cam seems to be doing all the work on that pairing right now. At both ends of the ice.

I'd much rather see Vatanen with Lindholm, and Manson back with Fowler. I think that's a better complement, all-around. But Vatanen just isn't doing much when he has the puck. He also only has 34 shots so far this season. That means he's averaging the same amount of shots per game as Hampus Lindholm. Lindholm, who is averaging almost 2 minutes of PP time less than Vatanen.

Last edited:

Goose of Reason

El Zilcho
May 1, 2013

What's your point? Fowler is better both defensively and offensively this season. It's not like Sami suddenly has to take on a stay at home role, and if he has been he's been doing a bad job of it.

I do really dislike that pairing though. Both Sami and Cam are better when they have someone they can rely on defensively so they can play their own game (Stoner, Manson/Despres) and they have very similar strengths and weaknesses. There was no need to break up Fowler-Manson when they played great for us to start the year.

Sojourn

Nov 1, 2006
For context, Sami averaged 2 shots per game last season. That was the highest on the blue line. The season before, it was 1.8.

This season, it's 1.3.

I don't know how much the coach is involved in the change, but it certainly doesn't feel like Vatanen is shooting when the opportunity is there.

edit: Lindholm's shooting is down too, for what it's worth, but people have also noted that his offensive game seems to have taken a step back to start the season.

Dr Johnny Fever

Eggplant and Teal
Apr 11, 2012
Lower Left Coast
Hampus stated (in some quotes in an ES column I believe) that he has focused solely on his defense since missing camp and joining the team late. While that is probably the right thing to do, I still hold it against him since this is all a direct result of his holdout. He's having an underwhelming start. He owes us on the back half of the season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad