Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
The maple leafs would not trade Matthews for Lindolm and 2 firsts let's get real here and Lindholm is my favorite player on the team.

That's their prerogative. Someone else quite possibly would. At a minimum, it's a 1st, not a 2nd. If that screws up the tank commander in Toronto, that's not our problem. If they want to make it a top 3 protected 1st, that's fine, but then the add goes up too because we have to wait.

Edit - I was referring to Marner/Nylander ++, not Matthews.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
The maple leafs would not trade Matthews for Lindolm and 2 firsts let's get real here and Lindholm is my favorite player on the team.

No matter how much you like Marner and Nylander, they haven't proven enough at the NHL level to return a #1 D that is 22 years old by themselves. It really doesn't matter how enamored you are by a players dangles, until you produce at a near PPG pace (like Hall had in the past) in the NHL, you don't have that value.

The only other way you have that value is by being a can't miss #1 overall pick prospect like a McDavid/Eichel/Matthews...and those guys don't get moved.

So Lindholm to Toronto is a no go

Ducks Nation*

Mar 19, 2013
No matter how much you like Marner and Nylander, they haven't proven enough at the NHL level to return a #1 D that is 22 years old by themselves. It really doesn't matter how enamored you are by a players dangles, until you produce at a near PPG pace (like Hall had in the past) in the NHL, you don't have that value.

The only other way you have that value is by being a can't miss #1 overall pick prospect like a McDavid/Eichel/Matthews...and those guys don't get moved.

So Lindholm to Toronto is a no go

I don't want to trade lindholm for marner or nylander... I don't want to trade lindholm at all I think you are confused because I told someone Marner is better than Nylander. That doesn't mean I would move lindholm for either.

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
If that 5.5 price was for six years, then I think Lemieux is right to wait on Murray to close the distance.

Last edited:

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
You know what, BM has a legitimate negotiation tactic here. If Lindholm were to sit out the entire year, he would be forfeiting ~$5.5M

Let's say the Ducks and Lindholm are 500K per year away from an agreement for a 6 year term. That's a disagreement of $3 million total over 6 years. So doing the math, sometime in about January/February, Lindholm will officially be costing himself money EVEN IF he gets his way with the 500K disagreement

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
Is it 500k? It sounded like they came down to 5.5 from what sounded like 5.8 or 5.9 a week ago, based on that statement from Sunday.

duari91

Apr 12, 2011

BM probably dug in early, and Lindholm followed thereafter. Both sides are willing concede playing time for a majority of the year.

But honestly, BM needs to step up and either pay him, or trade him. If the contract demands are too unreasonable to pay him, so be it.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Is it 500k? It sounded like they came down to 5.5 from what sounded like 5.8 or 5.9 a week ago, based on that statement from Sunday.

I have no idea.

For all we know Murray isn't budging off 5 million (what Reilly got). Which would be a bit unreasonable on his part. But even still, decision day is coming for Hampus or he's going to be losing out on money over the life of his deal even if he ends up "winning the battle"

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
BM probably dug in early, and Lindholm followed thereafter. Both sides are willing concede playing time for a majority of the year.

But honestly, BM needs to step up and either pay him, or trade him. If the contract demands are too unreasonable to pay him, so be it.

We're not at that point yet though. I say let Lindholm and his agent keep sweating it out. We're getting Ricky back tonight and barring no further injuries we can stay in the playoff chase in a weak division without Hampus. I want to see what happens when Lindholm and his agent realize they're costing themselves money that can't be made back

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
I have no idea.

For all we know Murray isn't budging off 5 million (what Reilly got). Which would be a bit unreasonable on his part. But even still, decision day is coming for Hampus or he's going to be losing out on money over the life of his deal even if he ends up "winning the battle"

If Murray holds to 5 million, then the entirety of my sympathies roll right over to Lindholm's camp. He ought to start taking calls if that's the case.

caliamad

Mar 14, 2003
Visit site
I think there are a bunch of issues:

1) We don't know extent of Depres injuries

2) Other teams are bending Murray to dump camp

3) We don't know where each side "drawn the line in the sand"

I think I've read a few places we can fit in a 5.3-5.4 hit, but anything more requires a trade.

If Lindholm is stuck on 5.65-5.75, which I think he deseves, Murray may just be taking the approach "then wait, my hands are tied".

I'd really like to know what people have asked for to take on stoner's contract? Is it really a Montour/Larsson type piece, 1st round pick, or something much smaller.

Eventually someone will need a defenseman, and we'll be able to move them more easily than any other team in the league.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
Couple more.....

So 1.5 million over the entirety of the contract is the holdup.

LOL wow.

Can't say I'm with Lindholm and his a-hole agent on this one if that info is correct. that's an extremely small amount of money to be haggling over considering you're losing money by not playing right now

Exit Dose

Jul 2, 2011
Georgia
So I'm guessing it's 5.25 versus 5.5? Can't we just settle on 5.4, if 5.5 is problematic, and call it a contract?

Ducks DVM

sowcufucakky
Jun 6, 2010
Long Beach, CA
He may be wanting 5.5M per year with 5M as a signing bonus every year (or whatever the CBA limit is). We have no idea if that 5.5 is actually reasonable. BM may have dropped his offer out of spite. Who knows.

Hockey Duckie

Jul 25, 2003
southern cal
LOL wow.

Can't say I'm with Lindholm and his a-hole agent on this one if that info is correct. that's an extremely small amount of money to be haggling over considering you're losing money by not playing right now

$250K times 6 years is $1.5 mil. Maybe the Agent wants a bigger bonus?

duari91

Apr 12, 2011
He may be wanting 5.5M per year with 5M as a signing bonus every year (or whatever the CBA limit is). We have no idea if that 5.5 is actually reasonable. BM may have dropped his offer out of spite. Who knows.

Seems to be the most likely scenario if they are really only 250k apart in actual contract salary. Maybe the bonus increases to somehow compensate the potential lost pay this season?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad