Player Discussion Hampus Lindholm III - the Return/Revenge of the Swede?

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
when healthy lindholm is easily our best d and one of the better 1ds in the league with potential to be top 5-10 d in the league

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
when healthy lindholm is easily our best d and one of the better 1ds in the league with potential to be top 5-10 d in the league
Hampus is a great defenseman but I think you should calm down, Lindholm has not proven he can be the best on our team, let alone ''easily''. Injuries? He has played only 1 game less than Cam Fowler this year
I will not even comment the 1lds in the league.

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
Hampus is a great defenseman but I think you should calm down, Lindholm has not proven he can be the best on our team, let alone ''easily''. Injuries? He has played only 1 game less than Cam Fowler this year
I will not even comment the 1lds in the league.

I said potential, as in when healthy he plays like a 1d but has the potential to be top 5 -10 down the road because he is elite defensively and can still get points with his shot, speed and passing. our issue with him over the last year and a half has been his consistency, some of which may be attributed to injuries. there is a reason why his plus minus has been near the top in the league over the last 5 years and he was very dominant with montour last post season.

Kalv

Slava Ukraini
Mar 29, 2009
Latvia
I said potential, as in when healthy he plays like a 1d but has the potential to be top 5 -10 down the road because he is elite defensively and can still get points with his shot, speed and passing. our issue with him over the last year and a half has been his consistency, some of which may be attributed to injuries. there is a reason why his plus minus has been near the top in the league over the last 5 years and he was very dominant with montour last post season.
There have been a few games where he played like that but also Derek Grant have had great games. My opinion: you are putting a bit too high expectations on him. He has a lot to prove still - as good as he have been. The games I have seen with him so far this year, he have been a very good 2nd pair or a good #2 defenseman. You are putting him waaaaay higher

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
I’m a massive Lindholm fan anyone who reads my posts could tell you that but since RC took over I think he’s plateaud completely and hasn’t really took off and been the guy I think he’s capable of. This year even with the few bad games recently he’s been very good defensively but I think he has another gear offensively. The hattrick is great but I think it was more a lucky game than anything. Hopefully it gives him a bit more confidence because his lack of offense is what prevents him from being regarded as one of the top guys in the league.

Paul4587

Jan 26, 2006
There have been a few games where he played like that but also Derek Grant have had great games. My opinion: you are putting a bit too high expectations on him. He has a lot to prove still - as good as he have been. The games I have seen with him so far this year, he have been a very good 2nd pair or a good #2 defenseman. You are putting him waaaaay higher

2nd pair is selling him way short, he’s easily been our number one guy this year although all of our D have played like garbage so that’s not much of a feat.

But yeah I agree he’s got a ways to go and a lot to prove still.

AngelDuck

Rak 'em up
Jun 16, 2012
11 points in 23 games is pretty good for a guy with elite defensive abilities. Not saying he'll keep it up

pylon17

Jan 19, 2017
Lindholm is a top-pair D, that shouldn't even be up for debate. He's a slight tier below superduper types like Pietrangelo but that's no slight.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
I vaguely remember an article where RC said he wanted Lindholm to specifically focus on shutdown defense rather than offence.
Which makes his goal scoring & point rate this year look even better.
Only 4 away from matching his career high in goals.

pbgoalie

Aug 8, 2010
I'm sure plenty have had shoulder injuries. I have 2 rotator cuff tears and a torn labrum I'm rehabbing.
I know how hard he works, but I'm still amazed at what he's done coming back from his surgery.

If he can stay healthy it will be fun to see where he can rise to

KelVarnsen

May 2, 2010
Mission Viejo
I vaguely remember an article where RC said he wanted Lindholm to specifically focus on shutdown defense rather than offence.

Which is a dumb old school type of thinking when it comes to a guy with Lindholm’s skill. He can absolutely be an offensive player and not lose his defensive awareness.

If only RC would tell his “veteran” dman to solely concentrate on defense..........sigh.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Trojans86

Dec 30, 2015
lindholm has been considered a 1d for awhile now. he has had some injuries which I believe has slowed him down (don't see how it wouldnt). I agree he has been playing more like a low end 1d while working through injuries but when healthy he is great and was excellent with montour in the playoffs last year. he is still pretty young and with his size, speed and skill I do see potential to get even better if he can stay healthy.

and I know it is easy to rip our defense this year but a lot of that blame has to go on the forwards. when you have 4th line centers on all 4 lines you should expect some troubles.

Reactions: Anaheim4ever

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
lindholm has been considered a 1d for awhile now. he has had some injuries which I believe has slowed him down (don't see how it wouldnt). I agree he has been playing more like a low end 1d while working through injuries but when healthy he is great and was excellent with montour in the playoffs last year. he is still pretty young and with his size, speed and skill I do see potential to get even better if he can stay healthy.

and I know it is easy to rip our defense this year but a lot of that blame has to go on the forwards. when you have 4th line centers on all 4 lines you should expect some troubles.
Very true it makes it harder for him to play his puck possession game & prevent shot attempts when some of the guys he could pass to aren't as good & aren't positioning themselves as good.

mightyquack

eggplant and jade or bust
Apr 28, 2010
I mean, the defence has probably played worse since our 1c in Getzlaf came back. It's easy to just blame the 4th liners playing, but this is far more of a system problem then a player problem on the defensive side of things.

Aug 11, 2011
Am Yisrael Chai
I disagree. I think Fowler has been mediocre at best. His gap control is poor and defensively he’s been hemmed in his own end far too often. Offensively they’re producing similarly although I think Fowler has been better in that regard.
With Montour regressing, Fowler's pretty much the only guy who skate the puck out of trouble anymore. We're seeing totally different things. I haven't been impressed with Lindholm but for a handful of games this year. Similar production...took a miraculous hat trick to do it, but yeah. Neither guy is much of a threat in that way, anyway.

eternalbedhead

Let's not rebuild and say we did
Aug 10, 2015
Corona, CA
With Montour regressing, Fowler's pretty much the only guy who skate the puck out of trouble anymore. We're seeing totally different things. I haven't been impressed with Lindholm but for a handful of games this year. Similar production...took a miraculous hat trick to do it, but yeah. Neither guy is much of a threat in that way, anyway.
Fowler's transition game isn't in question, here. He hasn't been all that great in his own zone. Not by analytics -- the eye test. He's been alright offensively overall, but outside of a few great games, he hasn't lit up the board there, either.

To be fair, Lindholm hasn't looked great by any stretch but I'd say he's been better.

Anaheim4ever

Jun 15, 2017
Now leads Ducks D-men in goals by 2, its starting to look like he'll end up having the most D-men goals on the team, he did it a few years ago & looks to do it again. He's streaky so if he gets on a streak he could end up with 12 goals despite missing so many games.

Who would have thought Lindholm would turn into a better goal scorer than Vatanen ?

Reactions: Magnus the Duck

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad