Confirmed with Link: Hamonic to Ottawa

BonHoonLayneCornell

Oct 16, 2006
Yukon
I saw this as one of Dorion's better "stop gap" moves. I get not liking the cost, but I think he's a much better fit than some other's we've plugged holes with. I liked the aav and term enough to think it was worth it.

Reactions: NB613 and Ice-Tray

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
Ottawa finally gets the shutdown D they needed for so long that PD couldn't seem to find before in Hamonic & Holden. MDZ is also playing very well & these three hopefully should help Ottawa get off to a better start next yr along with a healthy Chabot & Sanderson.

Chabot - Zub
Sanderson - Hamonic
Holden - MDZ/Zaitsev
yikes

• Haha
Reactions: TheNewEra

The Lewler

GOAT BUDGET AINEC
Jul 2, 2013
Eastern Ontario Badlands
I gotta pay attention a little more down the final stretch here.

I will say that I was at the game tonight, and I didn't notice Hamonic at all. Like I saw a scrum and I was like "oh.. he is playing."

So as far as defensive D go, thats an ok game I suppose.

Alfie11

Feb 23, 2018
Hamonic is definitely playing better than we were told to expect. He's been solid in his time.

My concern with him is that he and Sanderson are what the Sens plan to use to plug the holes in the defence, in lieu of the legit top 4 guy they need.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
I don’t think we still ‘desperately need’ a top 4 guy.

We have Chabot, Zub, Holden, Hamonic, Zaitsev, Sanderson, MDZ already here for next season, with JBD and Tompson knocking at the door. That’s a pretty good squad for where we are in our development.

We want to push for a wails card spot next season, but at the same time we can’t lose focus on the fact that Sanderson, JBD, and Tompson of key prospect/rookies that need play time and opportunity.

We aren’t at the stage where we’re looking to add that last one or two guys to put us over the top. We’re at that stage where we’re hoping that Pinto can have a full season, that we can add a top six winger, that Sanderson can get a rookie season under his belt, and that Tompson/JBD are ready to join the team.

There is excitement in talking about trying to make the playoffs, but let’s not get ahead of ourselves. If our team is fighting for a wildcard spot down the stretch and miss out, that’s a huge development for our team compared to last season, this season, and next season.

We need a few tweaks to help the process, but we have to balance that with making sure our top prospects get opportunity still. To that end I’m ok with having added Sanderson and Hamonic to the backend, unless we can get a good UFA to come here. I don’t want to trade good assets for a ‘top 4’ guy anymore because I don’t think it’s worth it. I think people over estimate the quality of the 4-6 spots on other teams.

I think we need to add some scoring up front, one guy, maybe two. I’m happy with just Giroux, and I’d be over the moon with Fiala as well depending on the trade.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
I gotta pay attention a little more down the final stretch here.

I will say that I was at the game tonight, and I didn't notice Hamonic at all. Like I saw a scrum and I was like "oh.. he is playing."

So as far as defensive D go, thats an ok game I suppose.
Honestly, he's pretty much done what I've hoped for, similar to Holden in that he is quietly effective, and can move the puck when needed. I see him as a solid #5 Dman, maybe he can be our #4 in a pinch especially if he finds chemistry with somebody like Chabot or Sanderson.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina
Hamonic >> Gudbranson, J. Brown

But we still desperately need a top 4 D and I really freaking hope we get one. We have lots of draft picks and B level prospects available to bargain with. Adding one would make us a serious threat to make the playoffs

We're almost definitely getting a top 6 F.

So unless we trade both White AND Zaitsev AND maybe even someone else(think brannstrom) we don't have the money for a top 4 D. Unless it's an extremely savvy trade for someone on a good contract(think Holden like acquisition).

But Chabot and Sanderson are going to make a world of difference. Lassi is knocking on door of full-time spot too, I'd be extremely surprised to see a move made.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He’s proving to be better than josh brown and Zaitsev. Does that translate into more actual wins and points? Not sure.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
I honestly don't think it will take Sanderson long at all to adjust to the NHL. The kid is the real deal.

You may be right and I hope you are; however, I think the difference in size, skill and speed of NHL level players will take some time for Sanderson to get used to dealing with. So at the start of the season I expect he will eased into the league on the 3rd pair and then progress up the pairings.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa

It's better than what we have been watching but still requires improvement for the team to become a consistent playoff team and a SC contender. Hopefully one of Brannstrom, Thomson, JBD and perhaps our next 2022 1st round draft pick.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012
He’s proving to be better than josh brown and Zaitsev. Does that translate into more actual wins and points? Not sure.
He is a lot more physical and, "in your face" than Brown as well. They aren't even comparable at this point and if we can get a similar boost from Lasi or JBD over Z our D has become far, far more competent.

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
Don't worry, Hamonic, Holden & MDZ will be all UFAs next yr & Zaitsev the yr after, but I wouldn't mind seeing them re-sign Hamonic & Holden for another yr given how well those two have played defensively. They should get rid of Mete & Brannstrom this summer too. Mete with 7 pts in 34 games & Brannstrom with 8 pts in 39 games.

Loach

Jun 9, 2021
Don't worry, Hamonic, Holden & MDZ will be all UFAs next yr & Zaitsev the yr after, but I wouldn't mind seeing them re-sign Hamonic & Holden for another yr given how well those two have played defensively. They should get rid of Mete & Brannstrom this summer too. Mete with 7 pts in 34 games & Brannstrom with 8 pts in 39 games.
Didn't Brady, Chabot and Sanderson go to Holden's kids hockey game? Did I see that around here or else where? It was cool where ever it was. I bet Holden stays around on a bunch of 1 year contracts and then moves to another part of the org to help the team.

HSF

Sep 3, 2008
really early to say what Hamonic is tbh

We won't know till next season. Holden is a bottom pairing guy. I don't mind keeping these guys for the bottom pair but we seriously need to upgrade the top 4

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
really early to say what Hamonic is tbh

We won't know till next season. Holden is a bottom pairing guy. I don't mind keeping these guys for the bottom pair but we seriously need to upgrade the top 4
Too early to say what the 700 game vet is, after several games played on our team looking good.

Not too early to say what the 18 year old draft pick is the day he is drafted.

Classic!

Burrowsaurus

Mar 20, 2013
He is a lot more physical and, "in your face" than Brown as well. They aren't even comparable at this point and if we can get a similar boost from Lasi or JBD over Z our D has become far, far more competent.
Lassi a big big improvement over anyone as Chabots partner already earlier this year.

Reactions: Ice-Tray

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad