Confirmed with Link: Hamonic to Ottawa

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
That's where you're wrong. In my mind Balcers and Hamonic are not linked at all. I don't know how you got there. I mean, the events were separated by more than a year. The only common denominator there is Dorion screwing up on both counts.

Who knows dude - you like to tell people they are wrong. I have no idea where you fit in the
World of hockey but I do know that good hockey minds find their place in hockey. Your opinion is as valuable to me as the role you play in hockey. I assume that’s as a casual fan … but I’m open to the idea you may hold a higher role.

Perhaps I’m wrong. I know some elite hockey players who’s highest achievement in hockey is collegiate/CHL and capped out as Kanata Minor Novice House Evaluators - would
You be better ?

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yip, I totally forgot that he was waived due to his vax status. Still don't see how that makes me a liar. Technically he could have been picked up for free. I'm sure you verify all your facts and haven't forgotten anything when you post. If I go back in your history it surely is spotless.

What's my legion? LOL.

You made all those claims about how bad Dorion’s trade was and “forgot” he was waived on VAX status in the middle of a
Pandemic ?

Now that you know why Dorion didn’t acquire him earlier do you think it was a good idea to trade a third for Hamonic ? If not … why not ?

I doubt anyone would mind if you acknowledged your mistake and walked back your insults ?

Ralph Malfredsson

PhD in indiscreet street haggling
Sponsor
Jun 3, 2008
Who knows dude - you like to tell people they are wrong. I have no idea where you fit in the
World of hockey but I do know that good hockey minds find their place in hockey. Your opinion is as valuable to me as the role you play in hockey. I assume that’s as a casual fan … but I’m open to the idea you may hold a higher role.

Perhaps I’m wrong. I know some elite hockey players who’s highest achievement in hockey is collegiate/CHL and capped out as Kanata Minor Novice House Evaluators - would
You be better ?
FYI I peaked at house league, Atom.

Please contextualize any future comments I make with this knowledge.

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
You made all those claims about how bad Dorion’s trade was and “forgot” he was waived on VAX status in the middle of a
Pandemic ?

Now that you know why Dorion didn’t acquire him earlier do you think it was a good idea to trade a third for Hamonic ? If not … why not ?

I doubt anyone would mind if you acknowledged your mistake and walked back your insults ?

What mistake? That I mentioned he could have been free from waivers? That hold true.

I already posted plenty of evidence why Hamonic for a third was a bad trade. But it's your MO to ignore things when it's convenient.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
What mistake? That I mentioned he could have been free from waivers? That hold true.

I already posted plenty of evidence why Hamonic for a third was a bad trade. But it's your MO to ignore things when it's convenient.

Yes - we all know the Canucks pushed him through waivers in the middle of a global pandemic when he chose not to get vaccinated and limited his ability to play and travel.

Do you think he cleared waivers becuase he’s a bad hockey player , maybe he had a bad contact ?

or perhaps something else ?

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Yes - we all know the Canucks pushed him through waivers in the middle of a global pandemic when he chose not to get vaccinated and limited his ability to play and travel.

Do you think he cleared waivers becuase he’s a bad hockey player , maybe he had a bad contact ?

or perhaps something else ?

Huh? Why are we talking about why he was waived? That's irrelevant. I do see you did your ignore trick again.

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
A player can be free at one point with a set of circumstances around them and than quickly regain value when those are removed.

Evander Kane was free at one point - if a team acquired
Him now they would have to pay more than nothing.

I don’t think the team or league had any interest in smearing anti vaxers by plucking them from teams who tried to manage the situation.

Travis Hamonic’s value was never ZERO. He was a person trying to protect his families health in a global pandemic and the team stuck him somewhere so they could manage their roster.

Last edited:
Reactions: aragorn

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
Yeah, but if you follow the conversation this was established already before. I don't know why we keep harping on it.

I’m “harping” on it because you keep ignoring it -oddly enough you keep telling me I “convienently ignore” you …. he wasn’t waived in a vacuum.

If you refuse to account for why he was waived then perhaps you end up at your position that he could have been had for free - unfortunately that’s not reality. It’s an alternative reality that exists in the minds of people who want Dorion painted as an idiot for paying a third.

Last edited:

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
I’m “harping” on it because you keep ignoring it -oddly enough you keep telling me I “convienently ignore” you …. he wasn’t waived in a vacuum.

If you refuse to account for why he was waived then perhaps you end up at your position that he could have been had for free - unfortunately that’s not reality. It’s an alternative reality that exists in the minds of people who want Dorion painted as an idiot for paying a third.

I did not ignore it. I thought we already established it with @icebucket:
Yip, I totally forgot that he was waived due to his vax status. Still don't see how that makes me a liar. Technically he could have been picked up for free.

So either you were born obtuse or doing it on purpose. Not sure which one is worse.

The trade value of a 3rd is a separate discussion from him being waived and not picked up. And yes, Dorion overpaid. That has been established already by me, which you keep ignoring.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
The trade value of a 3rd is a separate discussion from him being waived and not picked up. And yes, Dorion overpaid. That has been established already by me, which you keep ignoring.
Now now, technically it was established by Dorion when he told the world Van asked for a 4th but since we didn't have one we offered a 3rd and called it a day.

Overpaid for him or not, we've been getting good value out of him so far. Maybe we could have gotten him for less but I don't think I'd be significantly happier had we given up a 5th instead of a third,

Reactions: Bileur and aragorn

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Now now, technically it was established by Dorion when he told the world Van asked for a 4th but since we didn't have one we offered a 3rd and called it a day.

Overpaid for him or not, we've been getting good value out of him so far. Maybe we could have gotten him for less but I don't think I'd be significantly happier had we given up a 5th instead of a third,

Uh, even a 4th was too much for a bottom pairing D that Vancouver was happy to jettison. I mean the VAN GM was called a "wizard" by getting this deal. Also, let's say the ask was a 4th? Couldn't we give a 4th in next year's draft? It just doesn't add up. It was reported we were the only team interested, hence we were negotiating against ourselves. I'll give Dorion props when it's warranted (this offseason), but let's be real here.

Also, the price of a 3rd signifies to the world that Hamonic was acquired to be a top 4 presence. Which is a mistake. He's been a bottom-pairing D for a while now.

Micklebot

Apr 27, 2010
Uh, even a 4th was too much for a bottom pairing D that Vancouver was happy to jettison. I mean the VAN GM was called a "wizard" by getting this deal. Also, let's say the ask was a 4th? Couldn't we give a 4th in next year's draft? It just doesn't add up. It was reported we were the only team interested, hence we were negotiating against ourselves. I'll give Dorion props when it's warranted (this offseason), but let's be real here.

Also, the price of a 3rd signifies to the world that Hamonic was acquired to be a top 4 presence. Which is a mistake. He's been a bottom-pairing D for a while now.
I agree that we paid more than was likely needed, but in the end, he's providing better value than a bottom pair defender, he's been good for us, so I'm not stressed about it. Like I said, had we paid a 5th instead, it really wouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm less concerned when we overpay for someone useful,

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria

And yet he wasn’t a bottom pairing guy, more lies you make up to support your point.

He played with Hughes a lot and was a top 4 defender for the Canucks, which is why they were so pissed off when he was unavailable to play and they were losing games. That’s exactly why the relationship fell apart.

So now we have two lies you have peddled to try and support your point: 1) that he was so bad he was available for free earlier in the season, 2) he was available because he was a bottom pair defender on the Canucks.

Your hat seems to now rest on someone in the media calling their GM a wizard for getting rid of a guy that the team had turned on based in his vax status to start the season. Not exactly a solid position, but everyone is allowed their opinions.

Just to add some more context, the third we gave up was not ours, and was closer to our 4th round pick that we didn’t have to give up. PD didn’t care about the mid round pick, as he stated he wanted Hamonic in the team to assess for for the rest of the season to see if he could help our RD situation going into next season. And low and behold, he has been helpful, Sanderson’s partner no less (the kind of partner he and his dad wanted for him by the way) all for the small price of a 3rd round pick.

Here’s another of your lies by the way: a 3rd round pick in a trade does not in any way signify to the league that you are a top 4 RD. That is straight up bullshit. Did we see top 4 guys get traded for 3rd round picks this off season? Everyone and their dog knows that top 4 RD’s are amongst the most valuable positions right now.

By the way, you aren’t known at all to give praise where it’s due, nice try though.

Last edited:

SlapJack

Scum bag Sens
Dec 6, 2010

Top 4 D are easily acquired with 3rd round draft picks? Lol

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
And yet he wasn’t a bottom pairing guy, more lies you make up to support your point.

He played with Hughes a lot and was a top 4 defender for the Canucks, which is why they were so pissed off when he was unavailable to play and they were losing games. That’s exactly why the relationship fell apart.

So now we have two lies you have peddled to try and support your point: 1) that he was so bad he was available for free earlier in the season, 2) he was available because he was a bottom pair defender on the Canucks.

Nice try iceprick. But this is where you are telling a lie. Please post where I said either #1 or #2. It should be easy to check with my post history. But I'll save you some time. This is you filling in what you want to hear.

Here's another lie from you. Hamonic didn't play "a lot" in the top 4. He did play a bit, but was swiftly moved down the pecking order due to his deficiencies. He played with Hughes, but I wouldn't call it a lot. He was the fourth-highest partner of Hughes. Luke Schenn, Tucker Poolman, and Tyler Myers played more with Hughes than Hamonic did. Actually, they played significantly more:

643:31, 273:16, 213:46 vs. 122:49

The lowest guy (Myers) was almost double the amount as Hamonic.

Does it sound familiar? How Hamonic was brought in to play top 4, but couldn't cut it? You know who he played more with (128:39)? Brad Hunt. You say, who the fook is this guy? Right, he's in the AHL now since he's so good. Don't think those two played much top 4. So yeah, don't throw stones in glass houses and such.

Your hat seems to now rest on someone in the media calling their GM a wizard for getting rid of a guy that the team had turned on based in his vax status to start the season. Not exactly a solid position, but everyone is allowed their opinions.

No, wrong again. It wasn't just one guy. It was a number of media, NHL personalities, posters here, etc. shared the same view. So yeah. That's a lie from you. I can post again all the links again (which there are plenty), but I'm assuming you can go back and read it for yourself. The consensus was that this was a bad trade. But you don't follow consensus, right? You just live in your own world. That's very apparent.

Just to add some more context, the third we gave up was not ours, and was closer to our 4th round pick that we didn’t have to give up. PD didn’t care about the mid round pick, as he stated he wanted Hamonic in the team to assess for for the rest of the season to see if he could help our RD situation going into next season. And low and behold, he has been helpful, Sanderson’s partner no less (the kind of partner he and his dad wanted for him by the way) all for the small price of a 3rd round pick.

He should care about mid-round picks because the Senators draft picks are an important currency. I'd argue more so than other teams since we can't attract FA's and the only we build this team is through the draft, and using those picks wisely for trades. So the 3rd or 4th is important and should not be thrown away like candy. You are sold that he's been useful. I say it's too early to tell. He's had some good games, and some bad games. Let's see how it pans out. Hamonic has shown that over time he shows his deficiencies and has to be moved down the lineup. One good game with Sanderson is not proof it's been "worth it". So no, he has not been helpful just yet. Nice try.

Here’s another of your lies by the way: a 3rd round pick in a trade does not in any way signify to the league that you are a top 4 RD. That is straight up bullshit. Did we see top 4 guys get traded for 3rd round picks this off season? Everyone and their dog knows that top 4 RD’s are amongst the most valuable positions right now.

You're right. A 3rd doesn't signify that it's a top 4 D. But it also doesn't say that we acquired a bottom pairing D, which is what Hamonic is. We paid a premium for a bottom pairing D. I hope it works out and he can play top 4 minutes and help Sanderson. Unfortunately, recent history has shown us that Hamonic is not good enough for that. Actually, this is a classic Dorion move. Overpay for a bottom pairing D, and hope he can play in the top four. (See: Gudbranson)

By the way, you aren’t known at all to give praise where it’s due, nice try though.

Lol, that's the difference between you and me. I will give praise when it's warranted. You on the other hand will not say anything negative. Again you are living in your own world. You want examples? This is what I said about the DeBrincat trade, which I loved:

He's exactly what I was advocating for in January this year. We needed top 6 scoring, more specifically a sniper. I didn't think we'll get someone of his caliber, but he's been a perfect addition.

So now give me an example of a negative post from yourself. I bet you can't find one. You're just a bootlicker.

I agree that we paid more than was likely needed, but in the end, he's providing better value than a bottom pair defender, he's been good for us, so I'm not stressed about it. Like I said, had we paid a 5th instead, it really wouldn't make much of a difference.

I'm less concerned when we overpay for someone useful,

Fair enough. As I said, the book is not closed on Hamonic. I actually wanted him over Gudbranson and JBrown a couple of years ago. That's all I'm arguing though. That he was an overpayment. If he works out and plays effective top 4 D (which he hasn't yet consistently), then I'll be here first to say he was worth it. He's not there yet.

Reactions: Loach

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Nice try iceprick. But this is where you are telling a lie. Please post where I said either #1 or #2. It should be easy to check with my post history. But I'll save you some time. This is you filling in what you want to hear.

Here's another lie from you. Hamonic didn't play "a lot" in the top 4. He did play a bit, but was swiftly moved down the pecking order due to his deficiencies. He played with Hughes, but I wouldn't call it a lot. He was the fourth-highest partner of Hughes. Luke Schenn, Tucker Poolman, and Tyler Myers played more with Hughes than Hamonic did. Actually, they played significantly more:

643:31, 273:16, 213:46 vs. 122:49

The lowest guy (Myers) was almost double the amount as Hamonic.

Does it sound familiar? How Hamonic was brought in to play top 4, but couldn't cut it? You know who he played more with (128:39)? Brad Hunt. You say, who the fook is this guy? Right, he's in the AHL now since he's so good. Don't think those two played much top 4. So yeah, don't throw stones in glass houses and such.

No, wrong again. It wasn't just one guy. It was a number of media, NHL personalities, posters here, etc. shared the same view. So yeah. That's a lie from you. I can post again all the links again (which there are plenty), but I'm assuming you can go back and read it for yourself. The consensus was that this was a bad trade. But you don't follow consensus, right? You just live in your own world. That's very apparent.

He should care about mid-round picks because the Senators draft picks are an important currency. I'd argue more so than other teams since we can't attract FA's and the only we build this team is through the draft, and using those picks wisely for trades. So the 3rd or 4th is important and should not be thrown away like candy. You are sold that he's been useful. I say it's too early to tell. He's had some good games, and some bad games. Let's see how it pans out. Hamonic has shown that over time he shows his deficiencies and has to be moved down the lineup. One good game with Sanderson is not proof it's been "worth it". So no, he has not been helpful just yet. Nice try.

You're right. A 3rd doesn't signify that it's a top 4 D. But it also doesn't say that we acquired a bottom pairing D, which is what Hamonic is. We paid a premium for a bottom pairing D. I hope it works out and he can play top 4 minutes and help Sanderson. Unfortunately, recent history has shown us that Hamonic is not good enough for that. Actually, this is a classic Dorion move. Overpay for a bottom pairing D, and hope he can play in the top four. (See: Gudbranson)

Lol, that's the difference between you and me. I will give praise when it's warranted. You on the other hand will not say anything negative. Again you are living in your own world. You want examples? This is what I said about the DeBrincat trade, which I loved:

So now give me an example of a negative post from yourself. I bet you can't find one. You're just a bootlicker.

Fair enough. As I said, the book is not closed on Hamonic. I actually wanted him over Gudbranson and JBrown a couple of years ago. That's all I'm arguing though. That he was an overpayment. If he works out and plays effective top 4 D (which he hasn't yet consistently), then I'll be here first to say he was worth it. He's not there yet.
Your petty bullshit aside, I’d actually be interested to see how his minutes stack up over the two years, allowing for the many games he missed due to injury and leave of absences. It would be interesting to see if that had any effect on the minutes played and such. I’m pretty sure he was averaging between 18-19 minutes a game, could be wrong.

Maybe you’re right and he sucks and it was a waste of a 3rd.

Last edited:

JD1

Sep 12, 2005
Ice time is pretty easy to look up.

Hamonic played > 20 minutes a night in each of his seasons in Calgary.

Last season in Vancouver, they seemed to have a big 3 with 3 guys playing > 22 minutes. Hamonic was 4th in ice time. That doesn't strike me as bottom pair minutes

The season prior to that in Vancouver their ice time was flatter with only 4 minutes difference between 5th (Hamonic) and 1st (Hughes). Without having watched a ton of their games, it's not possible to make a call on how he was utilized. I'd guess though that Hughes had soft minutes and Hamonic hard minutes. You can call it bottom pair because he was 5th in ice time I suppose, but you'd really need to understand the utilization to assess whether he was utilized in a traditional bottom pair role. Ice time alone says he wasn't, because as it's traditionally thought of, bottom pair is typically 15 sheltered minutes

God Says No

Mar 16, 2012
Ice time is pretty easy to look up.

Hamonic played > 20 minutes a night in each of his seasons in Calgary.

Last season in Vancouver, they seemed to have a big 3 with 3 guys playing > 22 minutes. Hamonic was 4th in ice time. That doesn't strike me as bottom pair minutes

The season prior to that in Vancouver their ice time was flatter with only 4 minutes difference between 5th (Hamonic) and 1st (Hughes). Without having watched a ton of their games, it's not possible to make a call on how he was utilized. I'd guess though that Hughes had soft minutes and Hamonic hard minutes. You can call it bottom pair because he was 5th in ice time I suppose, but you'd really need to understand the utilization to assess whether he was utilized in a traditional bottom pair role. Ice time alone says he wasn't, because as it's traditionally thought of, bottom pair is typically 15 sheltered minutes

Yip, that's fair. But I already explained how Hamonic's story went in Vancouver above. It was eerily similar to how Gudbranson's story went in Ottawa. He was acquired to play top 4, with Hughes. After a couple games the coaching quickly realized he was not good enough for that role and pushed him down to the bottom pairing to play with Brad "AHL" Hunt. You can read it yourself here:

Hamonic, 31, had an uneven season with the Canucks. It started with his COVID-19 vaccination status, a long term lower-body injury and inability to play consistently in the top-four mix as Luke Schenn proved to be a better pairing with Quinn Hughes.

and here:
For the most part, the rugged defender was fine in a bottom-pairing role, but continued to struggle when he was elevated up the lineup.

Your petty bullshit aside, I’d actually be interested to see how his minutes stack up over the two years, allowing for the many games he missed due to injury and leave of absences. It would be interesting to see if that had any effect on the minutes played and such. I’m pretty sure he was averaging between 18-19 minutes a game, could be wrong.

Maybe you’re right and he sucks and it was a waste of a 3rd.

The bullshit is me proving you were the liar not me, and a weak attempt at creating a strawman.

Ice-Tray

Jan 31, 2006
Victoria
Yip, that's fair. But I already explained how Hamonic's story went in Vancouver above. It was eerily similar to how Gudbranson's story went in Ottawa. He was acquired to play top 4, with Hughes. After a couple games the coaching quickly realized he was not good enough for that role and pushed him down to the bottom pairing to play with Brad "AHL" Hunt. You can read it yourself here:

and here:

The bullshit is me proving you were the liar not me, and a weak attempt at creating a strawman.
Well, you made up a waiver situation, so we had to sort that out, and then you made up a valuation for top 4 D as a 3rd rounder, and again we had to sort that out. Now you’re using Canucks articles to prove an unwanted player in Vancouver…. Was unwanted.

My ‘strawman’ as you put it, was a gentle nudge for you to look at his ice time, and see how much Vancouver was playing him, even in a season where the team and city had turned on the guy. His ice time does not seem to indicate that he’s a crap bottom pairing player. That was my point, that once again you’re exaggerating to make your point.

And of course you once again lashed out bitterly.

His season in Vancouver, started by having his COVID vax issue, which resulted in the team and fans turning on him ( you yourself have insulted him for it) then a long injury, and then trade. He was still playing 18+ minutes a night for them regardless.

Your valuation of the trade should probably stick to how he’s been for us, and what RD defenders are actually being traded for in my opinion, but you don’t need to embellish to not like the trade or player, nor do you need to exaggerate the situation so that you can hammer management for the trade.

It’s not your opinion that’s the issue, it’s the crap and the insults you package it in that has drawn comments from people. Anyways, I think we’re done here, I know I am.

Last edited:

Sweatred

Erase me
Jan 28, 2019
In the end Dorion secured a veteran right D with limited term to improve the team defense and provide some stability to Sanderson. It only cost a third. Good deal.

OD99

Oct 13, 2012

You be better ?
Out of curiosity what is your highest level of coaching/evaluating?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad