Dreger: Hammer more likely to be moved then Seabrook

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Didn't Bobby Mc just debunk that?

Cap will increase by a little bit. Probably rather 2 % and not 5 % but it will give enough lee way to teams.

Especially after the Hawks already have a deal in place for Kruger with Vegas.

Really don't think Hjalmarsson will be moved unless they get good value out of it...

Im not sure if he debunked that or not

Noodletoro

Sponsor
Aug 23, 2003
Fort Worth, TX
Imagine Hammer on Dallas with Bishop in net, Honka joining Klinger and Hammer on the back end and Janmark back up front along with any signings/potentially a Nuke trade with Benn and Seguin?

Yeah - I think if you are Dallas you consider this (the pick for Hammer) long and hard. I'm not going to speak for Stars fans and say you have to pull the trigger but yikes...would Hjalmarsson not be a perfect fit on that blueline and along with Bishop inject some real potential into a team that maybe just had a flukey bad year with lots of injuries and no safety-valve on the blueline or in goal?

You aren't wrong but that doesn't mean the Stars have to give up #3 like some have mentioned here. They have #29 and prospects they could give up. Chicago is the one here in a bad position needing to lose salary.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
Sometimes you do need to take a step back and reload.

Hossa I don't think can be moved either with the risk of the cap recapture penalty.

Not advocating for a deal or anything but I can see the appeal in a player like Kapanen to Chicago. He can play LW/RW, is cost controlled and expansion draft exempt. It's the part where if anything else is asked on top of Hjalmarsson that I get uncomfortable with as a Leaf's fan.

His contract running out in 2 years also sucks because Marner and Matthews need deals then too. Hammer is also 30 years old right now...

I don't think it's a good move for the Leafs.

Dallas would be a nice landing spot.

It's not fun but you have to re-tool at some point.
Hawks are against cap year after year and keep losing talent.

Use the next few years gathering assets and go for run when Kane& Toews are 30y. They should still be players.
I don't see how their current style would lead to success in the next 2 years anyways.

Hjalmarsson would be a huge addition to Leafs, but like you mention it could create problems in 2 years time.
If Hawks could somehow trade Hjalmarsson to Dallas and pick Heiskanen it could be a quick re-tool.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
You aren't wrong but that doesn't mean the Stars have to give up #3 like some have mentioned here. They have #29 and prospects they could give up. Chicago is the one here in a bad position needing to lose salary.

That does not mean that they will just take a terrible deal like #29 + non-Honka prospects from the Stars for Hjalmarsson. Their situatuion is not that dire.

It will IMO absolutely take #3 and honestly they shouldn't deal him in the division for anything less.

Especially considering that he probably is THE missing piece for Dallas right now...

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
It's not fun but you have to re-tool at some point.
Hawks are against cap year after year and keep losing talent.

Use the next few years gathering assets and go for run when Kane& Toews are 30y. They should still be players.
I don't see how their current style would lead to success in the next 2 years anyways.

Hjalmarsson would be a huge addition to Leafs, but like you mention it could create problems in 2 years time.
If Hawks could somehow trade Hjalmarsson to Dallas and pick Heiskanen it could be a quick re-tool.

Agreed on all fronts, just don't think that Hjalmarsson makes sense for #3 overall.

Maybe you can do Lehner + ? for Hjalmarsson+Crawford

The "?" is the question mark, needs to be an appealing piece that Chicago would want but also that Buffalo is willing to move.

I am just going off the premise that Lehner is not Buffalo's man.

Mr Sakich

Mar 8, 2002
Motel 35
vimeo.com
There is a possibility​ that Seabrook isn't interested in being traded, so they may not have a choice in moving Hjalmarsson

Seabrook has a full NMC for the first 5 years of the contract. In order to get that, you have to give something up (term or dollars). He has already paid in full for the right to say no to a trade.

He is on the moral high ground if he tells Bowman he will not accept a trade.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
If they want to trade a core player with value it's Hjalmarsson. They could create a bidding war for him.

Seabrook/Hossa are more pure cap saving moves.
Chicago could use a re-tool. I said it yesterday but you can't be a contender for 15y straight and both Toews& Kane are still u30.

Trading Hossa is a huge risk with that recapture penalty, and I can't see a team touching that Seabrook deal without a decent chunk retained.

Trade Hammer. Try to move out Kruger and Anisimov for decent deals. It's a blow for the Hawks, but it will help.

That clears up about $11 million in cap space. If you can get pretty good young players with those moves, you can save $5 or $6 million and prepare for another round of runs in 2 or 3 years. How competitive the Hawks remain will be the real question.

GoldiFox

Apr 21, 2014
Would like to see the Canes add Hammer.

Slavin - Hammer as shutdown pair. Might as well start printing milk cartons with superstar forwards' faces on them.

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
Seabrook has a full NMC for the first 5 years of the contract. In order to get that, you have to give something up (term or dollars). He has already paid in full for the right to say no to a trade.

He is on the moral high ground if he tells Bowman he will not accept a trade.
I wasn't suggesting Seabrook shouldn't invoke his NMC, so I'm not sure what the point of your post is.

WesMcCauley

Apr 24, 2015
We will see. I don't think it will happen but that is the value I think he has.

People are overrating the value of #3 or undervaluing Hammer who IMO is easily the second best D of the Hawks and on a great contract. And if Keith slows down a bit he would move up to #1 for me. . I say that as a fan of the team with pick #4.

This draft is not that good.

Hammer is a top pairing guy on the Stars easily and could be a nice complement to Klingberg.

And you get a :facepalm: for that second comment.

2 years to UFA really does not matter to a team like Dallas. At all.

Hfboards is ridiculous. Everything less than 3 years and guys are basically already rentals and only worth late 1sts + B prospects.

I bet a team like Dallas doesn't give a damn about term in the case of a player of the caliber of Hammer. 2 years is an eternity in the NHL and if you are willing to pay up, players never leave anyways. Especially if they are already playing on a good team.

The only thing that might make them hesitate is indeed his age. But I am not sure there are so many better options out there for #3 so if they really want to win now (and with Spezza aging and Bishop in the fold it looks like they want to) , I could see Nill pulling the trigger.

Ofc it does. Hjalmarsson is 30, two years left on his contract. Signing him to a new contract with a higher salary as a 32 year old makes little sense unless you want a Girardi, Seabrook type contract on your hand. Unless he declines badly(which will make it a horrible trade for Dallas) he will get paid alot on his new contract for what he has done in the past. As a 32 year old , thats not good for the team signing him.

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
That does not mean that they will just take a terrible deal like #29 + non-Honka prospects from the Stars for Hjalmarsson. Their situatuion is not that dire.

It will IMO absolutely take #3 and honestly they shouldn't deal him in the division for anything less.

Especially considering that he probably is THE missing piece for Dallas right now...

Their situation absolutely is that dire. Their core is on the decline and they have a ton of big contracts. A 30 year old who's good but not incredible with only two years to UFA is worth nothing close to a 3rd overall.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Ofc it does. Hjalmarsson is 30, two years left on his contract. Signing him to a new contract with a higher salary as a 32 year old makes little sense unless you want a Girardi, Seabrook type contract on your hand.

Dallas makes sense but not for 3rd overall.

Benn is turning 28 in July, and they just got Bishop. They are in "win now" mode.

Maurice of Orange

Wahatquenak
Feb 5, 2016
Would like to have Hjalmarsson on the Flyers for the lst 2 years of his current deal, but Hextall wouldnt want part with any decent assets to get Hjalmarsson. Other teams would have better offers on the table.

Aceboogie

Aug 25, 2012
I don't understand. Why they want to trade a D-man ?

They dont want to, they have to. They are over the cap already

Seabrook has a NMC and likely literally no value league wide, especially due to the expansion draft, Hammer has good value

Ugly, ugly times in Chicago

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad