Dreger: Hammer more likely to be moved then Seabrook

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/nhl-trade-season-arrived/

I'm a bit surprised...I guess Seabrook's contract has proven to be unmovable?

Prefer not to hear about "Dreger is a hack etc etc"

Let's go with the premise. Hammer is out there, he's 30 years old now at a decent cap hit. What is his value?

#3 overall seems to be the most likely spot IMO given the fact that they can't take on a big salary in return.

Only problem would be that it is in division and does not help win now but from a fit and value perspective, that should be around what he could fetch IMO.

Hawks could always try to flip #3 elsewhere for something they really need if they don't want to wait...

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
Well, if Chicago is smart we will find out soon. I doubt they go the path the Bruins did with Boychuk in a similar (although not as serious) situation and waiting until the end of the offseason only to get bent over a barrel.

I know Hammer plays both sides, and probably his offside more often, but is he significantly better as a RD?

WheresRamziAbid

Oct 31, 2013
https://www.fanragsports.com/nhl/nhl-trade-season-arrived/

I'm a bit surprised...I guess Seabrook's contract has proven to be unmovable?

Prefer not to hear about "Dreger is a hack etc etc"

Let's go with the premise. Hammer is out there, he's 30 years old now at a decent cap hit. What is his value?

A lot like the Bickell/Saad thing a couple years back.

One is the guy you want to move but contract is in the way, so you trade the younger and better player for a much better return and go from there.

wintersej

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 26, 2011
North Andover, MA
#3 overall seems to be the most likely spot IMO.

Only problem would be that it is in division and does not help win now but from a fit and value perspective, that should be around what he could fetch IMO.

Hawks could always try to flip #3 elsewhere for something they really need...

Um no. A 30 year old D with 2 years to UFA is not worth #3OA. Like, bot even close.

Charlie Conway

Oxford Comma
Nov 2, 2013
Yeah, I don't see the Hawks snagging #3OA.

I see a good prospect and a 2nd. Teams know they're in a tough position.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
Um no. A 30 year old D with 2 years to UFA is not worth #3OA. Like, bot even close.

Especially when its something Hawks HAVE to do.. Teams know that the Hawks are hooped for salary cap so offers wont be overly impressive

They wont get anything near that high of pick

Benstheman

Nov 20, 2014
Mega deal between Habs and Hawks

Pacioretty + Galchenyuk + Beaulieu

for

Panarin + Hammer+ Kruger

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011

We will see. I don't think it will happen but that is the value I think he has.

People are overrating the value of #3 or undervaluing Hammer who IMO is easily the second best D of the Hawks and on a great contract. And if Keith slows down a bit he would move up to #1 for me. . I say that as a fan of the team with pick #4.

This draft is not that good.

Hammer is a top pairing guy on the Stars easily and could be a nice complement to Klingberg.

And you get a :facepalm: for that second comment.

2 years to UFA really does not matter to a team like Dallas. At all.

Hfboards is ridiculous. Everything less than 3 years and guys are basically already rentals and only worth late 1sts + B prospects.

I bet a team like Dallas doesn't give a damn about term in the case of a player of the caliber of Hammer. 2 years is an eternity in the NHL and if you are willing to pay up, players never leave anyways. Especially if they are already playing on a good team.

The only thing that might make them hesitate is indeed his age. But I am not sure there are so many better options out there for #3 so if they really want to win now (and with Spezza aging and Bishop in the fold it looks like they want to) , I could see Nill pulling the trigger.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
Seabrook is who I'd trade if I'm Chicago. Trading hammer is the last thing I'd do if I were them.

I've had the same opinion because Hjalmarsson has a good contract for the next 2 years but Seabrooks much longer contact is scaring teams off, and rightfully so.

Skinnyjimmy08

WorldTraveler
Mar 30, 2012
I cant wait to see teams in full panic mode now that cap isnt increasing. Gonna be alot of weird trades

Sota Popinski

Registered Boozer
Sponsor
Apr 26, 2017
Minneapolis
I think he goes to Dallas for Honka/Faksa or Gurianov/Johns. Something along those lines. One cheap NHL ready young guy, and one good prospect.

Stephen

Feb 28, 2002
The Hawks seem to favor taking out the cheapest contract on the totem pole every time they need to alleviate their cap pressures, but sooner or later, you'd think they'd get more relief moving one of the bigger contracts and starting a bit of a youth movement while there's still time.

BB88

Jan 19, 2015
If they want to trade a core player with value it's Hjalmarsson. They could create a bidding war for him.

Seabrook/Hossa are more pure cap saving moves.
Chicago could use a re-tool. I said it yesterday but you can't be a contender for 15y straight and both Toews& Kane are still u30.

Foppa

Future Norris Winner
Feb 27, 2002
Kansas City, USA
Imagine Hammer on Dallas with Bishop in net, Honka joining Klinger and Hammer on the back end and Janmark back up front along with any signings/potentially a Nuke trade with Benn and Seguin?

Yeah - I think if you are Dallas you consider this (the pick for Hammer) long and hard. I'm not going to speak for Stars fans and say you have to pull the trigger but yikes...would Hjalmarsson not be a perfect fit on that blueline and along with Bishop inject some real potential into a team that maybe just had a flukey bad year with lots of injuries and no safety-valve on the blueline or in goal?

LeafGm

Jan 10, 2009
StanBo would be a moron to trade Hjalmarsson.
I hope StanBo is not a moron.
What other choice does he have?

The Hawks are currently over the cap, and need to clear space just to be cap compliant by the start of the season. Dumping Kruger, if they manage to do it, is a start, but that doesn't even get them under the cap.

After that, your only big-ticket players without full NMC protection this summer are Hjalmarsson, Crawford & Panarin.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
If they want to trade a core player with value it's Hjalmarsson.

Seabrook/Hossa are more pure cap saving moves.
Chicago could use a re-tool. I said it yesterday but you can't be a contender for 15y straight and both Toews& Kane are still u30.

Sometimes you do need to take a step back and reload.

Hossa I don't think can be moved either with the risk of the cap recapture penalty.

Not advocating for a deal or anything but I can see the appeal in a player like Kapanen to Chicago. He can play LW/RW, is cost controlled and expansion draft exempt. It's the part where if anything else is asked on top of Hjalmarsson that I get uncomfortable with as a Leaf's fan.

His contract running out in 2 years also sucks because Marner and Matthews need deals then too. Hammer is also 30 years old right now...

I don't think it's a good move for the Leafs.

Dallas would be a nice landing spot.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
I cant wait to see teams in full panic mode now that cap isnt increasing. Gonna be alot of weird trades

Didn't Bobby Mc just debunk that?

Cap will increase by a little bit. Probably rather 2 % and not 5 % but it will give enough lee way to teams.

Especially after the Hawks already have a deal in place for Kruger with Vegas.

Really don't think Hjalmarsson will be moved unless they get good value out of it...

Lunatik

Oct 12, 2012
There is a possibility​ that Seabrook isn't interested in being traded, so they may not have a choice in moving Hjalmarsson

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad