Confirmed with Link: Hamilton going to a red team (The F1 Thread)

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
So.... from what I understand going into this season....

1 - Red Bull is still dominant.
2 - Ferrari is probably 2nd fastest, but could challenge.
3 - Sounds like Merc and Aston Martin could be battling for 3rd.
4 - McLaren is a hot f***ing mess and could be anywhere from 4th to last.

Reactions: DaveG

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Alpine also apparently had shit testing, but expectation is they were kinda sandbagging.
Also Haas could be a factor this year since Mick won't be wrecking a car every other weekend which should help the spending cap.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Lance Stroll WDC incoming

f2llfrkvjtka1.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: Bub and DaveG

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I've missed the McLaren news. Pardon me while I go play catch up...

Okay, so after doing my homework it does look like McLaren will be well in back at least for the start of the season. But I think that Buxton, et al (from the graphic in a previous post), who have them behind Williams ffs are seriously deluded.

And if Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo, and Haas have taken steps up, then we could be in for a treat watching the midfield this season.

Reactions: Novacane

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
Okay, so after doing my homework it does look like McLaren will be well in back at least for the start of the season. But I think that Buxton, et al (from the graphic in a previous post), who have them behind Williams ffs are seriously deluded.

And if Aston Martin, Alfa Romeo, and Haas have taken steps up, then we could be in for a treat watching the midfield this season.
I watched most of the testing and had a few takeaways about them. McLaren never seemed to do any representative fast laps (unlike some of the top teams) which put them at the bottom of the timing charts every day. Also, they had several instances of the same problem (flimsy front wheel “brow”) that took time away from Norris being behind the wheel. I never got a rundown on their long run race pace, but I assume it didn’t impress people. Those factors along with their mediocre pace last year, change in team principal, and their struggles in testing last year has people really down on them. Like you said, I’d be surprised if they’re worse than Haas or Williams but I think they may be projecting out struggles for Piastri too

I don’t buy into Aston Martin being better than Mercedes yet, but I’d be thrilled to have a new team up front. A bridge between the top teams and midfield would make things really interesting strategy wise

Last edited:

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
I watched most of the testing and had a few takeaways about them. McLaren never seemed to do any representative fast laps (unlike some of the top teams) which put them at the bottom of the timing charts every day. Also, they had several instances of the same problem (flimsy front wheel “brow”) that took time away from Norris being behind the wheel. I never got a rundown on their long run race pace, but I assume it didn’t impress people. Those factors along with their mediocre pace last year, change in team principal, and their struggles in testing last year has people really down on them. Like you said, I’d be surprised if they’re worse than Haas or Williams but I think they may be projecting out struggles for Piastri too

I don’t buy into Aston Martin being better than Mercedes yet, but I’d be thrilled to have a new team up front. A bridge between the top teams and midfield would make things really interesting strategy wise

Yeah, Mercedes has to be a serious 2b behind Ferrari. I won't believe they'll be challenged until I see it on the track. And re McLaren: sure, they could be terrible to start the year, but I just don't see them being "bottom of the pack" level during the full season.

I agree with you: seeing some serious competition for the 3 through 5 team slots would be a lot of fun for the viewer, especially if that translates to "on the track" competition, rather than merely "who has the best pit crew."

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
It's race weekend. I usually don't really watch practice, just qualifying and the race. I'm enjoying P2 now and hoping to see how the teams are looking. Won't really know until tomorrow.

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
I think we can say Aston Martin is for real after that first qualifying session. Red Bull may be even stronger than last season as Red Bull was a lot better during the races than qualifying last year. Mercedes wasn’t as strong as I had expected and Haas was pretty surprising

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
The racing between Alonso and Hamilton today has been great

Ocon had an all time great penalty show

Pooor pooor Leclerc

Red Bull definitely seems like they have a bigger gap this year. Scary.

McLaren is shockingly bad for real

Aston Martin is good for real

Williams was surprisingly strong

Last edited:

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
I had high hopes for McLaren a few years ago but I think they are absolute hot garbage from the inside out. Seidel leaving shouldn't have screwed them this hard, they're just awful. It's bad enough the car is an aerodynamic tractor out there but with constant mechanical failures from the start today, it's a shameful display.

I wouldn't be surprised if Lando demands to be released from his contract by the end of the season. He deserves better than this mess.

Reactions: zman77 and DaveG

Novacane

Jan 25, 2012
Raleigh, NC
McLaren getting outdragged by a Williams today.... big oof

Outside of the reliability issues, Red Bull making this look clinical

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
If Red Bull can work out their drivechain/shaft/whatever issues, they'll take the season by, what, July?

Mercedes looks pretty decent considering Toto's "we're all doomed" letter from a few weeks ago.

Glad to see Ferrari continue to be the circus clown show. (See: Leclerc's convo with his race engineer. "You should have told me that earlier!")

Love to see teams like Aston Martin moving into the second tier. Can they keep it up?

McLaren...just...wow. I know they'll figure something out soon, right? Right? Either that or they'll be in the "will they score a point?" conversation.

McLaren getting outdragged by a Williams today.... big oof

Outside of the reliability issues, Red Bull making this look clinical

Jacques Villeneuve was probably driving the last time that happened.

SvechneJerk

Christ is King
Jul 15, 2018
NC
If Red Bull can work out their drivechain/shaft/whatever issues, they'll take the season by, what, July?

Mercedes looks pretty decent considering Toto's "we're all doomed" letter from a few weeks ago.

Glad to see Ferrari continue to be the circus clown show. (See: Leclerc's convo with his race engineer. "You should have told me that earlier!")

Love to see teams like Aston Martin moving into the second tier. Can they keep it up?

McLaren...just...wow. I know they'll figure something out soon, right? Right? Either that or they'll be in the "will they score a point?" conversation.

Jacques Villeneuve was probably driving the last time that happened.

I like that Aston is showing strong, so far. I have a friend that's a pilot for the team, so I'm always trying to score merch. :laugh:

Reactions: DaveG and Bub

Deon Thompson

Feb 27, 2022
Y'all reckon any of the newly minted F1 fans might also consider NASCAR once they realize the racing is more competitive and the human element is way more important? The cultural stigma and light-years-behind production are pretty big stumbling blocks though.

Last edited:

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Y'all reckon any of the newly minted F1 fans might also consider NASCAR once they realize the racing is more competitive and the human element is way more important? The cultural stigma and light-years-behind production are pretty big stumbling blocks though.
maybe, but the stage racing thing's gotta go. I have seen some increased interest in IndyCar, can't say I'd mind seeing the WEC and IMSA pick up in popularity either.

Francis10

Jan 28, 2012
Canada
Lance Stroll has to wake up. He’s wasting a unreal car from Aston Martin. AM is my team and Lance is my boy, but he’s not good this year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad