Confirmed with Link: Hamilton going to a red team (The F1 Thread)

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I believe every tv profile I've ever seen of a Finnish driver is basically just men sitting around in a sauna, then jumping naked into a lake. (Rosberg, Hakkinen, Salo, Bottas. "Missed out" on Kovalainen and Raikkonen tho.)
Crazy, but that's how it goes.

kVPQmi5.jpg

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Ricky Bobby breaks his wrist, where have I seen that before? /s

hmmm 2.5 months off he might still make Vegas. But yeah he's out for a while either way.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Why have full wet tires if you're going to safety car or red flag any situation where those tires would need to be used

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Why have full wet tires if you're going to safety car or red flag any situation where those tires would need to be used

Agreed. Unless they thought vision would be too impaired, or the whole nation was about to flood, they could have kept going.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017
Carlando getting the 1-2 has had me in all kinds of happy today. I wish Sainz was still with McLaren, but you can't say no when Ferrari comes calling, and to see him dragging Lando along to keep him protected from both Mercs?

Chefs kiss, wonderful weekend

Reactions: DaveG

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Interesting take from Steiner, he's right in a lot of ways but he's also quite wrong. I would very much not say that every team is competitive right now unless he'd consider "well they have a shot at points on such and such tracks 3-4 times a year but the rest of the year they'll be back of the pack" as competitive. The chasm between the bottom 4 and Renault, by far the weakest of the top 6, speaks for itself. Now, would F1 let a new team come in that is starting off as a 100% customer team the way Haas did when they came in anymore? no probably not, hence F1 telling Andretti to wait for GM to have their stuff together for 28 before they'd reconsider.

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Interesting take from Steiner, he's right in a lot of ways but he's also quite wrong. I would very much not say that every team is competitive right now unless he'd consider "well they have a shot at points on such and such tracks 3-4 times a year but the rest of the year they'll be back of the pack" as competitive. The chasm between the bottom 4 and Renault, by far the weakest of the top 6, speaks for itself. Now, would F1 let a new team come in that is starting off as a 100% customer team the way Haas did when they came in anymore? no probably not, hence F1 telling Andretti to wait for GM to have their stuff together for 28 before they'd reconsider.

Agreed re: Steiner. Most races, those bottom teams are already consigned to finishing at the bottom, barring a lot of retirements. (And there are way fewer retirements than there were when I first started watching in the 90s, ftr.) And aren't some (all?) of those bottom teams helped out by providing a lot of driver development programming for bigger teams?

US fans are understandably pissed by the decision, but if F1 doesn't think you're bringing in the money they believe they deserve, they're not letting you in, period, no matter what your name is.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Agreed re: Steiner. Most races, those bottom teams are already consigned to finishing at the bottom, barring a lot of retirements. (And there are way fewer retirements than there were when I first started watching in the 90s, ftr.) And aren't some (all?) of those bottom teams helped out by providing a lot of driver development programming for bigger teams?

US fans are understandably pissed by the decision, but if F1 doesn't think you're bringing in the money they believe they deserve, they're not letting you in, period, no matter what your name is.
Sauber and whatever the Red Bull B team is calling itself now, absolutely. But I didn't think either Williams or Haas was getting much.

Reactions: Bub

Bub

I like griping
Jul 5, 2006
Maine
Sauber and whatever the Red Bull B team is calling itself now, absolutely. But I didn't think either Williams or Haas was getting much.

Do you mean the Visa Cash App team? Holy hell what a ridiculous name, even for F1!

Yeah I forgot about Haas. Maybe other teams are paying them to keep Kevin "Front Wing Destroyer" Magnussen, and Hulkenberg looked decent last year but is probably considered washed-up in an F1 world that is hungrier for young talent than DiCaprio is.

Svechhammer

THIS is hockey?
Jun 8, 2017

Unsurprising. Also, this take from Gunther Steiner:

FFS Gunther, HAAS has never cared about competing, they exist to be a cash flow for the owners, nothing more. They don't even pretend, their facilities are a complete joke and it's insulting you have this opinion after leading that very uncompetitive team for a while.

I mean hell, Alpha Tauri exists to be a feeder team for Red Bull. By design they don't try to win, so cut the bullshit. This is about locking the teams to 10 because you don't want to share the wealth, and you certainly don't want to share the wealth with an American team. You want our money, you don't want us.

Reactions: Bub and DaveG

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $5,720.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 2