Hall vs Marchand vs Benn vs Giroux

Hall vs Marchand vs Benn vs Giroux

• Total voters

BruinLVGA

CZ Shadow 2 Compact coming my way!
Dec 15, 2013
Switzerland
A vote as to who is better isnt a vote for who is more offensive, which you said Marchand is better at than Hall. Which simply isn’t true.

Hall has more points in less games - he is the better offensive player who has worse linemates. Its fine really, Marchand can still be the better player without being better offensively.

77 points in 67 games... 75 points in 57 games... Guess who's who. And which one is better of these two performances?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
A vote as to who is better isnt a vote for who is more offensive, which you said Marchand is better at than Hall. Which simply isn’t true.

Hall has more points in less games - he is the better offensive player who has worse linemates. Its fine really, Marchand can still be the better player without being better offensively.

And where is Marchand’s 26 game point streak?

Who cares about career stats when Marchand has scored at a better pace for 2 seasons and the same pace 3 seasons ago?

Sure he has better linemates, but the gap the past two years is massive. And even before that Marchand, like Hall, was always a high end 5v5 producer. He just didn't always get the minuted and rarely got PP time until recently.

And point streaks are not much more than trivia answers.

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
Yes, he was.

Whats your point exactly, he is almost at 1k games?

The point, as in the actual detailed post I put above, is that career stats are a terrible way to judge the current ability of players, as Spezza is nowhere near either of these two currently yet has the better career PPG. Marchand has blown Hall away in PPG the past two seasons and was tied 3 seasons ago. So why does what happened before that matter enough to call Hall better currently?

The last 3 seasons combined:

Marchand: 219 P in 213GP, 1.03 PPG, 84 PT pace
Hall: 195 P in 225 GP, 0.88 PPG, 72 PT pace

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The point, as in the actual detailed post I put above, is that career stats are a terrible way to judge the current ability of players, as Spezza is nowhere near either of these two currently yet has the better career PPG. Marchand has blown Hall away in PPG the past two seasons and was tied 3 seasons ago. So why does what happened before that matter enough to call Hall better currently?
...what on Earth?

You can compare Marchand and Hall because they are separated by ~70 games

Spezza is near ~1k games

Is this really that difficult to understand? Hall has done better offensively in less games by a considerable PPG difference - he is the better offensive player with lesser teammates. Its a fact - Im not arguing who is the better player or who is better now or then , in total Hall is the better offensive play

Reactions: Kcb12345

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Marchand is not better than Hall offensively... it isnt even close.

Hall was putting up 80 points with nobody while Marchand was a 4th liner and even now Hall is close in points while Marchand plays with Bergeron and Pastrnak

Marchand at 22 clearly isn't the same Marchand of the last 3 years.

Marchand had 85pts last season and has 75 in 57 this season while being very responsible defensively.

Hall had 53 points last season (32 point difference) and is still behind with 77 in 67 this season.

Hell even going back another year prior before Marchand truly broke out Hall only had 65 to Marchands 61 (and less goals).

There's absolutely no basis for you saying Hall is way better offensively, unless you consider the guy who broke out first the better offensive player?

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
458 in 520 Hall, .88 ppg
447 in 590 Marchand, .75ppg

What dont you get about that, Hall is the better offensive player...

Who do you rank as the better offensive player lately? Jaromir Jagr or Taylor Hall? I mean Jagrs PPG is 1.11 after all...

Comparing stats from 2010 really has absolutely no barring on who's a better offensive player in 2018 when one player took a huge jump later in his career.

But you're right, 6 years ago Hall was definitely better. It's the small victories, right?

Regal

Mar 12, 2010
Vancouver
...what on Earth?

You can compare Marchand and Hall because they are separated by ~70 games

Spezza is near ~1k games

Is this really that difficult to understand? Hall has done better offensively in less games by a considerable PPG difference - he is the better offensive player with lesser teammates. Its a fact - Im not arguing who is the better player or who is better now or then , in total Hall is the better offensive play

What does games played matter in a comparison of current ability? Players progress and decline differently which is why career stats are a terrible way to judge players. Spezza is simply an extreme example, but even looking at similar games played shows this is a terrible measure of current ability. We could then say that Toews is currently better offensively than Blake Wheeler, when It's pretty clearly not the case. We're not comparing careers here. Hall was an NHL ready 1st overall pick who was given ample ice time from the start of his career, and was better offensively at that time. The last three years though, Marchand has been more productive. So at which point does the recent past outweigh the start of their careers?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Marchand at 22 clearly isn't the same Marchand of the last 3 years.

Marchand had 85pts last season and has 75 in 57 this season while being very responsible defensively.

Hall had 53 points last season (32 point difference) and is still behind with 77 in 67 this season.

Hell even going back another year prior before Marchand truly broke out Hall only had 65 to Marchands 61 (and less goals).

There's absolutely no basis for you saying Hall is way better offensively, unless you consider the guy who broke out first the better offensive player?
So youre allowed to say Marchand bloomed late, okay

Hall’s quality of teams and teammates have been worse than Marchands for 100% of their careers. Marchand has built insane chemistry with Bergeron and Pastrnak, but yet we can ignore having the most chemistry with a 19 year old rookie with only 50+ games together.

I dont care if Marchand broke out late thats his own damn fault. His teams and linemates have been better for quite some time.

Hall is the better offensive player

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
So youre allowed to say Marchand bloomed late, okay

Hall’s quality of teams and teammates have been worse than Marchands for 100% of their careers. Marchand has built insane chemistry with Bergeron and Pastrnak, but yet we can ignore having the most chemistry with a 19 year old rookie with only 50+ games together.

I dont care if Marchand broke out late thats his own damn fault. His teams and linemates have been better for quite some time.

Hall is the better offensive player

The last 3 seasons he hasn't really been all that close to Marchand. Theres a reason one was tye 2nd best player for team Canada and the other didn't make the team. So like I said, sure Hall was better in 2012, congrats?

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
The last 3 seasons he hasn't really been all that close to Marchand. Theres a reason one was tye 2nd best player for team Canada and the other didn't make the team. So like I said, sure Hall was better in 2012, congrats?
3 years doesnt make a career

.88 vs .75 is drastic and thats with hall on worse teams

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
3 years doesnt make a career

.88 vs .75 is drastic and thats with hall on worse teams

It's ok to admit that Marchand has been the better offensive player the past three years ( because he has ). It doesn't take anything away from Hall, who's back to playing at an elite level after having a couple of ok but not great seasons.

Reactions: Ladyfan

PB37

Mr Selke
Oct 1, 2002
Maine
Oh so it asked for best this season? Best last three seasons?

I didnt realize you made the rules on your own for the OP to use

It asked for the best player out of the 4, not the best offensively...yet, here we are.

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It's ok to admit that Marchand has been the better offensive player the past three years ( because he has ). It doesn't take anything away from Hall, who's back to playing at an elite level after having a couple of ok but not great seasons.
Im not arguing who has been better the past three seasons. Is the reading comprehension in the Polls board really this bad?

A poster stated Marchand was the better offensive player and that isnt true. Hall has better numbers and in less games.

Marchand being better in the last three seasons doesn’t make him better at offense than Hall - otherwise I guess Marchand is better than Joe Thornton with that logic, right? I mean Marchand has been better the last three seasons so it must be true

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
It asked for the best player out of the 4, not the best offensively...yet, here we are.
Maybe try following a conversation before making a snarky response. A poster I quoted said Marchand was better offensively

Pay attention for once

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
Im not arguing who has been better the past three seasons. Is the reading comprehension in the Polls board really this bad?

A poster stated Marchand was the better offensive player and that isnt true. Hall has better numbers and in less games.

Marchand being better in the last three seasons doesn’t make him better at offense than Hall - otherwise I guess Marchand is better than Joe Thornton with that logic, right? I mean Marchand has been better the last three seasons so it must be true

In a relevant time frame, yes Marchand has been a better offensive player than Thornton. If we're wondering who was better 6 years ago it's a different story.

I'll ask again, who's the better player, Jagr or Hall? I mean, look at Jagr's career numbers!!

Reactions: wabagee

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
In a relevant time frame, yes Marchand has been a better offensive player than Thornton. If we're wondering who was better 6 years ago it's a different story.

I'll ask again, who's the better player, Jagr or Hall? I mean, look at Jagr's career numbers!!
“I'll ask again, who's the better player, Jagr or Hall? I mean, look at Jagr's career numbers!!“

Im baffled by how you think supporting my claim is making me look bad.

Jagr is the better player so yeah good job. Yet recently Hall has played better, but everyone and their mother knows who the better player is.

Thanks for that - next time think through your post before hitting enter

nbwingsfan

Dec 13, 2009
“I'll ask again, who's the better player, Jagr or Hall? I mean, look at Jagr's career numbers!!“

Im baffled by how you think supporting my claim is making me look bad.

Jagr is the better player so yeah good job. Yet recently Hall has played better, but everyone and their mother knows who the better player is.

Thanks for that - next time think through your post before hitting enter

So you really think that this poll is asking who's had the better career since their rookie season? You really think Marchand would be leading the poll if that were the case? Again, it's not asking who was the best in 2012 :laugh:

Common sense seems to be lacking these days...

Reactions: wabagee

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
Continue thinking Marchand is the better offensive guy. Hall's .88 career ppg will continue carrying the Devils by himself.

Note to self: only the last three seasons count

Hischier and Hughes

“I love to hockey”
Jan 28, 2018
So you really think that this poll is asking who's had the better career since their rookie season? You really think Marchand would be leading the poll if that were the case? Again, it's not asking who was the best in 2012 :laugh:

Common sense seems to be lacking these days...
English 101:

'Best of the 4'

Where in that sentence does it say we are discussing only recent play and not their careers? Ill wait.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad