Hall of Fame players in the current NHL

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I won't even consider anyone who has played less than 5 years in the league, because they have not proven themselves. Crosby and Ovechkin have, and they are both HHOF-bound, but for discussion's sake, let's exclude them. Only players who played in the league prior to the lockout, because that is a decent enough sample size to at least talk about their chances at the HHOF.

Mortal Locks:
Chris Pronger
Nicklas Lidstrom
Joe Thornton
Teemu Selanne
Mike Modano
Mark Recchi
Martin Brodeur (Oops)

Okay, aside from those 6, there are no obvious locks. I think Jarome Iginla is the closest to that group. He will definitely make the HHOF with 2-3 more good years.

Datsyuk?
Zetterberg?
St. Louis?
Alfredsson?
Hossa?
Kovalchuk?
Heatley?

Last edited:

marty 4 hart*

You forgot Marty. Is Thornton really a lock? Wont his reputation as a choker keep him out?

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
Here's a recent thread on guys over 30 who may or may not be HHOF-bound:

http://hfboards.com/showthread.php?t=836527

You're forgetting Chara, who I think is close to a lock by now, but maybe not quite there yet. I'm still not sure if Recchi is a "mortal lock," but he's very likely.

I wouldn't consider Recchi a lock based on his actual career. He was never an impact player, at least not after 1991. But his numbers are going to overwhelm voters.

Infinite Vision*

I think Recchi should be in even though I value prime far more than overall career. He is the prime definition of longevity, work ethic and consistency among the modern era. There's also something to be said of a guy who can remain productive and still be an impact player well into his 40's. Other than Lidstrom and Selanne who are each 40, I can't think of another player 38 or older as good as Recchi, and Recchi's 43.

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I'd say if they win another Cup where they are both major contributors Datsyuk and Zetterberg will have a very good shot at getting in.

(Not saying they can't get in if this doesn't happen)

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
I think Iginla is in if he retires today. I haven't checked, but I highly doubt there is anyone with his resume that is not in the Hall.

I would like to see 2-3 more productive years from Alfredsson. If he does that I think he has a good chance, being the captain and face of a Canadian franchise for so long.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
Don't forget Crosby, Ovechkin, Malkin and Stamkos.. oh and Doughty.

Wait is this the generational player of the month thread?

:sarcasm:

Blades of Glory

Troll Captain
Feb 12, 2006
California
I'd say if they win another Cup where they are both major contributors Datsyuk and Zetterberg will have a very good shot at getting in.

(Not saying they can't get in if this doesn't happen)

I don't even think they need a Cup. If they continue to play at their current level, I don't see any way you can keep them out. Zetterberg is a playoff monster, both offensively and defensively.

lazerbullet

May 22, 2009
Europe
I think that guys like Hossa and Heatley are very far away. No awards, no impressive playoff stats. Hossa has one Cup and two Finals. But let's be honest, it's not like he carried those teams that far.

Kovalchuk is also a big no. He needs to make the playoffs for a change and then we can look further.

And what puts Iginla above Zetterberg and Datsyuk? All three should get in. Datsyuk should get into Hall of Fame based on his youtube clips alone.:naughty:

Alfredsson might have a good shot. No major awards, but he is the best player and captain for Canadian team. Well-liked by everybody. Plus, he is one of the strongest two-way wingers in the 00s.

St Loius must get in. Has some hardware, a Cup, strong playoffs, other strong regular seasons, good two-way game, classy guy. Only thing that hurts him is not being drafted. And this is a really stupid reason not to induct people. So he started a career a bit later. So what? Most of the drafted future superstars were not setting the world on fire in the first coulple of seasons also.

BraveCanadian

Jun 30, 2010
St Loius must get in. Has some hardware, a Cup, strong playoffs, other strong regular seasons, good two-way game, classy guy. Only thing that hurts him is not being drafted. And this is a really stupid reason not to induct people. So he started a career a bit later. So what? Most of the drafted future superstars were not setting the world on fire in the first coulple of seasons also.

I think he is gonna make it.. especially with how he is maintaining his play into his mid 30s now.

kingdok

Jun 8, 2004
The question is: Will Jose Theodore be the only Hart trophy winner not going in the Hall of Fame?

Also, Iginla should get in I think. Chara has a shot too.

Epsilon

#basta
Oct 26, 2002
South Cackalacky
The question is: Will Jose Theodore be the only Hart trophy winner not going in the Hall of Fame?

Also, Iginla should get in I think. Chara has a shot too.

Lindros has a good shot to not make it.

It's too early to tell with Henrik Sedin (he's definitely trending upwards right now), and Martin St. Louis could go either way depending on how his career winds down.

Hardyvan123

tweet@HardyintheWack
Jul 4, 2010
Vancouver
I think that guys like Hossa and Heatley are very far away. No awards, no impressive playoff stats. Hossa has one Cup and two Finals. But let's be honest, it's not like he carried those teams that far.

Kovalchuk is also a big no. He needs to make the playoffs for a change and then we can look further.

And what puts Iginla above Zetterberg and Datsyuk? All three should get in. Datsyuk should get into Hall of Fame based on his youtube clips alone.:naughty:

Alfredsson might have a good shot. No major awards, but he is the best player and captain for Canadian team. Well-liked by everybody. Plus, he is one of the strongest two-way wingers in the 00s.

Heatley has played for Canada a ton and has been top 10 in goals in 6 of his 9 seasons. He hasn't been a bum in the playoffs either. He is on track to make it in.

Kovo has the numbers to be on a similar track as well.

Hossa is more iffy but his international play like the 2 previous players will help his resume IMO.

lazerbullet

May 22, 2009
Europe
Heatley has played for Canada a ton and has been top 10 in goals in 6 of his 9 seasons. He hasn't been a bum in the playoffs either. He is on track to make it in.

Kovo has the numbers to be on a similar track as well.

Hossa is more iffy but his international play like the 2 previous players will help his resume IMO.

Well... you are right that Heatley has actually good numbers in the playoffs. I remember him totally disappearing against the Ducks. So might have been harsh. Well... Heatley might make it, but he still needs a Cup. Plus, his off-ice problems might keep him out for some time.

Oh... as far as I know "they" don't put much weight into international numbers, especially if we are talking about Worlds.

Infinite Vision*

Well... you are right that Heatley has actually good numbers in the playoffs. I remember him totally disappearing against the Ducks. So might have been harsh. Well... Heatley might make it, but he still needs a Cup. Plus, his off-ice problems might keep him out for some time.

Oh... as far as I know "they" don't put much weight into international numbers, especially if we are talking about Worlds.

Neely didn't have a cup. Heatley has a longer and better resume both in the regular season and in the playoffs than Neely. Better goalscorer prime and career as well.

BamBamCam*

Neely didn't have a cup. Heatley has a longer and better resume both in the regular season and in the playoffs than Neely. Better goalscorer prime and career as well.

To me it goes back to what Neely did as opposed to his final numbers. He defined a position and scored 50 in 44 games. Those are big accomplishments where as I don't really know how Heatly has impacted the game like Neely did but put goals in like a lot of players before him did too. GMs go to the draft looking for a "Cam Neely type of player" and actually use that exact phrase, they don't go to the draft looking for a " Danny Heatly type of player."

Throw in Heatly's off the ice incident and Heatly will never make it.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn

Neely
4 Times 2nd Team All Star RW
5 All Star Games
395 goals, 694 points in 726 games

57 goals, 89 points in 93 playoff games.
2 trips to the finals as the best forward on his team (losing to the dynasty Oilers both times)
1 extra trip to the Conference finals, with 16 goals in 19 games, approaching the record for goals in a single playoff year until Ulf Samuelsson's cheap shot

Lasting legacy - defining the modern power forward position

Heatley
1 Time 1st Team All Star RW
1 Time 2nd Team All Star LW
3 All Star games
307 goals, 645 points in 609 games

12 goals, 48 points in 48 playoff games
1 trip to the final as the 2nd best forward on his team

Lasting legacy - pissing off multiple NHL franchises

Listen, I'm not the biggest Neely fan around here, but just how does Heatley have a better resume than Neely? They are close in regular season offense, but Neely blows Heatley away in everything else.

Derick*

I'm not saying Heatley has a better resume but you said "everything else." Heatley has a higher playoff PPG in a lower scoring era.

TheDevilMadeMe

Aug 28, 2006
Brooklyn
I'm not saying Heatley has a better resume but you said "everything else." Heatley has a higher playoff PPG in a lower scoring era.

Neely has a much higher playoff goals-per-game. He was undoubtedly the better offensive player in the playoffs.

For a goal scorer, Heatley's goal totals in the playoffs are pretty pathetic. He got a lot of assists playing on the PIZZA line in Ottawa. You watched him in San Jose last year. Were his 2 goals and 11 assists considered a good performance or a disappointment?

Hawkey Town 18

Jun 29, 2009
Chicago, IL
Neely has a much higher playoff goals-per-game. He was undoubtedly the better offensive player in the playoffs.

For a goal scorer, Heatley's goal totals in the playoffs are pretty pathetic. He got a lot of assists playing on the PIZZA line in Ottawa. You watched him in San Jose last year. Were his 2 goals and 11 assists considered a good performance or a disappointment?

Neely was definitely better in the post season than Heatley, he was a goal scoring machine

Derick*

Disappointment. Frankly I consider him one of the most overrated players in the league. Along with Marleau and Nabokov. Needless to say, I have a lot of enemies among my own team's fans :laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad