OT: Half season rankings Defensemen

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
I trust Karlsson. If he knows he's specifically out there to protect the lead and not produce offense, he'll get it done. no problem

Like against Montreal when he took an unneeded risk in the offensive zone that led to their tying goal and the eventual loss?

WhiteLight*

Like against Montreal when he took an unneeded risk in the offensive zone that led to their tying goal and the eventual loss?

So you don't trust Karlsson on the ice ANY time the Sens have the lead? Interesting.

9 min left on that goal, I don't mind if he takes a very minor ''risk'' like that one if you can even call it that. Plekanec was Cowen's man and Cowen just plain screwed up. Karlsson was a little deep but had his man covered. No issue with that with 9 min left.

Interesting that you think Karlsson shouldn't play unless the Sens are tied or losing.

I understood ''protecting the lead'' as in a few min left in the game.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
So you don't trust Karlsson on the ice ANY time the Sens have the lead? Interesting.

9 min left on that goal, I don't mind if he takes a very minor ''risk'' like that one if you can even call it that. Plekanec was Cowen's man and Cowen just plain screwed up. Karlsson was a little deep but had his man covered. No issue with that with 9 min left.

Interesting that you think Karlsson shouldn't play unless the Sens are tied or losing.

I understood ''protecting the lead'' as in a few min left in the game.

It's about being smart with the puck for the full 60 minutes. If he's going to handle it as much as he does, he's going to have to learn to protect the lead throughout the game, especially with 10 to go.

WhiteLight*

It's about being smart with the puck for the full 60 minutes. If he's going to handle it as much as he does, he's going to have to learn to protect the lead throughout the game, especially with 10 to go.

He didn't screw up with the puck there, Cowen did

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Methot
Ceci
Gryba
Karlson
Everyone else......

Methot never makes me scream at my tv.......

Ceci has been excellent better even then Methot but based on sample size cant place him above METH

Gryba Love him or hate him hes actually not Pejorative Slured in his own end and plays a solid physical game...I like him more then most.... probably because hes earning it.

Karlson.....tho I almost feel lke he doesnt disserve it because so many times he basicly hands the opponent goals... but when we need the puck out of our zone quickly hes the best man for the job also has one of the most active sticks in the league.....

WhiteLight*

He screwed up by giving it to Cowen in the first place as it was risky based on our positioning in the zone (not to mention that Cowen can barely handle it at the best of times).

It's split second decisions out there. You can't expect him to process ''oh crap, I wanted to make that pass there but It's Cowen he screws up a lot so I better not'', then make the decision.

WhiteLight*

Methot. Most balanced defender on the team in his own end. Can play positional, can take the body, good against the cycle and rush offence, and is competent on the breakout.

Been inconsistent, had many bad games and not on the same level as last year. Mediocre on the penalty at best. I prefer Ceci. Ceci is flawless for the most part. really amazing

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax
Been inconsistent, had many bad games and not on the same level as last year. Mediocre on the penalty at best. I prefer Ceci. Ceci is flawless for the most part. really amazing

You really mean to tell me with a minute left on the clock with the game on the lineon a faceoff in your end if you have to pick between Karlson and Methot you pick Karlson?........Thank god your not the coach... I preffer ceci over karlson....

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
It's split second decisions out there. You can't expect him to process ''oh crap, I wanted to make that pass there but It's Cowen he screws up a lot so I better not'', then make the decision.

Well when I have time to yell 'please don't pass it to Cowen' at the TV before he does, then he had plenty of time to choose another option.

He has elite vision, but right now he's only using it to see offensive plays, rather than offensive plays of the opposition. As a defender he needs to be able to read both.

WhiteLight*

You really mean to tell me with a minute left on the clock with the game on the lineon a faceoff in your end if you have to pick between Karlson and Methot you pick Karlson?........Thank god your not the coach...

LOL

PM picks Karlsson to go out in the last minute all the time. Thank god he's not the coach. Oh wait

:laugh:

WhiteLight*

Well when I have time to yell 'please don't pass it to Cowen' at the TV before he does, then he had plenty of time to choose another option.

He has elite vision, but right now he's only using it to see offensive plays, rather than offensive plays of the opposition. As a defender he needs to be able to read both.

I agree to an extent on some plays, but in that particular moment I think it's unreasonable to expect him to ''know'' that Cowen would screw up. His pass wasn't risky and got to destination quite safely.

ReginKarlssonLehner

Let's Win It All
May 3, 2010
Dubai Marina

Lmao, what?

Hahaha, oh man. I've seen it all.

Hey Erik, don't you dare pass it to your partner who was open cause God knows if he makes a stupid play with the puck then forgets to pick up his man... it's your fault!

Or, hey Erik, it's 4on4 OT. Don't try to make a move and get pinned cause God knows if Cowen gets dangled and Anderson lets in a horrific goal... it's your fault!

83DIZ65

Sep 8, 2011
halifax

Agreed Karlson is an excellent defensive player but thats because of his skill set... and right now hes reacting not reading and when you react its because somethings already happened....in most cases something bad. When he starts reading defensive plays as well as he does offensive plays again he will be back at the top of everyones list. He won the norris for a reason he'll get back there...but he isn't right now mandy.

WhiteLight*

no hed have methot and ceci out there.

Mac loves his vets. I doubt he'd handle rookie Ceci like that when he has a Norris winner.

Karlsson elevates his game when he plays against the best. I think he's made for the big stage and the big moments, he's that kind of player. He'd be out there

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Lmao, what?

Hahaha, oh man. I've seen it all.

Hey Erik, don't you dare pass it to your partner who was open cause God knows if he makes a stupid play with the puck then forgets to pick up his man... it's your fault!

Or, hey Erik, it's 4on4 OT. Don't try to make a move and get pinned cause God knows if Cowen gets dangled and Anderson lets in a horrific goal... it's your fault!

For the tie goal our forward positioning was poor and they were all covered by Montreal. He should have read that and put the puck in a safe place rather than send it to the point.

I have no problem with the OT turn over as the rest of the team should have had proper coverage, which they did for the most part, Anderson just let in a softie.

WhiteLight*

For the tie goal our forward positioning was poor and they were all covered by Montreal. He should have read that and put the puck in a safe place rather than send it to the point.

I have no problem with the OT turn over as the rest of the team should have had proper coverage, which they did for the most part, Anderson just let in a softie.

Cowen easily could have put that on net, but he flubbed it. the forwards being ''all covered'' has nothing to do with Cowen screwing up

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
Cowen easily could have put that on net, but he flubbed it. the forwards being ''all covered'' has nothing to do with Cowen screwing up

Well I have no faith in Cowen's puck handling abilities nor in his ability to recognized a covered forward when he sees one (as shown by the countless stretch passes to covered forwards earlier in the year).

So I figured Cowen would either turnover the puck at the blueline or try to pass to one of the covered forwards.

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
I have no doubt that he would. He ain't throwing Gryba out there man

Gryba faces the highest QoC at home where PM can control the match-ups.

8.png

Huston

Sep 23, 2006
London
Methot has been solid.

I'd place Ceci up there as well.

Gryba is not bad for a bottom pairing, but I still yell at him quite a bit.

The rest just look like a mess, with Phillips losing it more and more every year.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad