OT: Half season rankings Defensemen

Vesa Awesaka

#KeepTheSenate
Jul 4, 2013
Based on defensive play who has been our best defensemen this year 10 games played minimum. Accidentally screwed up the title a little. Just select our best defensive defensemen so far this season.

WhiteLight*

Ceci
Karlsson
Methot
Wiercioch
Gryba
Cowen
Phillips
Corvo

:help:

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada
1 choice possible? Poll failed

Only defensive play?

Methot
Ceci
Cowen
Gryba
Borowiecki
Phillips
Wiercioch
Karlsson
Corvo

lol at Karlsson at the top of the list, shows how biased this fanbase is

Overall, Karlsson is still our best D-man because his transitioning game and offense is still elite. He'll be back with better 2-way play next year

I'd build my defense around

Karlsson
Ceci
Cowen
Methot
Wiercioch
Borowiecki

And possibly a better stop gap (than Phillips, Corvo, Gryba) while those guys develop :

Claesson
Wikstrand
Harpur

Last edited:

Icelevel

During these difficult times...
Sep 9, 2009
i asked myself who would i want out there in the dying seconds, protecting a lead?

marc methot

(tough to find another)

WhiteLight*

lol at Karlsson at the top of the list, shows how biased this fanbase is

Overall, Karlsson is still our best D-man because his transitioning game and offense is still elite. He'll be back with better 2-way play next year

Karlsson plays a lot more minutes than anyone else, and against other teams best players. Because of this, yeah in total he'll probably have more defensive gaffs than others. Karlsson makes a ton of great defensive plays that you apparently don't notice. I don't think you'll find a single other poster rank him as low as you do. The fact that he gets so many minutes against top competition proves you're wrong.

Xspyrit

DJ Dorion
Jun 29, 2008
Montreal, Canada

Karlsson plays a lot more minutes than anyone else, and against other teams best players. Because of this, yeah in total he'll probably have more defensive gaffs than others. Karlsson makes a ton of great defensive plays that you apparently don't notice. I don't think you'll find a single other poster rank him as low as you do. The fact that he gets so many minutes against top competition proves you're wrong.

Of course, I don't know as much about hockey as you do, just following it the hardcore way for 22 years... and all the experts, commentators, analysts and ex NHL players as well...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....DALL&sort=teamGoalsAgainst&viewName=plusMinus

Look who's here too at the top of that list, your stud Jeff Petry

:sarcasm:

And don't come back with PK stats, EK doesn't PK much

57 GA at ES. In comparison since you're going to bring ice-time, Ryan Suter has been on the ice for 34 GA at ES, that's 40% less

To me, you're still the guy who was claiming that Methot was nothing more than a 6th/7th Dman on a lottery team.

Also, don't even try to say that I am a biased Karlsson hater, I have the biggest EK hockey card collection in the world worth a ******** of money.

So what's your next argument? Watch the games? YOU ARE THE ONE saying that? lolz

EK is just having a terrible season defensively but let's not recognize that

In the end, Karlsson, Spezza and Anderson aren't anywhere near they need to be if we were going to be a contender. If they were as good as 2 years ago + Ryan/Turris/Mac and the depth of this team, things would go very well.

Last edited:

WhiteLight*

Of course, I don't know as much about hockey as you do... and all the experts, commentators, analysts and ex NHL players as well...

http://www.nhl.com/ice/playerstats....DALL&sort=teamGoalsAgainst&viewName=plusMinus

Terrific job. Regarding ''Karlsson plays a lot more minutes than anyone else, and against other teams best players'', did you

1-just ignore it
2-have below grade 1 reading comprehension
3-not at all comprehend how it affects your precious stat

I'm leaning towards #3

Caje

Mar 18, 2010
Of course, I don't know as much about hockey as you do... and all the experts, commentators, analysts and ex NHL players as well...

:sarcasm:

And don't come back with PK stats, EK doesn't PK much

57 GA at ES. In comparison since you're going to bring ice-time, Ryan Suter has been on the ice for 34 GA at ES, that's 40% less

To me, you're still the guy who was claiming that Methot was nothing more than a 6th/7th Dman on a lottery team.

GA is a terrible way to evaluate defencemen because it completely ignores icetime, goaltending and QoC. Suter plays in front of much better goaltending than Karlsson does.

WhiteLight*

I demand proof of this. Good luck on your witch hunt

GA is a terrible way to evaluate defencemen because it completely ignores icetime, goaltending and QoC. Suter plays in front of much better goaltending than Karlsson does.

This

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
transitioning means going from defense to offense. it hasn't looked good for EK at defense many times, but that alone + no outstanding performance by our other D means I'll pick EK.

so often I'm glad that EK is back there so the puck gets out, instead of having the puck get stuck in our zone.

WhiteLight*

Lol Xspyrit if you're gonna use stats, at least do it right and in a more complete manner. What you're doing is like saying a girl is ugly by just looking at her feet. Very narrow scope

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes

Where did you get this stat?

Karlsson has 45 GA at ES or 2.94 GA per 60.
Weber has 41 GA at ES or 2.80 GA per 60.

I dont think that means anything. Team stat.

WhiteLight*

Where did you get this stat?

Karlsson has 45 GA at ES or 2.94 GA per 60.
Weber has 41 GA at ES or 2.80 GA per 60.

I dont think that means anything. Team stat.

Clearly this means we should rank them

Phillips
Wiercioch
Weber
Karlsson
Corvo

for defensive play

HavlatMach9

streamable 3rah1
Mar 17, 2011
Ottawa
xspyrit is employing similar tactics to those that use them to bash our other players, which is to say you should be ok with his analysis if you are ok when attacking our other players, i.e., be consistent if you're going to say xspyrit is wrong

I value transitioning a ton for defensive play so I pick him high. Also really comfortable with Methot even if he hasn't been as good as last year.

WhiteLight*

xspyrit is employing similar tactics to those that use them to bash our other players, which is to say you should be ok with his analysis if you are ok when attacking our other players, i.e., be consistent if you're going to say xspyrit is wrong

actually not. Gryba has really good GA stats for some reason (probably luck) and I think he is brutal

Caje

Mar 18, 2010

Anyone who uses GA to evaluate a player's defensive abilities is wrong, regardless of the player.

Very Stable Genius

#WeLostOurKarlssons
Jan 3, 2005
Chicago
To be perfectly honest, I don't trust any of our defensemen when protecting a lead other than maybe Methot/Ceci. That is how poor a season it has been for the D-core.

WhiteLight*

To be perfectly honest, I don't trust any of our defensemen when protecting a lead other than maybe Methot/Ceci. That is how poor a season it has been for the D-core.

I trust Karlsson. If he knows he's specifically out there to protect the lead and not produce offense, he'll get it done. no problem

Benjamin

Differently Financed
Jun 14, 2010
yes
I dont trust the defensive system. Its so bad for coverage. Makes all the players look dumb defensively.

Step

It's been a tough year...
Nov 9, 2007
Ottawa
Best breakout and point play:
Karlsson

Best Passer:
Karlsson

Best positional defenceman:
Methot

Best physical defenceman (for better or worse):
Cowen

aragorn

Do The Right Thing
Aug 8, 2004
I would say that Karlsson & Corvo are the two worst defensive defencemen on the team this yr. Methot, Gryba, Phillips & Boroweicki in his short time here have played better defensively but still have a long way to go, much room for improvement. Methot & Ceci seem to be the best two way defencemen on this team followed by Wiercioch.

FireMelnyk

Jun 3, 2006
I picked Ceci because he can actually move the puck out of the zone with both passing and skating as well as contain the big forwards along the boards. He also has the second highest +/- for D on the team while playing with Phillips of all people.

I feel more confident with him in our end than the rest of our D which is pretty sad considering he's a rookie.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad