Confirmed with Link: Hainsey (50% retained) to PIT for a 2nd & Danny Kristo

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
I loved Kristo for Team USA, but he's never had his cup of coffee at age 26, so that signifies this solely as a deal for Charlotte.

Unless...Stempniak is getting dealt? His numbers in the AHL have been pretty ok, so maybe Ronnie wants to try him out at RW for the remainder of the season, or a replacement is needed for a Checker intended to be called up.

My guess is Kristo sees the rest of this year in Charlotte, period. If we bring up a right wing it almost surely will be Zykov, who has been playing well and getting progressively better throughout the season. I
don't think Ronnie would bring in a new guy and put him on the NHL squad without at least attempting to reward the guy who's played well within the system (and is anticipated to be a middle six NHLer anyway).

Oh, I thought he only needed 35. How many does he need? If he plays in every game from here on out he'll have 37.

You need either 40 games this season or 70 over the last two seasons. Murphy played 32 NHL games last season and 11 this season. With only 26 games remaining, he cannot qualify on either count.

3 2nds, definitely need to take a G with one of those, or try to package a few and trade up in to the late first and take a run at someone like Suzuki.

I'm still not necessarily down with taking the goalie with our 2nd rounder, especially since I think a couple of solid options will be there in the 3rd round. Two USHL products, Keith Petruzzelli and Dayton Rasmussen are both very interesting options. Petruzzelli is pretty huge, plays for Muskegon now, and will be with Quinnipiac next season. Rasmussen is more interesting to me. He's not quite as big (6'2" vs. 6'5") and split time between Tri-City and the Chicago Steel in the USHL. He's off to a pretty good Univ. of Denver program. There's been some chatter about how Rasmussen is good but still hasn't tapped into all of his ability.

What's interesting is that there will also be a couple of pretty solid defenders around in the 2nd round. Hsydn Fleury's little brother Cale, Luke Martin, and Tommy Miller should all be there. All are RHD's with a bit of size. Martin plays for Univ. of MI now and Miller is heading off to Michigan St. Fluery is putting up solid numbers for a bad Kootenay team. In fact, he's the leading blueline scorer.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
You need either 40 games this season or 70 over the last two seasons. Murphy played 32 NHL games last season and 11 this season. With only 26 games remaining, he cannot qualify on either count.

Are you sure you aren't looking at his AHL games played when you say 32? I see 35 NHL games for Murphy last year and thus if he does play 24 more this season then he will qualify

NotOpie

"Puck don't lie"
Jun 12, 2006
North Carolina
Are you sure you aren't looking at his AHL games played when you say 32? I see 35 NHL games for Murphy last year and thus if he does play 24 more this season then he will qualify

You're right, my bad. So if he plays all but one of the remaining games then he's our draft eligible defender....or if Tennyson get's 8 more games and is re-signed he qualifies....so lot's of options.

EDIT:...and of course, if we want to complete the tank, we'll just throw Murph out there the remainder of the season.

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
JR strikes again. Thank god hes not doing this to us anymore.
Meh, good move by Rutherford. Cup contender grabs a vet D for a late 2nd in a weak draft and a nothing prospect. I wish we had a team good enough to make moves like this,

Boom Boom Apathy

Sep 6, 2006
You're right, my bad. So if he plays all but one of the remaining games then he's our draft eligible defender....or if Tennyson get's 8 more games and is re-signed he qualifies....so lot's of options

Your math is still off by 1. Canes have 26 games left and Murphy needs 24 to qualify. Doesn't change your point though.

Last edited:

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Kristo is somewhat like the Rico Fata of this generation, but I would love to see what his speed could do for him in the NHL if he ever got that opportunity. I really hope he gets a shot. He's been a good soldier in the AHL for a long time and it would be nice to see if any of that ability could translate. It's not like we don't have room to take on a project.

As for the return, it's a good one. I'm not jazzed about the 2017 draft on the whole, but if you get fifty swings at the pinata you're probably going to hit on something. There's a reason these picks are flying around.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
God I remember loving Kristo sooooooo much in his draft year. The guy could skate, he had hands, everything. Just... never put it all together in the pros after dominating the NCAA level. Doesn't help that he went to 3 of the worst teams he could go to for that in Montreal, St Louis, and Pittsburgh since all 3 are loaded with forward depth.

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
Weren't there Pens fans on the main board saying Kristo is just coming back to open up a contract spot?

Also, same draft class as Boychuck.

sheriff bart

Where are the white women at
Nov 11, 2010
Rock Ridge
Canes add Kit Fisto. Having a Jedi Master has to help.

databank_kitfisto_01_169_21517d01.jpeg

Vagrant

The Czech Condor
Feb 27, 2002
North Carolina
Visit site
Weren't there Pens fans on the main board saying Kristo is just coming back to open up a contract spot?

There were for sure. I don't know, though. At worst, Kristo is a capable hand for Charlotte. I think his inclusion in the deal was intentional. I don't know if Ron wants to play him in Raleigh or not, but I would like to see it. He's the anti-Rattie.

Finlandia WOAT

js7.4x8fnmcf5070124
May 23, 2010
He clearly had no future in Pittsburgh, whether or not he ends up being succesful in Carolina. Which i doubt.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
Worst case, it gives the Canes a chance to look at a guy to be one of the minor league vets that pretty much every team signs every year like Ryan, Holstrom, Hensick, Aucoin, Palushaj, etc. If the two sides like the fit, who knows? Might save a little leg work on that front this offseason.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA

From Pittsburgh's POV, yes. He's still better than most 'contract spot' guys, which tends to be a code term for 'barely good enough for the ECHL.'

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad