Confirmed with Link: Hainsey (50% retained) to PIT for a 2nd & Danny Kristo

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Or they play Murphy for the rest of the season so he plays enough games for the expansion draft requirement on D.

That's also plausible, but I doubt they play him on his off-side.

Edit: There aren't enough games left in the season for him to qualify.

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013

it's certainly not as if Dahlbeck or Tennyson have claimed the 3rd pair RHD spot by merit of their play, so maybe Murphy is in there for the duration of this season at least...

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
it's certainly not as if Dahlbeck or Tennyson have claimed the 3rd pair RHD spot by merit of their play, so maybe Murphy is in there for the duration of this season at least...

In that situation it wouldn't preclude them from taking a look at Carrick or Fluery.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006

Oh, I thought he only needed 35. How many does he need? If he plays in every game from here on out he'll have 37.

Ole Gil

May 9, 2009
A pick in the 50's feels about right for Hainsey. Tough to convert those into anything meaningful, but you never know.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011

Pretty sure he's only 24 away and there are 26 games left. 40 in a year or 70 over two I thought it was? Think he's 24 away from that.

Joe McGrath

Oct 29, 2009
Oh, I thought he only needed 35. How many does he need? If he plays in every game from here on out he'll have 37.

I thought the cut off was 75 games, apparently it's 70. You are correct, and I hope they do exactly that.

Maybe just play the hell out of him and see if he can manufacture something meaningful where you can move him for a bag of pucks post draft.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
We could also always trade Murphy still. Perhaps for a guy like Pateryn that appears on the way out and closer to being a guy that can be exposed. And most importantly, he isn't Murphy.

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I thought the cut off was 75 games, apparently it's 70. You are correct, and I hope they do exactly that.

Maybe just play the hell out of him and see if he can manufacture something meaningful where you can move him for a bag of pucks post draft.

And hope he doesn't get hurt before 24 games.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Bring here Fleury! Not a fan of Carrick.

My guess is that Fleury only gets a cup of coffee with the club. He is too important to the Checkers chances to make the playoffs and them making the playoffs would be HUGE for the development of our prospects, including Fleury.

A Star is Burns

Formerly Azor Aho
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2011
And hope he doesn't get hurt before 24 games.

That's my main fear as well, and why I'd still look to move him. Too thin a margin. Even if it's for an asset that won't help us in protection, I'd be happier trying to slightly overpay Dahlbeck to be the #7 next year than potentially be stuck with Murphy next year.

Edit: I suppose that works for Tennyson too who is also closer.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
(3) 2nds & (2) 3rds for this years draft. Canes could be in really good shape to make some moves this offseason. With smart asset management Ron Francis has a really good opportunity to make the team significantly better going into next season.

- Possible top 5 pick. Weak draft, but still a good chance to get an impact forward drafting that high up.

- Possibly trade Hanifin for a 1st line forward?

- Use some of the extra 2nds & 3rds to capitalize on an expansion draft causality or two. (I think we have the opportunity to find us a goalie and a Ron Hainsey upgrade, though they may cost more than a 2nd + 3rd)

or

- Pull off another Teuvo + Bicks trade by prying on a team up against the cap

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
3 2nds, definitely need to take a G with one of those, or try to package a few and trade up in to the late first and take a run at someone like Suzuki.

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Best of luck to The Ronster in Pittsburgh. Happy to see him finally taste playoff hockey, sucks it was never with us.

Hopefully we can get something out of this second round pick.

Jun 21, 2016
Latvia
Good guy, not so good player.

We have had many good players from 2nd round and later lately, so it`s a good return in my eyes for him!

Burgs

Sep 10, 2005
Awesome, good for him. Any info on Kristo?

He's a fast right winger who never amounted to anything because he lacks brains. Kristo topped 20 goals in his three previous AHL seasons but has only 6 goals and 5 assists in 40 games this season. The Blues traded him to the Pens back in November, he was seen as a good fit for our speed game, so Rutherford/Botterill took a flyer on him. But Kristo didn't find chemistry with anyone on WBS so he hasn't produced much. Either some unrevealed injury has been bothering him all season long, or he's just done and three months away from signing overseas.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
latest

Is this the guy?

Carolinas Identity*

I'm a bad troll...
Jun 18, 2011
Calgary, AB
Have fun in the Playoffs Hand grenade :)

Stempniak and McClemment are now the only two players on this team older than I am, and both are by less than two months. I am old :'(

RodTheBawd

Oct 16, 2013
It's odd that I keep saying good things about Hainsey when from a personal standpoint, he comes across like a smug ******* that I couldn't stand.

He's a fast right winger who never amounted to anything because he lacks brains. Kristo topped 20 goals in his three previous AHL seasons but has only 6 goals and 5 assists in 40 games this season. The Blues traded him to the Pens back in November, he was seen as a good fit for our speed game, so Rutherford/Botterill took a flyer on him. But Kristo didn't find chemistry with anyone on WBS so he hasn't produced much. Either some unrevealed injury has been bothering him all season long, or he's just done and three months away from signing overseas.

Appreciate the info. Figured anything attached to a 2nd for Hainsey wasn't going to be much.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad