Confirmed with Link: Hags re-signed 4 years @ $2.75m

Employee427

Jan 6, 2019
AAV is solid and term isnt that big of a problem, had he signed a deal with NMC or NTC, it would be way different. This way Caps have 30(31) teams to potentially trade him to and can possibly move him with a bit of a retention even if he doesnt look good since he has a lot of PO experience and 2 Cups (potentially more), so even if he goes downhill they can market him as experienced PO player and "proven winner" and 1 GM is deffinitely going to bite. Unless he completely falls of a cliff it should be a good deal for Caps and potential problems in year 3/4 should be manageable.

Reactions: StrikingDistance

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
Don't mind this at all. The dude is a puck hog and has wheels galore. Plus, I have a large folder of Spicoli gifs I need to reuse next season.

I think once he settles in with a line and develops some chemistry, it will start producing. Have to think being on 3 teams last year and being switched to different lines lowered his productivity.

Also, hard pass on Mojo. Although it would give us something to complain about on here once Burky is gone. haha

capsdom86

May 28, 2015
I think he's clearly a good fit in the locker room. Like this signing and think BMac may have some surprises up his sleave.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I guess if you squint hard enough you might be able to find a similarity or two other than they both signed in Washington? Mostly this is an apples to oranges comparison.

Niskanen was signed at 27 to play 1 or 2RD minutes at a position where the organization had no depth. The blueline had been a mess for a decade and had cost them multiple chances at advancing past the second round. He was coming off a career year in Pittsburgh and was one of the highly coveted UFAs.

Hagelin will play bottom 6 minutes and plays a position you normally can slot to organizational depth (they won the Cup with Stephenson playing Hagelin's role). He's 30. The team is hard pressed against the cap and will likely lose one or two guys who can put the puck in the net because of this signing at a time where they're trying to squeeze one or two more Cup runs in.

You say lose, I say the GM who rounded this team into a Cup winner might be choosing to move on from those guys....

Reactions: calicapsfan

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002
I have tons of trust in GMBM but I'm just concerned there's a vacuum of scoring forming, especially if they lose both Burakovsky and Connolly.

Connolly doesn’t worry me one bit. He’s playing over his head in a ideal situation IMO.

Burt, I’m hoping we can work something out.

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I have tons of trust in GMBM but I'm just concerned there's a vacuum of scoring forming, especially if they lose both Burakovsky and Connolly.
I share this concern. It certainly looks like they're going to lose at least one depth scorer, if not both, and the quality of replacement is yet to be seen.
This is a team that has only had one 30-goal scorer other than Ovechkin over the past nine years, and that player (Oshie) is coming off an injury in the playoffs and a different injury the season before. Ovechkin is a truly special asset, but they need other players capable of putting the puck in the net beyond just him. Hopefully Vrana continues to develop as a scoring threat. Wilson is likely due for regression in his shooting% (but hopefully that balances out with him playing a full season *fingers crossed*). Backstrom and Kuzy can pot 20+ on good years, but both of them are playmakers first and goal scorers second. Too much of Kuzy's goal scoring came on the powerplay this year, as well. Not that PP scoring is bad, but he needed to put more pucks in the net at even strength. The third line is bereft of goal scorers as it stands currently, and the 4th line is a complete mystery.

Ultimately, Kuzy having a rebound season (or not) may be more important to the teams' secondary scoring than anything else, but they definitely need to find a way to integrate more scoring into the bottom six than it currently looks like they will have.

Reactions: AlexBrovechkin8

Calicaps

NFA
Aug 3, 2006
Almost Canada
Lots of premature hand-wringing going on in this thread. The offseason is what, a week old, and already GMBM has made 2 impact moves. No reason to think he won't continue to refine and improve the roster until training camp. And to this point, he has demonstrated a very clear eye for what the team lacks. I cannot imagine he isn't aware that depth scoring is an issue.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Lots of premature hand-wringing going on in this thread. The offseason is what, a week old, and already GMBM has made 2 impact moves. No reason to think he won't continue to refine and improve the roster until training camp. And to this point, he has demonstrated a very clear eye for what the team lacks. I cannot imagine he isn't aware that depth scoring is an issue.

I have a feeling that something big and unexpected is coming. Trading Oshie or Kuznetsov or Orlov as a for instance

Reactions: calicapsfan

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC

Burakovsky and Connolly. You fear a dangerous lack of scoring as a result of losing these two. Burakovsky was a black hole last season and they did fine. Connolly did great on the 3rd line and they were never going to be able to keep him if he performed at that level.

The average of a player that over performed plus a player that underperformed means they need an average output from a couple of players. Hagelin needs 12 goals and 25pts to replace Burakovsky plus he brings forechecking pressure and penalty killing that Burt doesn't. They need one more 12 to 15 goal forward.

In addition they can get more offense from Wilson who can score 30, Vrana who can threaten more goals, and Kuznetsov can do more than he did.

AlexBrovechkin8

At least there was 2018.
Sponsor
Feb 18, 2012
District of Champions

I think we're just looking at the dollars and cents and being realistic. Hagelin at $2.75mm is probably Burakovsky's $2.75mm. If that's the trade off then this team is weaker offensively. Connolly may be gone as well. That's 30+ goals leaving this team with limited dollars left to replace them.

StrikingDistance

Buford T. Justice
Mar 19, 2015
DC
I think we're just looking at the dollars and cents and being realistic. Hagelin at $2.75mm is probably Burakovsky's $2.75mm. If that's the trade off then this team is weaker offensively. Connolly may be gone as well. That's 30+ goals leaving this team with limited dollars left to replace them.

With Ovi, Kuzy, Oshi, Backy, Vrana, etc on the team, I won't be worried anytime soon by offense. Yes, I know we need bottom 6 production, but we were PK bottom dwellers before Hags got here, and obviously BMac sees a need for shoring up defense first (don't have to score as much if you're not letting in 4+ per game).

Also, with Wilson and Gudas on the same team, Hags might have a lot of minutes to kill next year. :D

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
He's gonna cost close to it too, if we're looking to save money he'd be the one to replace

If BMac can simply double his salary to 3 mil over 4/5 years, I would hope Connelly would jump on that. Seems fair everyone and you don't have to uproot your family.

Now if some team offers him 4 x 4 I don't know what Connolly would do.

Revelation

Aug 15, 2016
If BMac can simply double his salary to 3 mil over 4/5 years, I would hope Connelly would jump on that. Seems fair everyone and you don't have to uproot your family.

Now if some team offers him 4 x 4 I don't know what Connolly would do.

I think if Connolly was OK with it he'd be signed already

With Skinner, Eberle and Pacioretty off the table and Panarin only available to like 2 teams he's one of the best Ufa goal scorers available, youngest too. As a GM looking for a winger I'd give him 5x4.5 over what Pacioretty, Skinner and Eberle got easily

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I just cant see that. Trading a future for an established player creates cap issues that would require moving a contract.
And I think MacLellan plays the long game with 1st round picks. I see a Brouwer for Oshie type deal

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad