Post-Game Talk: Habs Will Select 3rd Overall

What do you want to happen with 3rd overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Normally I'd say with such a high pick we MUST take the opportunity to draft that highly skilled forward you can only get with such high picks.. but this had to be the year where no good centers are available, or a winger who doesn't have good straight away speed, isn't good defensively and is not big... I know Zadina is agile, has good acceleration, great wrister, great stickhandling... but I watch Zadina highlights, not even shift by shift videos, but pure highlights vids and I'm scared that Zadina's skillset will not translate to the NHL level all that well. And that even if it does, he will not be the cornerstone of a franchise. I mean he's not big, not fast, not good defensively and a winger. Even in the best case scenario, this doesn't speak to me. I have a hard time imagining him as one of the league's premier player. It's nice that he wants to be a hab though. I am just very iffy about him as a player, especially considering this is the least important position in the game and not an area of need (even if drafting by needs is stupid).

Even though, like I said above, we should almost always draft forwards with top 3 picks.... I think I'd be more tempted with Boqvist or Hughes in this particular instance. Hughes seems the 3rd most NHL ready prospect of the draft to me with his showing at the WC after Dahlin/Svechnikov. He's got the 2 most important things we should look for : insane skating, great hockey sense. But he looks really small out there, and he doesn't have a great slap, decent wrister though. He tends to like to slow things down before making a play after gaining the blue line, and at the NHL level, sometimes, that doesn't work since players take away your time and space and you have to do everything at max speed. We also already have Mete as a diminutive left handed D. If you stack up on small D on the left, teams will have strategies to overload the left side with size and speed and we'll be unable to counter it.

Boqvist impresses me more as a prospect because he has that shot, wrist, snap, slap you name it that Hughes does not have. He's a great skater/stickhandler as well, a bit bigger than Hughes (not just height but he seems to have a naturally bigger frame). He's also 10 months younger than Hughes.... which is a huge deal. How much more would his stock rise if he had another 10 months of development. Who knows... Just sucks that he's a right handed shot given that we have Petry and Weber signed for so long. But then again we should rebuild anyway, and never draft by need. Another thing that sucks is Boqvist has had 2 concussions already...

I don't know enough about Kotkaniemi to say anything.

To me it's between Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes, Kotkaniemi (just because he's a C and a riser, and I don't know him so he might actually be the best pick).

I'd rather have Boqvist or Hughes over Zadina to be honest. But I'd rather have a really skilled center or even winger over either one of Boqvist/Hughes, I just don't know if there is one, not one worth getting with a top 3 pick anyway - assuming Svechnikov goes 2nd.

All in all, to me, this is not a draft where there are a lot of sure things. I am confident Hughes, Zadina and Boqvist should become good NHLers. But I was a lot more excited with the Galchenyuk and Sergachev picks tbh. Galchenyuk even had 1st overall mettle back then given his injury, people thought without it he would have been first overall. But these guys we seemingly have the choice of... they just don't do it for me. Part of me is hoping we go off the board completely with someone no one saw coming and then he turns out to be an amazing player. But I have zero faith in Timmins getting us a good forward and him developing in Montreal... we can't have nice things.

Would've been so better off picking 1 or 2. They are the only two which I have zero doubt their game will translate to the NHL and be elite.

I doubt Hughes will be less than a Ellis type, but not sure if he'll be a true #1.

Booqvist I doubt less, but like you said, concussion issues.

And Zadina ranks very low in terms of need vs being on par talent-wise to the two former, imo.

Timmins seems to be doing better in the last 10 years with top 5/10 picks than when he started off though.

He might just go left field and pick Kokamanie or might prefer Wahlstrom to all of them.

Or god forbid, Brady.

Anyway, I'm expecting our pick to be traded for a veteran more than anything else.

Habs76

Nov 11, 2014
Fredericton, NB
Would've been so better off picking 1 or 2. They are the only two which I have zero doubt their game will translate to the NHL and be elite.

I doubt Hughes will be less than a Ellis type, but not sure if he'll be a true #1.

Booqvist I doubt less, but like you said, concussion issues.

And Zadina ranks very low in terms of need vs being on par talent-wise to the two former, imo.

Timmins seems to be doing better in the last 10 years with top 5/10 picks than when he started off though.

He might just go left field and pick Kokamanie or might prefer Wahlstrom to all of them.

Or god forbid, Brady.

Anyway, I'm expecting our pick to be traded for a veteran more than anything else.
Hughes isn't an Ellis style player, Smith is much more like Ellis.

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Nope not a huge drop off after two. People are just pessimistic. Zadina outscored Hischier at even strength, yet no one would cry if the Habs were drafting him. Habs fans just want a reason to complain.

And to those who say he doesn’t fit a need, please show me the abundance of offensive snipers that the team has at the top and in the pipeline. I’d be interested in knowing who they are. I was under the impression that this team couldn’t score goals the last decade.

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Nope not a huge drop off after two. People are just pessimistic. Zadina outscored Hischier at even strength, yet no one would cry if the Habs were drafting him. Habs fans just want a reason to complain.

And to those who say he doesn’t fit a need, please show me the abundance of offensive snipers that the team has at the top and in the pipeline. I’d be interested in knowing who they are. I was under the impression that this team couldn’t score goals the last decade.

Since when there's a drop off after 2? All season long we got to hear that there is Dahlin as the clear no.1, Svech and Zadina relly close as no.2 an 3 and the rest . Now I see people talking about a huge dropoff after 2, that Svech is closer to Dahlin than Zadina is to him, ect. Where/when did that happened? And why?

le_sean

Oct 21, 2006
Since when there's a drop off after 2? All season long we got to hear that there is Dahlin as the clear no.1, Svech and Zadina relly close as no.2 an 3 and the rest . Now I see people talking about a huge dropoff after 2, that Svech is closer to Dahlin than Zadina is to him, ect. Where/when did that happened? And why?

Since the Habs got 3rd overall. If the Habs got 4th, I guarantee everyone would be sad that they are missing out on the “Big 3”.

I think it’s clear that Svechnikov is more of a gamebreaking talent than Zadina, but the drop off isn’t “huge”.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006

If Svetchnikov drops to 3 the guys blazing Zadina will expose all the flaws in Svetchnikov’s game and blast Bergevin for not trading down to secure Zadina! What an idiot, Bergevin is!!!!!

Reactions: Deebs and le_sean

Scuba-Steve

Jun 8, 2006
Québec
Lol what the **** is that .. Svechnikov has been slotted as a lock for number 2 for more than a year... I'ts not because we got number 3..

Yes he always was the no.2, but Svechnikov was never said to be in a tier of his own after Dahlin IRC.

What I remember seeing all year long is that there was Dahlin (tier 1), after that Svechnikov being the no.2 with Zadina being close to him at 3 (tier 2) and te rest of the guys like Boqvist, Hughes, Wahlstrom, Tkachuk, ect. (tier 3).

Now you read shit like "Svechnikov is closer to Dahlin than Zadina is to him". This is nonsense to me as a guy who has had a limited view of both guy. I don't understand why the perception of the people around here have changed that much recently.

dackelljuneaubulis02

Oct 13, 2012
Since the Habs got 3rd overall. If the Habs got 4th, I guarantee everyone would be sad that they are missing out on the “Big 3”.

I think it’s clear that Svechnikov is more of a gamebreaking talent than Zadina, but the drop off isn’t “huge”.

yeah I'm still bummed about very likely missing out on Svech especially because it was looking like a really good chance we'd at least get the #2 pick there for an hour or two.

But your completely right. Sure we REALLY need top 6 Cs and top pairing Ds but we also really need a potentially high end sniper. People act like if we got Zadina that we couldn't somehow get a top 6 C in the very near future or it's useless to have Zadina until we actually get that Center which is just weird reasoning to me. Just because we don't have that C doesn't mean we shouldn't draft the BPA which looks to me to be Zadina. Dude just straight up scores goals. His shot is evil. He could very well put up Patch-like goal totals.

Reactions: Runner77

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015

I know I wouldn't, but I would be petrified of picking Tkachuk with the 4th.
Nobody is debating that really. It's about the ever building gap between him and the others scrubs... :naughty:
Well the gap from 3-10ish is very little whereas the gap from 2-3 is much larger.

Reactions: NoQuinn

CHwest

Talent sets the floor, character sets the ceiling.
May 24, 2011
Nobody is debating that really. It's about the ever building gap between him and the others scrubs... :naughty:
The rest suck so bad I don't know if drafting them is really worth the effort of being there.

Reactions: isthatso

G0bias

Oct 4, 2007
MTL
Boqvist was for a long time seen as the superior #3 to Zadina going into the season, so this thing about there being a "Big 3" all season is news to me.

3-7 are pretty interchangeable. The only reason I'm happier about 3 than 4 is the extremely slim chance Carolina goes full Bergevin and passes on Svechnikov. That and the fact I think we're safe from Tkachuk at 3.

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
Boqvist was for a long time seen as the superior #3 to Zadina going into the season, so this thing about there being a "Big 3" all season is news to me.

3-7 are pretty interchangeable. The only reason I'm happier about 3 than 4 is the extremely slim chance Carolina goes full Bergevin and passes on Svechnikov.
And not picking Tkachuk

sheed36

Jan 8, 2005
No Man's Land
If the Habs decide to draft a defenseman @ 3 who is considered the 2nd best defenseman in this draft and which defenseman would you guys prefer @ 3?

The Great Weal

Phil's Pizza
Jan 15, 2015
If the Habs decide to draft a defenseman @ 3 who is considered the 2nd best defenseman in this draft and which defenseman would you guys prefer @ 3?
I'd want him or Hughes or Dobson. Call me crazy, but I got a feeling we take Dobson at 3.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad