Post-Game Talk: Habs Will Select 3rd Overall

What do you want to happen with 3rd overall?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Grate n Colorful Oz

Hutson Hawk
Jun 12, 2007
Hockey Mecca
Wow, great source. I guess you're right...

''About Expatistan.com

Expatistan.com was founded in 2009 by Gerardo Robledillo, a software engineer specializing in web applications. An expat himself, he created Expatistan to solve a problem that every expat faces; How much money will I need in my new city? Expatistan runs one of the biggest collaborative cost-of-living databases of prices in the world. This database is constantly updated and improved in a collaborative way by expats all over the world.''

Finally, a recognized source of information. You just got to love the internet.

Anyways, good day to you. FYI, also have a place down there.

Other examples:

Hennesy VS
33 USD at total wine Tampa Bay (42 CAD @ 1.27)
66 CAD at SAQ

Gallon of milk
4 USD at Publix Clearwater (5.08 CAD @ 1.27)
6.00 CAD at Metro

Gasoline
2.56 USD a gallon at Sam's Club Tampa (3.25 CAD @ 1.27)
5.20 CAD a gallon in MTL

Note that those prices are from today. And for the ''additional'' 30% that you get, you also get higher sales taxes and income taxes, which the latter is not as big of a deal as some makes it, but there is some truth to it.

@shutehinside I don't think you got the sarcasm here, so I added actual prices from today. My folks are in Clearwater now.

You should find another example than the gallon of milk as the pricing is artificially maintained by the provincial government here in Quebec.

Gas is another bad example as it is the most taxed item in Canada.

Wines are also another bad example because it's a government run corporation.

Try restaurant prices. You'll see it's about the same for mid and high end. Clothing prices are also pretty close.

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
You should find another example than the gallon of milk as the pricing is artificially maintained by the provincial government here in Quebec.

Gas is another bad example as it is the most taxed item in Canada.

Wines are also another bad example because it's a government run corporation.

Try restaurant prices. You'll see it's about the same for mid and high end. Clothing prices are also pretty close.

Don't get me wrong, I understand your point, but those are basic and essential items that will be bought regardless of their taxation status and social status (well, cognac aside, as it might not be essential to ALL). The price range of restaurants and clothing varies a lot, that is why you compare basic items such as gas and milk. The rest can get pretty wild.

An Armani suit is not even the same price from tailor to tailor in Montreal, so it makes it a bit useless to go and try to compare city to city. Same thing about restaurants. You can go to the Keg, or to a Michelin star restaurant... Well, not in Canada, though.

To be honest, I don't even know where the comparaison between Tampa Bay and Montreal started. The further North you go, the closer you get to our range of pricing on some items.

I should have compared the price for Maple Syrup :naughty:

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
To further that conversation, I would add that beside any ''cost of living'' differences, those guys are millionaires. They don't buy the same stuff, they don't prioritize things in the same way than a regular Joe. Even between Athletes, it'll vary wildly.

Just for the heck of it, in order to show the complexity it could get to, you don't need to buy summer and winter tires over there (I wonder how much a set of winter tires for a Ferrari is worth :eek:). You surely spend less on winter clothes, including for the kids. As oppose to that, you spend a lot less on sandals here... :naughty:

I tolerate the winters in Quebec. But if I ever have the cash to buy a big mansion and a couple of Ferraris, I'd rather enjoy them beachside and all year long in Tampa (well, not Tampa, but St-Pete, Clearwater, Treasure Island...). Not only that but even in summer here, the sight of a Ferrari in the badly beaten roads of Montreal is hard to watch.

Anyways, have you seen a bachelor hockey player's fridge? There is no milk. There is actually close to nothing beside Gatorade. They basically get all of their basic needs taken care of, go to restaurants, get per diem on traveling days... For the family men, it's a slightly different story but still.

Just an insane topic to compare with regular Joe lives. And the smart ones make more money with sponsorships and investments anyways.

Just ask Jack Johnson!

Last edited:

isthatso

Jan 20, 2017
Lmao.. good one.

Speak o the devil, have you seen the documentary on the price fixing? It's a good watch.

I did. Also watched a part about the heist in a docuserie, can't remember the name... Rotten, maybe? I mean, it's weird and slightly funny at the same time.

''Today, in what is a typical Canadian day...''

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Don't underrate the "Dudley effect"..

So many posts are assuming that there is a possibility the Canes pick Zadina and it certainly can't be discounted.

However, the Canes are also open to dealing the pick and have said so and now have Dudley in tow who is known to favor trading high picks.

What if the owner of that pick is no longer the Canes -- does the Svech as a Hab dream, become completely impossible?

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
So many posts are assuming that there is a possibility the Canes pick Zadina and it certainly can't be discounted.

However, the Canes are also open to dealing the pick and have said so and now have Dudley in tow who is known to favor trading high picks.

What if the owner of that pick is no longer the Canes -- does the Svech as a Hab dream, become completely impossible?

In my opinion this draft seems very tiered in the first three as in: Dahlin space space space Svechnikov space Zadina. Anything is possible though, it's hard to predict the draft. So I'm all for dreaming on dreamers.

If the canes trade the pick to anyone but the Habs I'd say the dream is over. But if they don't trade it...

I'll spare you a bunch of bolded and underlined text ;)...

The dream is alive until the second pick happens in June.

Reactions: Runner77

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013

My question to you is do you think fan pressure factors into the teams decisions in the draft? Fans would be really dissapointed in my opinion if you take Zadina for hockey reasons over Svech for hype reasons.

Kudo Shinichi

Apr 20, 2012
My question to you is do you think fan pressure factors into the teams decisions in the draft? Fans would be really dissapointed in my opinion if you take Zadina for hockey reasons over Svech for hype reasons.

Carolina don't have much of a fanbase

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
Carolina don't have much of a fanbase

Yeah, I remember reading an article saying the fans exist in Carolina but they are fair weather fans, they appear when the team is winning and disappear when the team is loosing. It was a while ago but I seem to think they referenced their championship basketball teams etc. etc. in why they don't take to a loosing hockey team.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012

I'd say it shouldn't matter what fans think even though we've seen what could happen when a team has to make a decision within the context of the draft being held on its home turf. Thankfully, this is not the Habs' problem.

From a Habs perspective, I'm really concerned about the timeline Bergevin will be using to make moves on draft day -- how much control does he have over the draft and how tempted will he be to draft and trade to save his job? How many of his moves will be dictated by how close to the NHL a potential player might be? Already we've seen a number of disturbing issues with player evaluation and how several of the same advisors are still there counseling him.

Evidently, we'd like the Habs to draft the BPA at that no. 3OA spot, without regard to the GM's future -- the BPA should be the one that they have devised -- which may or may not align with fan expectations. If they're going to pick players that invite fan backlash and it turns out the fans are eventually proven right -- then let them pay with their jobs.

DramaticGloveSave

Voice of Reason
Apr 17, 2017
You guys really need to stop being so bummed out about not being top 2, and be thrilled to be 3 instead of 5/6 which was the most likely scenario pre-lottery. We could have Svech fall into our lap, or worse case we have our pick of Zadina/Hughes.

Way better scenario than having to settle for the next tier (which includes Tkachuk for all you haters by the way)

NobleSix

High Tech Low-Life.
Apr 20, 2013
CyberSpace
www.ilovebees.co
The way I look at it is that Buffalo actually won both 1OV and 3OV. We only managed to move up in the draft because of the fact that the 3OV ball had to be drawn again. That's pretty lucky in itself. We could have ended up picking 4th or 5th and basically been guaranteed Tkachuk.

Of course I really wanted 2OV to get Svech, but it was never really in the cards when you think about it. I'm happy with #3 as long as these fools don't f*** it up.

HBDay

Jan 28, 2013
You guys really need to stop being so bummed out about not being top 2, and be thrilled to be 3 instead of 5/6 which was the most likely scenario pre-lottery. We could have Svech fall into our lap, or worse case we have our pick of Zadina/Hughes.

Way better scenario than having to settle for the next tier (which includes Tkachuk for all you haters by the way)

I'm actually not bummed at all. My thought process is the exact same as yours Svechnikov could fall to us, if not we draft Zadina who in all fairness in some prior draft years would have been in talks for first overall. I think we are getting a better player in him then we got in Galchenyuk last time we drafted thrid overall. And I like Galchenyuk as a player now that his hype and expectations are settling down.

The worst case scenario though would absolutely be that Bergevin trades the pick or the player for a current NHL player. I say the same thing all the time I'd rather have a lottery ticket that could win me big then 20 bucks that is going to be 20 bucks.

Clearedwaivers

Feb 27, 2017

I think it would seem so at that point. I'd assume if someone else were trading up to the second spot, it would be to acquire Svechnikov. Maybe it will be the Habs the pick is traded to though.[/QUOTE]

Gally11

Sep 20, 2010
Toronto

That shift where he gets the loose puck in the neutral zone knocks that guy on his ass that tried to check him, then Garneau comes in to poke check he circles back and heads to the blueline protects the puck the entire time the old Subban way, dekes out another guy, gets in the slot takes a shot and then slashes Garneau for a little hack during the deke. Had me drooling. Watched it 7 times haha don’t tell me this kid can’t drive an offence without assistance that’s bullshit this guy is going to be a beast and we’re lucky to have him at 3.

Sterling Archer

Sep 26, 2006
That shift where he gets the loose puck in the neutral zone knocks that guy on his ass that tried to check him, then Garneau comes in to poke check he circles back and heads to the blueline protects the puck the entire time the old Subban way, dekes out another guy, gets in the slot takes a shot and then slashes Garneau for a little hack during the deke. Had me drooling. Watched it 7 times haha don’t tell me this kid can’t drive an offence without assistance that’s bull**** this guy is going to be a beast and we’re lucky to have him at 3.

Impressive reel.

Reminds me of a mix Patches with his lethal release and shot but also a bit of Radulov with his ability to protect the puck and make plays.

If he can do that in the NHL, he’ll be a hell of a player.

Reactions: Redux91 and Gally11

Cole Caulifield

Apr 22, 2004
Normally I'd say with such a high pick we MUST take the opportunity to draft that highly skilled forward you can only get with such high picks.. but this had to be the year where no good centers are available, or a winger who doesn't have good straight away speed, isn't good defensively and is not big... I know Zadina is agile, has good acceleration, great wrister, great stickhandling... but I watch Zadina highlights, not even shift by shift videos, but pure highlights vids and I'm scared that Zadina's skillset will not translate to the NHL level all that well. And that even if it does, he will not be the cornerstone of a franchise. I mean he's not big, not fast, not good defensively and a winger. Even in the best case scenario, this doesn't speak to me. I have a hard time imagining him as one of the league's premier player. It's nice that he wants to be a hab though. I am just very iffy about him as a player, especially considering this is the least important position in the game and not an area of need (even if drafting by needs is stupid).

Even though, like I said above, we should almost always draft forwards with top 3 picks.... I think I'd be more tempted with Boqvist or Hughes in this particular instance. Hughes seems the 3rd most NHL ready prospect of the draft to me with his showing at the WC after Dahlin/Svechnikov. He's got the 2 most important things we should look for : insane skating, great hockey sense. But he looks really small out there, and he doesn't have a great slap, decent wrister though. He tends to like to slow things down before making a play after gaining the blue line, and at the NHL level, sometimes, that doesn't work since players take away your time and space and you have to do everything at max speed. We also already have Mete as a diminutive left handed D. If you stack up on small D on the left, teams will have strategies to overload the left side with size and speed and we'll be unable to counter it.

Boqvist impresses me more as a prospect because he has that shot, wrist, snap, slap you name it that Hughes does not have. He's a great skater/stickhandler as well, a bit bigger than Hughes (not just height but he seems to have a naturally bigger frame). He's also 10 months younger than Hughes.... which is a huge deal. How much more would his stock rise if he had another 10 months of development. Who knows... Just sucks that he's a right handed shot given that we have Petry and Weber signed for so long. But then again we should rebuild anyway, and never draft by need. Another thing that sucks is Boqvist has had 2 concussions already...

I don't know enough about Kotkaniemi to say anything.

To me it's between Zadina, Boqvist, Hughes, Kotkaniemi (just because he's a C and a riser, and I don't know him so he might actually be the best pick).

I'd rather have Boqvist or Hughes over Zadina to be honest. But I'd rather have a really skilled center or even winger over either one of Boqvist/Hughes, I just don't know if there is one, not one worth getting with a top 3 pick anyway - assuming Svechnikov goes 2nd.

All in all, to me, this is not a draft where there are a lot of sure things. I am confident Hughes, Zadina and Boqvist should become good NHLers. But I was a lot more excited with the Galchenyuk and Sergachev picks tbh. Galchenyuk even had 1st overall mettle back then given his injury, people thought without it he would have been first overall. But these guys we seemingly have the choice of... they just don't do it for me. Part of me is hoping we go off the board completely with someone no one saw coming and then he turns out to be an amazing player. But I have zero faith in Timmins getting us a good forward and him developing in Montreal... we can't have nice things.

Reactions: Grate n Colorful Oz

ArsHabs

Nov 4, 2017
Re-read what I said. I never said Svechnikov and Dahlin are in the same category. I said he (Svechnikov) is closer to Dahlin than Svechnikov is closer to Zadina for example).

These aren't official numbers or anything, just my personal rating, but this was what I mean:

Tier-1
Dahlin (100)

Tier-2
Svechnikov (96)

Tier-3
Boqvist (90)
Wahlstrom (89)
Hughes (88)
Zadina (87)

Agree 100%

There’s a gap for sure but the gap is wider between Svechnikov and everyone else than it is between him and Dahlin. Of course Dahlin is in his own planet but Svechnikov is like the moon to Dahlin’s Earth. Next closest guy is like Jupiter.

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares

On a different note, how are you feeling health wise? Hopefully better.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Toulouse vs Montpellier
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $246.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Hoffenheim vs RB Leipzig