Post-Game Talk: Habs tanking ways no matssss against Pen Firepower, Lose 5-3 -- Jaffy Rises Yet Again

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its not made up. Drouin sets up teammates in scoring positions for scoring opportunities at higher rate than most guys in the NHL. He's legitimately fantastic in that regard. There's other stuff he does better than Galchenyuk too. I think Galchenyuk is better suited at center to Drouin for a variety of reasons, but saying Glachenyuk is better than Drouin in every way is being unfair to Drouin (ignores things he does well) and Galchenyuk (sets him as better than he actually is).

They're both talented but flawed players that haven't been managed (or utilized) very well by the Habs.

Let me see those numbers.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
The bolded is true, but how do you know which is better when you decide to completely eliminate one of the options despite having evidence that it could work? If they try him and he fails, so be it. But they’re not giving him a fair shake which has been the case for most of his career.
Fair point - and its a valid question to ask.

It's just, at this point in the year, with everything we've seen.

- Drouin at center
- Byron at center
- DLR at center
- Hudon at center

It's CLEAR they don't see Galchenyuk as a winger anymore, so the debate about why they're not using him at center make as much as sense as wondering why they're not using Jeff Petry at center.

He's a winger...end of story.

At least, that's what i've come to accept and it's helped with the frustration of having to understand why they don't use him there again...you should try it, it helps lol

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Radulov literally never took the middle of the ice, his strength is his play along the boards and down low... Something Galchenyuk is incredibly weak at.
Not sure how "literal" that is but sure OK...doesn't really change what I said though.

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
You've made up your mind just as I've made up mine.

Yes, just like I could make up my mind that Carey Price never proved anything in this league.

Just because you believe it doesn't mean it's true. Facts say otherwise. But you said it yourself, you've hated the guy since junior. Not sure why anyone would value your opinion on the matter when you admit to be biased to begin with.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Yes, just like I could make up my mind that Carey Price never proved anything in this league.

Just because you believe it doesn't mean it's true. Facts say otherwise. But you said it yourself, you've hated the guy since junior. Not sure why anyone would value your opinion on the matter when you admit to be biased to begin with.
Carey Price came in the league and got a top 10 vezina and top 5 calder year, he proved something right off the bat.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Fair point - and its a valid question to ask.

It's just, at this point in the year, with everything we've seen.

- Drouin at center
- Byron at center
- DLR at center
- Hudon at center

It's CLEAR they don't see Galchenyuk as a winger anymore, so the debate about why they're not using him at center make as much as sense as wondering why they're not using Jeff Petry at center.

He's a winger...end of story.

At least, that's what i've come to accept and it's helped with the frustration of having to understand why they don't use him there again...you should try it, it helps lol

I can’t accept it because I’ve been watching a team with no center depth for far too long. This year has just been painful. The reason it bugs me is there’s a player on our team right now that makes me think it doesn’t have to be this bad. If they actually address this issue, I will be able to move past this mismanagement of this player. But they need to do something. How many years of piss poor center depth, which is the most important position in the game do we have to go threw.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I can’t accept it because I’ve been watching a team with no center depth for far too long. This year has just been painful. The reason it bugs me is there’s a player on our team right now that makes me think it doesn’t have to be this bad. If they actually address this issue, I will be able to move past this mismanagement of this player. But they need to do something. How many years of piss poor center depth, which is the most important position in the game do we have to go threw.
You think things would be all that different if Drouin & Galchenyuk swapped positions during faceoffs?

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Just stop with the language bull**** my god
What's with pointing out what the media don't ? The other night, when Drouin let an oponent score a goal in OT due to his baby soft coverage, no one in the French media dared pointing it out. And when someone actually mentionned Drouin, they were all quick to change subject. Only Jean-Charles Lajoie has been vocal about him not being a fit at center. The hipocrisy is real. If Drouin was named John Smith, he wouldn't be a center on this team anymore.

EDIT : And I hate to say it as a French Canadian, but there's a lot of homerism with Drouin this year.

Reactions: Doc McKenna

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
You think things would be all that different if Drouin & Galchenyuk swapped positions during faceoffs?

I don’t have the exact numbers on their face offs. They’re both pretty bad. When you ask differen’t, are you referring to the team and results this season, or just the Center position in general?

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don’t have the exact numbers on their face offs. They’re both pretty bad. When you ask differen’t, are you referring to the team and results this season, or just the Center position in general?
Team results...

Individually, I think the whole Drouin/Galchenyuk, C/W argument is completely overblown.

nhlfan9191

Aug 4, 2010
Team results...

Individually, I think the whole Drouin/Galchenyuk, C/W argument is completely overblown.

This season, no. The team was way to flawed. Although I do wonder if Pacioretty production goes up this season if he had Galchenyuk or someone competent in the middle instead of Drouin glued to him for a long period of time. The defence alone was a travisty. Mix that in with average forwards and an underperforming goaltender and we were screwed.

Mrb1p

PRICERSTOPDAPUCK
Dec 10, 2011
Citizen of the world
Its not made up. Drouin sets up teammates in scoring positions for scoring opportunities at higher rate than most guys in the NHL. He's legitimately fantastic in that regard. There's other stuff he does better than Galchenyuk too. I think Galchenyuk is better suited at center to Drouin for a variety of reasons, but saying Glachenyuk is better than Drouin in every way is being unfair to Drouin (ignores things he does well) and Galchenyuk (sets him as better than he actually is).

They're both talented but flawed players that haven't been managed (or utilized) very well by the Habs.

This is the stats i want to see. Not gonna read through that Martin WTV pseudo-journalism crap, sorry. If theres something worthwhile, post it.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
What's with pointing out what the media don't ? The other night, when Drouin let an oponent score a goal in OT due to his baby soft coverage, no one in the French media dared pointing it out. And when someone actually mentionned Drouin, they were all quick to change subject. Only Jean-Charles Lajoie has been vocal about him not being a fit at center. The hipocrisy is real. If Drouin was named John Smith, he wouldn't be a center on this team anymore.

EDIT : And I hate to say it as a French Canadian, but there's a lot of homerism with Drouin this year.

You guys are experiencing confirmation bias...

Last edited:
Reactions: Redux91

Rosso Scuderia

Jun 30, 2012

Actually, Drouin got bashed a lot for his lack of effort and commitment on l'antichambre. Damphousse, Charbonneau are not his biggest fans.. but I agree that in general, Drouin has a much longer leash than anyone else from the french media.

Reactions: Runner77

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
I think there's still an outside chan--

giphy.gif

The mid-sentence interruption is a killer. :laugh:

Last edited:

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
You can check out all of the highlights here: Spoiler Free NHL Highlights

Great site to use if you ever miss a game.

That's an amazing site. One of us should post a link to it at every PGT, especially given the full screen HD viewing you can get.

I wonder what is their turnaround following games. How quickly do they post their highlights?

Redux91

I do Three bullets.
Sep 5, 2006
Kirkland, Montreal
That's an amazing site. One of us should post a link to it at every PGT, especially given the full screen HD viewing you can get.

I wonder what is their turnaround following games. How quickly do they post their highlights?

Yeah these highlight vids (the same ones) also appear on youtube about an hour or so after every game, honestly i dont catch highlights on rds.ca or tsn.ca anymore, always these huge game recaps, they show great plays, great passes, not necessaily only goals (also EVERY goal for that matter)

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal

Anywhere from 1-3 hours after the games, usually.

I remember using it while on vacation in January. I'd get back to my room after supper and what have you and eventually remember that the Habs were losing playing that day and pull up the highlights.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
It blows my mind how much time and energy is spent on this board towards De la Rose. This guy is a dime a dozen. Why people are holding out hope for him to be something more is beyond me. Guys like him can be found every year off the scrap heap. I guess it just shows how bad we are that we need to debate his merits.

You can find free agents from American colleges that trump DLR every year. The tolerance and in some cases, support this guy gets is difficult to justify.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
Yeah these highlight vids (the same ones) also appear on youtube about an hour or so after every game, honestly i dont catch highlights on rds.ca or tsn.ca anymore, always these huge game recaps, they show great plays, great passes, not necessaily only goals (also EVERY goal for that matter)

I've added the link to the OP. Hopefully one of us will remember to look for the highlights on YouTube or from the site that Tricolore suggested. If they're put up one hour after the game, that's not so bad.

Mario le Magnifique

Habs apologist, closet Pens fan
Dec 6, 2007
My basement
Actually, Drouin got bashed a lot for his lack of effort and commitment on l'antichambre. Damphousse, Charbonneau are not his biggest fans.. but I agree that in general, Drouin has a much longer leash than anyone else from the french media.
Gotta admit that I don't watch Antichambre nor the TVA version much because I don't think they can make constructive criticism of anything Habs related. Anyway, that was just my impression. I'm probably Drouin's biggest homer (called him our Franchise savior in the Sergachev - Drouin trade thread) but his play has just been disgusting, no matter how many fancy saucers he makes on the PP. Baby soft player. I didn't think he was like that, I thought we had a gamer.

Runner77

Sponsor
Jun 24, 2012
The politics within this organization will ensure this team never sees real success and that moron Molson has to go as everytime these cockroaches own this team, they bring in a corrupt crew that has no idea what they’re doing with them.

The head cockroach himself will be interviewed on 690 within the next two hours, as they're doing their yearly Irish extravaganza from Hurley's Pub, in anticipation of St-Patrick's Day weekend.

Reactions: nhlfan9191

Captain Mountain

Formerly Captain Wolverine
Jun 6, 2010
This is the stats i want to see. Not gonna read through that Martin WTV pseudo-journalism crap, sorry. If theres something worthwhile, post it.

I did. If you don't want to read the article with the data in it, then I'm not sure why your complaining. If you don't want to read articles, then feel free to get the info from here Tape to Tape Tracker.

For someone who said "Galchenyuk is better in every metric" despite not actually backing up that claim, you seem pretty gung ho on other people backing their far more subtle statements up. You disagree with the notion that Drouin is among the better playmakers in the NHL?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad