Confirmed with Link: Habs sign Gignac

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
A nice story on a Sunday! Not so long ago he was playing in the ECHL and continued working on his game.
Remember that Anthony Richard despite his elite skating is still mired in the AHL. Keep the expectations reasonable. It's one thing to possess explosive skating, it's entirely a different issue dealing with the speed and with hockey sense at the NHL level.

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
A nice story on a Sunday! Not so long ago he was playing in the ECHL and continued working on his game.
Remember that Anthony Richard despite his elite skating is still mired in the AHL. Keep the expectations reasonable. It's one thing to possess explosive skating, it's entirely a different issue dealing with the speed and with hockey sense at the NHL level.
Speed gives you a chance. Richard was easily knocked off the puck. The trouble is, in today’s NHL, almost everyone can skate. The days of Terry Harper and Ted Harris are long gone. You have to bring more. But Gignac’s skating ability will give him a chance.

Ezpz

No mad pls
Apr 16, 2013
I'm sure he'll get some games in but I'd hate to see Laval lose him for the rest of the year. They're already on thin ice with Xhekaj up.

I wonder if Davidson ends up with a contract now. He hasn't been a coach favourite but he looked great in preseason and has done fairly well for s fourth line role and frequent scratchings. From what I understand if they sign him after his birthday it would only need to be a two year deal. Or maybe even now since the contract would start next season.

Simoneau probably deserves a couple games up too.

Regardless, good story for gignac to get pushed down into the ECHL in new Jersey and work his way up Laval's roster for three years and earn a contract.

jfm133

Nov 6, 2015
Guaranteed money in the AHL next year should prevent a team from picking him up on waivers. That being said, he deserved it and it's another proof that, like Struble, you can force your way up if you play well enough.

Reactions: NewDef and Tyson

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Please don’t call him up this year. Otherwise, goodbye playoffs for Laval. Of course, I know they probably will.

Jaynki

Feb 3, 2014
A good story, but lets be honest, its nothing more than a late season tanky move where we promote an AHL vet who did well.

Reactions: nhlfan9191 and 417

schwang26

Mar 15, 2022
Seems like he has a hefty contract by ahl standards and maybe that's what will keep him from being claimed.

He’d absolutely get claimed. Laval is screwed and this really does nothing for this years’ Habs. I really don’t like this. They’ll probably end up bringing other guys up as well , depending on any deadline moves.

Love Gignac, but people who are excited to see what he can do need to remember the team that he’s coming into and who he’s going to play with. I highly doubt he’ll be successful this year.

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
Happy for the kid. And it's an example of if you bring it, we'll bring it. Good signing. We have enough available contracts to use them if needed. And we can still unload other contracts.

For Laval, I hope that Hughes finds a way to add players to it. Not the end of the world, but instead of that 3rd rounder, I would have added a Malott. Hopefully we'll do it till the deadline.

Last edited:
Reactions: Guillermo

Bottle Rocket

Jul 23, 2023
Happy for the kid. And it's an example of if you bring it, we'll bring it. God signing. We have enough available contracts to use them if needed. And we can still unload other contracts.

For Laval, I hope that Hughes finds a way to add players to it. Not the end of the world, but instead of that 3rd rounder, I would have added a Malott. Hopefully we'll do it till the deadline.
Temperate your enthusiasm. He is not God tier.

Not yet...

• Haha
Reactions: Whitesnake

montreal

Go Habs Go
Mar 21, 2002
www.youtube.com
said it early in the season that i thought he would get signed and in the NHL by the trade deadline, but he's been our best player in Laval so of course they should give him a look.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad