Proposal: Habs package for speeding up the rebuild

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
I have no projection prediction for Slaf. This season his development has been off the charts. I am not going to put a ceiling on his production next season.

Guess we will find out! ;)
I think his ceiling/floor depends on how good the Habs power play looks. If they can get up to 20-21%, then with how much they play their PP1, the point totals could look fantastic. And in that case I would give Slaf a TON of credit for being a big difference maker on the PP.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
I think his ceiling/floor depends on how good the Habs power play looks. If they can get up to 20-21%, then with how much they play their PP1, the point totals could look fantastic. And in that case I would give Slaf a TON of credit for being a big difference maker on the PP.
His ceiling depends on his continued development. He's 19 and huge. He will continue to develop. Maybe not at the stratospheric pace as he has done this season. But its hard to put a ceiling on a guy who's development has been off the charts in 1 x season.

Habs will have a 2nd line when Dach returns. That will help take some of the attention off the top-line. Habs D will be improve next year. All that will contribute. Its not just one thing like PP%.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Florida is a top 2 team in the league in xGoal%. Very analytically good.

That montreal team was 17th in a very weak north division
Florida was also a bottom 10 team half-way through 2022-23, sure it was largely because of injuries... but injuries can strike any team, any time.

Don't nitpick an example given to illustrate a general principle.

TBF1972

May 19, 2018
You do realize that despite Armia playing less games that he has been on the ice more this year then Holtz?

There's also the whole fact that this is Holtz's rookie year while Armia is old.

And the fact that if you compare Newhooks rookie season to Holtz they are surprisingly close. Seems to me that if you were okay with the Newhook deal then you'd be fine with the Holtz one.

I'll wait for a competent Habs fan to say "no" I think.
barron > holtz

can't you see this homer?

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Habs should take giant step ahead next year. Barring key injuries again.

Dach back and we acquire a top 6 forward. Either by trading Jets pick or UFA. DeBrusk or Marchessault. Along with a good draft. Add a future star, Ignila?

Then the following year we have 23 million coming off books. Can add. top player. Year 2025 going to be big year for Habs

dgibb10

Feb 29, 2024
Florida was also a bottom 10 team half-way through 2022-23, sure it was largely because of injuries... but injuries can strike any team, any time.

Don't nitpick an example given to illustrate a general principle.
You could say that about any pick. Any pick next year could fall anywhere between 1-32

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
You could say that about any pick. Any pick next year could fall anywhere between 1-32
Well, yes, they could.

But you're missing my point that it's very hard to predict where picks will be more than a season ahead of time. Wild swings between seasons happen regularly, and predicting where picks end up is risky business. It's not entirely random, but there is a lot of variance.

Toronto wouldn't have given two top-10 picks for Kessel, if they'd known how bad they were going to be.
Boston went from dead last in 1997 to middle of the pack in 1998

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
Well, yes, they could.

But you're missing my point that it's very hard to predict where picks will be more than a season ahead of time. Wild swings between seasons happen regularly, and predicting where picks end up is risky business. It's not entirely random, but there is a lot of variance.

Toronto wouldn't have given two top-10 picks for Kessel, if they'd known how bad they were going to be.
Boston went from dead last in 1997 to middle of the pack in 1998
Regardless of what pick the Habs end up with, they will net 2 x 1st round picks for Sean Monahan! :D

That is Hughes out-GMing his colleagues!

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Regardless of what pick the Habs end up with, they will net 2 x 1st round picks for Sean Monahan! :D

That is Hughes out-GMing his colleagues!
While that's true.... it's easy enough to win trades when you aren't actually trying to compete, and just sell off assets or cap room. I mean, he did well, but having 1st round picks isn't a reason to gloat.

Junohockeyfan

Dec 16, 2018
While that's true.... it's easy enough to win trades when you aren't actually trying to compete, and just sell off assets or cap room. I mean, he did well, but having 1st round picks isn't a reason to gloat.
He got 2 x 1sts for Sean Monahan. LOL

Cmon, that's pretty funny.

But i agree, when you sell, you have less risk to bomb a trade.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Sydney Swans @ Hawthorn Hawks
    Wagers: 5
    Staked: $6,151.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 3
    Staked: $1,447.00