Player Discussion Habs mid season grades

ak90210

Sep 18, 2011
Thank you Xenu!
Truly a glorious day on the boards when a real scout gives us his player grades for the season!

Lebowski

El Duderino
Dec 5, 2010
Goalies:

Price-95% / Can't ask for much more. Stop rushing back from injuries, maybe.
Condon-80% / He's been fine for the most part. He's not saving the team's butt regularly the way Price does, but he's not letting his teammates down either by letting in softies.

Defense:

Subban-80% / Fairly average, by his standards. Still on pace for nigh 60 points, plays well on both ends of the ice... Would like him to play with more of an edge, but that comes and goes with confidence. His deficiencies are being vastly overstated.
Markov-65% / Started off great, but he's been slowing down - fast.
Petry-90% / Consistent, reliable, chips in offensively. He's doing great.
Emelin-80% / Had some rough patches, but overall he's been playing good hockey,
Beaulieu-85% / Developing nicely. Good presence on both sides of the ice.
Gilbert-85% / For his role, he's been fine.

Forwards:

Pacioretty-70% / Capable of so much more. Team leader in points or not, he's been very underwhelming this season. I'd argue he hasn't been a top 3 forward on this team thus far. Needs to use his speed more and get more involved in the play.
Plekanec-80% / Same old self. Reliable and quietly puts up points on the board while getting under the other team's skin. Went cold after Therrien juggled with the lines [to the surprise of no one], but he's been good when paired with Pacioretty.
Gallagher-100% / A true warrior. I honestly can't ask for more.
Galchenyuk-95% / In my opinion, our best and most dangerous forward so far this season. He generates chances shift after shift and is starting to "tilt" the ice when he hangs on to the puck. That's usually a trait shared only by star players in this league.
Eller-80% / I like the hustle he's been showing on a nightly basis and his commitment to the defensive side of the game, but as usual when it comes down to Eller, he needs to find a way to be consistent offensively. I think he has the ability to chip in more offensively, even given is somewhat limited role.
Desharnais-80% / I think he's been amazing when used as a 3rd line centerman, and had he stayed in that role, he'd certainly deserve a higher grade. But that's out of his control, I suppose. Overall, I think he proved his worth and provides good depth to the team.
Fleischmann-75% / Was great earlier in the season, cooled off after the line juggling experiments. Can't really complain nonetheless.
Weise-80% / Chipping in offensively, underrated offensive skills. Great bottom 6 guy.
Mitchell-95% / Best 4th line center we've had in years.
Byron-85% / Good role player, although I'd prefer Andrighetto or Hudon instead of him on any of the top 3 lines' wings.
Flynn-80% / Surprisingly skilled for a role player. Still a bit too much vanilla to my liking, but he's been more than adequate in his role.
Smith-Pelly-80% / Really liked what I saw of him prior to his injury. From out of shape and slow to deceptively quick and great hustle in chip-and-chase plays, he has that power-forward mentality that could prove to be useful eventually.

Coach MT- 65% / On and off. Started off great and I had very little to complain about in the first couple of months. The way he managed the line-up following Gallagher's injury made me turn sour on him. Needs to give more leash to younger players, and consequently needs to learn to nurture the offensive side of the game of our young skilled players rather than systematically try to coach it out of their game.

Uncle Gary

Apr 12, 2014
Goalies:

Price-95% He is Carey Price

Condon-75% Started great but had a very bad stretch that cost us games. Been great recently.

Tokarski-55% He's not good.

Defense:

Subban-80% 1 goal is pretty ridiculous at this point and he misses the net a ton. Been reliable on D though and has made some good plays. I'm a big PK fan but I expect more for $9 million

Markov-75% Slowing down as expected. His speed is a big problem.

Petry-87% Really glad we locked this guy up. Great on D, and his speed really helps.

Emelin-72% Brings physicality but not much else.

Beaulieu-85% Great skater, glad he is getting the chance to play big minutes.

Gilbert-60% Really don't like the way he plays.

Pateryn-77% Brings everything Emelin does but is younger and cheaper. Should be in the lineup.

Barberio-75% Takes a lot of risky chances but has good speed. Surprised Therrien likes him.

Tinordi- Hasn't really been given a chance, probably never will.

Forwards:

Pacioretty-80% Yes he has points. I just don't like the way he is playing this year.

Plekanec-75% Has been inconsistent. Not sure if I like him making $6 million a year.

Gallagher-97% Overall fantastic. Can't ask for anything more.

Galchenyuk-88% Producing well for 3rd line minutes. Looks very engaged on the ice. Easily the most talented forward on this team.

Eller-70% 3rd line C trying to play W. Doesn't produce any offence but is reliable defensively.

Desharnais-60% The way Therrien uses him makes me hate the player. Seems lazy and doesn't deserve half the opportunities he gets.

Fleischmann-73% Been decent.

Weise-75% Has been a good 3rd liner.

Mitchell-80% Reliable 4th liner.

Byron-75% Good waiver pickup.

Flynn-75% Great on the draw.

Smith-Pelly-70% Meh.

Carr-85% One of the only guys who really seems to be trying.

Andrighetto-78% Should be in lineup with good players.

Lafleurs Guy

Guuuuuuuy!
Jul 20, 2007
Goalies:

Price-100%-Pretty much outstanding. Can't ask for more - except maybe for a quick recovery?
Condon-75%-He's been as good as can be expected.

Defense:

Subban-80%-He's been okay. Goal slump has hurt his numbers. Sht Pctg of 1 percent won't continue all year. Capable of more.
Markov-70%-I can hear the knees creaking. Also dropped off massively when removed from Subban. Might be sulking.
Petry-80%-He's been okay.
Emelin-65%-Brutal when he came back.
Beaulieu-75%-Was hoping for more. Hasn't been bad but I think he's capable of being a lot better than he's been.
Gilbert, Patyeryn, Barberio- Doesn't qualify for rating

Forwards:

Pacioretty-70%-Streaky as always. Was hoping for more effort during the slump. His lack of leadership this season bothers me.
Plekanec-65%-Where has he been?
Gallagher-100%-Like Price, I can't ask for more. He's been great.
Galchenyuk-85%-I'd rate him higher but he struggled to find the net to start the year. He's been lights out for a while though and has been our best forward by far as of late.
Eller-75%-Isn't a 2nd line LW. Better served as 3rd line center.
Desharnais-75%-Started great but has been eaten alive lately. Never should've been on 1st line. Has been better overall than I thought he'd be.
Fleischmann-80%-Better than I expected. Has cooled off but still a good pickup.
Weise-75%-Overused. But with the lack of depth on RW... Insane shooting pctg at start of year was never going to last.
Mitchell-80%-Good work on 4th
Byron-80%-Nice winter classic game
Flynn-80%-Good enough.
Smith-Pelly-70%-Not making me any happier about dealing away Sekac
Carr-90%-Has been a silver lining in a very dark cloud and looks like he may have found a permanent home with us.
Andrighetto-85%-Coach deserves an F for how he's used this guy.

Coach: 75% - Last year it would've been 0%. He's improved massively systems wise. Roster mgmt appeared better to start this year as well but he's back to his old tricks. Anyways, it's nice to see us with good possession numbers for once.

GM: 60%. He bought some patience from me with all the depth moves he made. Now we've seen them come to an early fruition... Kassian and Semin are gone. Flash started great and has come back to earth. We haven't done anything to address our need for a top scoring winger and Petry remains his only significant contribution to this team apart from the draft.

We need a lot more from this GM! Here's hoping he steps it up before the deadline passes.

Demon Wolf

Feb 22, 2013
I think both Subban and Markov are playing worse away from each other. Not a knock against Beaulieu who's been doing well with more minutes.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
Goalies:

Price-100%-Pretty much outstanding. Can't ask for more - except maybe for a quick recovery?
Condon-75%-He's been as good as can be expected.

Defense:

Subban-80%-He's been okay. Goal slump has hurt his numbers. Sht Pctg of 1 percent won't continue all year. Capable of more.
Markov-70%-I can hear the knees creaking. Also dropped off massively when removed from Subban. Might be sulking.
Petry-80%-He's been okay.
Emelin-65%-Brutal when he came back.
Beaulieu-75%-Was hoping for more. Hasn't been bad but I think he's capable of being a lot better than he's been.
Gilbert, Patyeryn, Barberio- Doesn't qualify for rating

Forwards:

Pacioretty-70%-Streaky as always. Was hoping for more effort during the slump. His lack of leadership this season bothers me.
Plekanec-65%-Where has he been?
Gallagher-100%-Like Price, I can't ask for more. He's been great.
Galchenyuk-85%-I'd rate him higher but he struggled to find the net to start the year. He's been lights out for a while though and has been our best forward by far as of late.
Eller-75%-Isn't a 2nd line LW. Better served as 3rd line center.
Desharnais-75%-Started great but has been eaten alive lately. Never should've been on 1st line. Has been better overall than I thought he'd be.
Fleischmann-80%-Better than I expected. Has cooled off but still a good pickup.
Weise-75%-Overused. But with the lack of depth on RW... Insane shooting pctg at start of year was never going to last.
Mitchell-80%-Good work on 4th
Byron-80%-Nice winter classic game
Flynn-80%-Good enough.
Smith-Pelly-70%-Not making me any happier about dealing away Sekac
Carr-90%-Has been a silver lining in a very dark cloud and looks like he may have found a permanent home with us.
Andrighetto-85%-Coach deserves an F for how he's used this guy.

Coach: 75% - Last year it would've been 0%. He's improved massively systems wise. Roster mgmt appeared better to start this year as well but he's back to his old tricks. Anyways, it's nice to see us with good possession numbers for once.

GM: 60%. He bought some patience from me with all the depth moves he made. Now we've seen them come to an early fruition... Kassian and Semin are gone. Flash started great and has come back to earth. We haven't done anything to address our need for a top scoring winger and Petry remains his only significant contribution to this team apart from the draft.

We need a lot more from this GM! Here's hoping he steps it up before the deadline passes.

this is probably the most realistic grades in this thread, well done

However, if DSP isn't making you any happier about dealing away Sekac, perhaps you should take a look at what Sekac has done (or hasn't done) since moving to Anaheim.

As I said at the time of that trade, that was a trade of a fringe NHL player for another fringe NHL player....Sekac probably has 1 foot out of the NHL at this point, he's righ on track for a KHL return in 2017

Habs13

Dec 30, 2004
Montreal
Goalies:

Price - 95%
Condon - 75%
Tokarski - 60%
Scrivens - 60%

Defense:

Subban -74% (389% off ice)
Markov -73%
Petry - 81%
Emelin - 77%
Beaulieu - 78%
Gilbert - 60%
Pateryn - 68%
Barberio - 61%
Tinordi - 68%

Forwards:

Pacioretty - 74%
Plekanec - 66%
Gallagher - 84%
Galchenyuk - 80%
Eller - 76%
Desharnais - 59%
Fleischmann - 69%
Weise - 72%
Mitchell - 74%
Byron - 63%
Flynn - 64%
Smith-Pelly - 68%
Carr - 74%
Andrighetto - 76%

Therrien - 34%
Bergevin - 42%

Last edited:

cave troll

Oct 9, 2013
Croatia
Goalies:

Price-95% - never in doubt
Condon-80% - started good, destroyed during december, starting to regain form
Tokarski-60% - good riddance
Scrivens-65% - under .900

Defense:

Subban-90% - scoring slump, but still our D leader
Markov-70% - started good then the age took its toll
Petry-85% - reliable
Emelin-65% - 2 games incredibly good then 10 games our usual overpayed pylon
Beaulieu-80% - solid season
Gilbert-75% - solid before injury
Pateryn-75% - good when playing 6th D-man minutes
Barberio-80% - biggest surprise..i hope it'll last
Tinordi-50% - bust

Forwards:

Pacioretty-70% - streaky..expected more from our C
Plekanec-70% - disappeared from the ice last 15-20 games
Gallagher-100% - at 100% from his first NHL game and still rolling
Galchenyuk-85% - playing better then previous season. lacks linemates
Eller- 60% - lost in time and space, overpayed
Desharnais-70% when he is on 3rd line 80%, when he is in 1st line 60%, overpayed
Fleischmann-70%- started good even on PK and the slump hits and he is invisible
Weise 90% - Dutch Gretzky biggest surprise, his injury crippled us
Mitchell-70% - solid 4th liner
Byron-75% - better than expected
Flynn-70% - grinding just like he's payed
Smith-Pelly-65% - i'm dissapointed
Carr-85% - much better then expected
Andrighetto-70% - good in first few games, then business as usual
Hudon- 70% - just like Andrigehtto

Coach MT : 75% - 5% better grade because of our unreal injury count
GM MB: 70% - we entered the season without a real NHL goalie backup, he puts all in on Price and loses. incapable to get us a real Top6 winger

Habs100

Nov 6, 2013

However, if DSP isn't making you any happier about dealing away Sekac, perhaps you should take a look at what Sekac has done (or hasn't done) since moving to Anaheim.

As I said at the time of that trade, that was a trade of a fringe NHL player for another fringe NHL player....Sekac probably has 1 foot out of the NHL at this point, he's righ on track for a KHL return in 2017

I don't care what the numbers say. I saw with my own eyes that Sekac can play the game when he was here. He's only 23 and adjusting to the NHL (he's only played 88 career NHL games). Remember how bad Streit was at the beginning? Sekac is at worst a solid 3rd liner and excellent 4th liner. He should have a long NHL career.

DSP may have a very short NHL career. He brings a good physical game and work ethic. But his lack of mobility makes it hard for him to change directions and keep up with the play. In the d-zone, he's often slow to get to the boards to clear the puck, or slow to cover the point men. In the o-zone because he doesn't have good hands, he's very limited.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal

The grades aren't reflecting the reality of today.
I hate to give grades when we are in the midst of such utter failure.
So although I agree with them in general for the first 20 games or so. We absolutely need a completely new set of grades to reflect the present and that will be hard to do until the bleeding stops.
The overall marks are good enough to have a team in first place and we are no longer that team.

BBQ Chicken Alert!
Feb 20, 2003
Ottawa
I don't care what the numbers say. I saw with my own eyes that Sekac can play the game when he was here. He's only 23 and adjusting to the NHL (he's only played 88 career NHL games). Remember how bad Streit was at the beginning? Sekac is at worst a solid 3rd liner and excellent 4th liner. He should have a long NHL career.

DSP may have a very short NHL career. He brings a good physical game and work ethic. But his lack of mobility makes it hard for him to change directions and keep up with the play. In the d-zone, he's often slow to get to the boards to clear the puck, or slow to cover the point men. In the o-zone because he doesn't have good hands, he's very limited.

sekac is NOT a solid 3rd or 4th liner, not sure who you're talking about here, but it's not Sekac...he's more likely to be back in the KHL than become a solid 3rd line player in the NHL

As for DSP, he's in the same boat as Sekac for me, 2 fringe NHL players.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
GOLIES

Carey Price
100%
He's the best in the game and that's not even debatable in my mind. I deeply regret thinking Carey Price couldn't handle Montreal. Back in the day, I saw him break down in the locker rooms and I saw weak goals every night. Maturity, development, and Waite have helped Price go where not many go. He is the greatest goalie on the planet today. PS. Before someone asks - Yes, I think Halak is still a fantastic goalie who is extremely injury prone. He's not even close to being on the level of Carey Price, despite still being one of the best goalies in the game when healthy.

Can he be better? Get that GAA under 2.00, you bum! :biglaugh:

Mike Condon
80%
He's still in the top-20 for wins, Top-30 for GAA, and just outside for SV%, despite having played less games than most goalies. He had an awful December, but so did the whole team - and our coach didn't help him out by crapping all over him. He's got a good head on his shoulders and it's nice to see him rebound so well after everyone counted him out.

He's exceeded my expectations. Partially with many great games and partially because he was forced into a starter's role. He's been fantastic lately. He's a rookie on a team that's not playing all that well and he's managed to hit the Top-20 in wins, despite playing 6 or 7 less games than most guys. He's been fantastic when you look at the big picture.

Ben Scrivens
70%
Thought he's played better than his stats show, but it's only two games.

DEFENSE

PK Subban
80%
He's been okay. I think this is quite possibly one of his worst seasons as a professional hockey player, but he's still on pace for over 50 points, while being a large "plus" player, and having a shooting percentage that can only go up. But just watching him play - you see the creativity drained out of him. He's turned into a soldier and I'm not sure that's the right thing for him.

I expected this to be a breakout year for PK. I expected this to be as good or better than Norris season and honestly... I'm seeing a season that has disappointed me, despite his stats. Probably because I know the player he could be and the player he's becoming. It's quite sad.

Andrei Markov
70%
It's so hard to tell what's up with Markov. Speed hasn't been apart of his game in years, and while you can see him getting slower which hurts his game somewhat - he's always been a great player because of how smart he is. You don't just lose that overnight and Markov has. I have no idea what the issue is. Maybe he doesn't like the coach, maybe he's just coasting, or maybe he really is close to being done.

The sad thing with that is he's still one of our best defenseman. We don't have a lot in the shoot because Therrien likes to bench the kids after one mistake, publicly shame them, and not play them for months at a time. Not that Markov has regressed that far quite yet, but it's discouraging.

All in all, Markov hasn't been bad. He's slowly down though and that's a concern. But he's still on pace for 40 points while being a minutes eater.

Jeff Petry
89%
Far and away our best defenseman this year, in my opinion. I honestly wouldn't have had anything bad to say about him until the past month. He's on pace for a career year, he's eating quality minutes, and he's just such a smart hockey player.

The last month.. he's been pretty bad, actually. But it wasn't until after the injury. I feel like he was rushed back immediately because of our slump. And I don't think he was ready. And look, low and behold he's out again. Hopefully he comes back 100% healthy because he's just an incredible defenseman.

Alexei Emelin
58%
I thought he was okay before his injury, but since he's came back he's been atrocious. I'm not sure if players just weren't going to the outside on him before his injury, but it's happening 10 times more often every night that players just walk by him on the outside. I'm pretty sure Markov and his tortoise legs could beat Emelin to the outside.

He's always positioned badly and not only is he not a $4M player, I'm not sure I'd even have him on the team if I had a choice. I honestly believe he's probably 8th on my depth chart right now, and I'd rather play Tinordi than him anyway because even if Tinordi doesn't develop.. we have 7 defenseman better than Emelin right now.

It sucks because before his injury a couple seasons ago, I was really excited about Emelin. He looked so good. Then he got injured long-term and still managed to lock-up a long-term contract - something we weren't willing to give to PK Subban, haha. Sure the situations were a bit different, but I don't care. Emelin is not a good hockey player - at least in the NHL.

Nathan Beaulieu
75%
At times I see a defenseman that could be a Top-2 guy night in and night out. And then he has a game like he had last night and I remember that he's got a lot of developing left to do. The good thing is you can see the very good. The bad thing is that he's shuffled up and down the line-up constantly and hasn't been able to build on anything. At least he's player unlike some of our other young guys.

He's a solid Top-4 at this point, but I still expect a bit more. And more consistency is a must.

Tom Gilbert
65%
He's decent. His offensive game is completely gone and he's going to make one or two really dumb mistakes a game. But he'll also make good plays every night. The thing with Gilbert is that he's always going to be noticed on the ice because he's always doing something. Either something good or something really bad.

And hey, he's better than Emelin.

Mark Barberio
80%
Completely satisfied so far with what we've seen. But it's a small sample size and I'm not going to get too excited, especially since he's not playing a lot every game. But he's been better than expected!

Greg Pateryn
72%
So disappointing. He's been so good since being called up to the league whether he eats minutes or just plays a small amount of shifts. He's been great, in my mind. And he was very good the first couple times he drew into the line-up. But he's making non-Pateryn mistakes the last few times he's drawn in. And what do you expect, he might as well be playing in a rec league because he never plays. He's still shown signs of his great play early in the year, but it's just getting worse and worse. And I really hate Therrien for it. Especially last night. He made an awful mistake.. and then gets benched. Grow up, Therrien - the guy is playing scared because you treat him like an ECHL'er.

Jarred Tinordi
65%
Who?

Honestly, he looked good his first (or was it second?) game. I was shocked considering how little he's played. But he got worse and worse and he was pretty bad in his last game. Not really fair to rate him considering he's played like 12 seconds this season. No idea what we're doing with this kid. Kind of a joke the way he's been handled.

FORWARDS

Max Pacioretty
75%
He's been... eh. He's producing alright (a lot of empty net points, I think), but I really thought being named Captain of the Montreal Canadiens would light a fire under him. Instead, I think I'm seeing a worse version of playoff Pacioretty. He's a little bit better when he plays with Gallagher (who wouldn't be), but his effort level is honestly a disgrace. Hey Max, try going to a corner. He'll still score goals, but I expected more leadership, especially by example.

Tomas Plekanec
76%
Like Subban, he's been weird. He started off the season well, but he's been kind of absent lately. He's scored 1 or 2 goals in what - 20 games? The thing is, he's actually on pace for a better season than last year (by 1 point) and the third best season of his career. He's kind of just been a ghost, really. He hasn't been particularly bad but he hasn't really been standout either. Silently producing.

Still, with his extension - I want more.

Brendan Gallagher
100%
Our MVP. Would battle with Price likely if he was around, but Gallagher has by far been our best player. He's so important to this team. I'm not going to say much about Gallagher except that this man should wear the C on his chest because he is the only one who plays like he cares every single time he's on the ice.

Alex Galchenyuk
82%
Our best forward aside from Gallagher this season. His production is a little low (on pace for 51-points), but he hasn't been graced with the best linemates. His line struggled out of the gate, which I wouldn't blame on Galchenyuk but it lowered his ice-time. His overall ice-time is low for the season, but he's still getting enough minutes that I'd hope for a little better production.

One way for Galchenyuk to increase his production by himself is by learning to hit the net. He misses the net so damn much. I know he's trying to pick corners, but at some point he needs to just hit the net. It's really frustrating because I honestly think hitting the net would lead to a lot more points for Chucky. Maybe I'm seeing things but it feels like he misses the net more than any forward on the club.

Lars Eller
72%
He's a fantastic possession player. He works hard on the forecheck and he's good at keeping the puck. I see lots of people saying he's better as a 3rd line centre, but I don't agree. I think he's the small player wherever he plays. It's too bad he doesn't have as much vision as many hoped because he's very good at controlling the puck. The problem is he ends up turning it over without finding a play and that kind of sucks.

He chips in offensively as well though and he's pretty decent defensively. He's in the perfect spot right now on the 3rd line. Don't really care if he's a centre or a winger, but he's fine where he is.

David Desharnais
75%
Fantastic to start the season. Used in a good way, even when he started getting 2nd line minutes - it was well deserved. The problem is when the production dried up, which wasn't unexpected, is that he got promoted instead of sliding back down to the 3rd line spot. Worst of all, he took his linemate with him who should never be outside of the Top-9. He was used wrong, which wasn't his fault and his game changed. He wasn't playing well, but he was back to the tunnel vision he used to have. You have to think it's a coaching thing because as soon as he goes back down, he starts to play better again. Even during bad games, you see him working hard when he's on the 2nd or 3rd line. His ice-time needs to go down a bit, I think 14-15 minutes is ideal.

I think Desharnais and Fleischmann were a much better match than Weise was. For some reason Therrien thinks DD and Weise made that line work, and I think it was the other way. I hope to see DD play with Flash for an extended time again.

Tomas Fleischmann
78%
A little annoyed that he's scratched. Yeah, he hasn't produced much lately but his partnership with DD was great. And he's still a smart hockey player that usually doesn't cost us points. I really like Flash and was hoping to see him back next year, but I have a feeling he won't be seeing much ice-time for the rest of the season. And that's unfortunate because I think he's a very good player on the 3rd line.

Dale Weise
72%
The guy had a phenomenal start to the season. But a lot of it was luck. He's had better set-ups in the second half of the season and missed them all. His time spent on the 1st line is more mind-boggling than Desharnais being promoted. Dale Weise is, for all intents and purposes, a grinder. He's a grinder with a bit more offensive talent than most - so 3rd line usage isn't out of line. Playing on the 1st line and 1st PP wave though? What a joke. He also seemed to believe that he was a finesse player because his defensive game and physical game went down the toilet in the second half of the season to this point.

All in all, he's been pretty good though. But he's always the worst player on his line. And that's unfortunate because he could be the best 4th liner in the NHL.

Torrey Mitchell
78%
Great start to the season. More than meeting expectations. He's a very good player if used as a 4th line and spare forward.

Paul Byron
80%
A little overused. Last night he had more ice-time than Gallagher. What?

But he's been great. He's fantastic on the PK, he works hard all the time, and he throws his (little) body around all-game long. His speed makes teams sit back because he can get in behind anyone in a heartbeat. I'm very happy with this pick-up.

Brian Flynn
79%
Slightly better than Torrey Mitchell. He does the little things right. There's nothing you can complain about of Flynn taking up 10 minutes a night and chipping in offensively. Enjoyed his game.

Devante Smith-Pelly
69%
I liked his start to the season (but most players are included there), but since he's been pretty weak. I haven't really noticed him other than a few bad penalties. I really am not a huge fan. Post-trade Sekac and DSP aren't very good players. Pre-trade Sekac was a very solid 3rd liner. Then again, that just might show you that what Sekac was doing here wasn't sustainable in the Western Conference.

Daniel Carr
85%
He's like a mini-Gallagher. Hopefully he continues to progress as such because you can never have enough Gallagher-like players. The good thing with Carr is that he doesn't have a troll smile, so the referees may not end up hating him. :laugh:

He's been very good. He was one guy I wasn't 100% sold on being able to grind out an NHL career, but now I'm pretty sure he's going to be an NHL player. The question now is Top-6, Top-9, or 4th liner?

Sven Andrighetto
85%
**** you, Therrien.

Michael McCarron
62%
Not ready, but the promise is there in a big way.

Charles Hudon
75%
2 games, 2 points. Not much more you could ask for in limited ice-time. I like what I saw, but I wish he was a little stronger. Hopefully he gets an extended look at some point.

Bud Holloway
68%
Didn't get enough ice-time - but I thought he was solid. Had a couple nice cycles and possession shifts. I'd love to see him get an extended look before we lose him.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
Goalies:

Price-95%
Condon-80%
Tokarski-40%
Scrivens-75%

Defense:

Subban-90%
Markov-70%
Petry-70%
Emelin-70%
Beaulieu-75%
Gilbert-65%
Pateryn-70%
Barberio-80%

Forwards:

Pacioretty-55%
Plekanec-65%
Gallagher-95%
Galchenyuk-85%
Eller-65%
Desharnais-70%
Fleischmann-70%
Weise-80%
Mitchell-75%
Byron-80%
Flynn-70%
Smith-Pelly-60%
Carr-85%
Andrighetto-70%
Semin-65%

BOLD = PROBLEM

shawdowmaker

Dec 20, 2011
Montreal
Goalies:

Price-90%
Condon- 78%
Tokarski- 59%
Scrivens-75%

Defense:

Subban- 85%
Markov-82%
Petry-79%
Emelin-72%
Beaulieu-73%
Gilbert-74%
Pateryn-71%
Tinordi- 55%
Barberio-80%

Forwards:

Pacioretty-84%
Plekanec-82%
Gallagher-88%
Galchenyuk-83%
Eller-65%
Desharnais-74%
Fleischmann-72%
Weise-73%
Mitchell-73%
Byron-74%
Flynn-63%
Smith-Pelly-61%
Carr-77%
Andrighetto-71%
Semin- 63%

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
I don't get how anyone can rate Pacioretty better than Subban

He has 17 goals, Subban 1. Someone has underachieved, and the numbers suggest that it isn't Pacioretty. If Subban were more productive than he has been the Habs just might be a bit higher in the standings. Subban does rank high in philanthropy, though.

Teufelsdreck

Sep 17, 2005
GOLIES

Carey Price
100%
He's the best in the game and that's not even debatable in my mind. I deeply regret thinking Carey Price couldn't handle Montreal. Back in the day, I saw him break down in the locker rooms and I saw weak goals every night. Maturity, development, and Waite have helped Price go where not many go. He is the greatest goalie on the planet today. PS. Before someone asks - Yes, I think Halak is still a fantastic goalie who is extremely injury prone. He's not even close to being on the level of Carey Price, despite still being one of the best goalies in the game when healthy.

Can he be better? Get that GAA under 2.00, you bum! :biglaugh:

Mike Condon
80%
He's still in the top-20 for wins, Top-30 for GAA, and just outside for SV%, despite having played less games than most goalies. He had an awful December, but so did the whole team - and our coach didn't help him out by crapping all over him. He's got a good head on his shoulders and it's nice to see him rebound so well after everyone counted him out.

He's exceeded my expectations. Partially with many great games and partially because he was forced into a starter's role. He's been fantastic lately. He's a rookie on a team that's not playing all that well and he's managed to hit the Top-20 in wins, despite playing 6 or 7 less games than most guys. He's been fantastic when you look at the big picture.

Ben Scrivens
70%
Thought he's played better than his stats show, but it's only two games.

DEFENSE

PK Subban
80%
He's been okay. I think this is quite possibly one of his worst seasons as a professional hockey player, but he's still on pace for over 50 points, while being a large "plus" player, and having a shooting percentage that can only go up. But just watching him play - you see the creativity drained out of him. He's turned into a soldier and I'm not sure that's the right thing for him.

I expected this to be a breakout year for PK. I expected this to be as good or better than Norris season and honestly... I'm seeing a season that has disappointed me, despite his stats. Probably because I know the player he could be and the player he's becoming. It's quite sad.

Andrei Markov
70%
It's so hard to tell what's up with Markov. Speed hasn't been apart of his game in years, and while you can see him getting slower which hurts his game somewhat - he's always been a great player because of how smart he is. You don't just lose that overnight and Markov has. I have no idea what the issue is. Maybe he doesn't like the coach, maybe he's just coasting, or maybe he really is close to being done.

The sad thing with that is he's still one of our best defenseman. We don't have a lot in the shoot because Therrien likes to bench the kids after one mistake, publicly shame them, and not play them for months at a time. Not that Markov has regressed that far quite yet, but it's discouraging.

All in all, Markov hasn't been bad. He's slowly down though and that's a concern. But he's still on pace for 40 points while being a minutes eater.

Jeff Petry
89%
Far and away our best defenseman this year, in my opinion. I honestly wouldn't have had anything bad to say about him until the past month. He's on pace for a career year, he's eating quality minutes, and he's just such a smart hockey player.

The last month.. he's been pretty bad, actually. But it wasn't until after the injury. I feel like he was rushed back immediately because of our slump. And I don't think he was ready. And look, low and behold he's out again. Hopefully he comes back 100% healthy because he's just an incredible defenseman.

Alexei Emelin
58%
I thought he was okay before his injury, but since he's came back he's been atrocious. I'm not sure if players just weren't going to the outside on him before his injury, but it's happening 10 times more often every night that players just walk by him on the outside. I'm pretty sure Markov and his tortoise legs could beat Emelin to the outside.

He's always positioned badly and not only is he not a $4M player, I'm not sure I'd even have him on the team if I had a choice. I honestly believe he's probably 8th on my depth chart right now, and I'd rather play Tinordi than him anyway because even if Tinordi doesn't develop.. we have 7 defenseman better than Emelin right now.

It sucks because before his injury a couple seasons ago, I was really excited about Emelin. He looked so good. Then he got injured long-term and still managed to lock-up a long-term contract - something we weren't willing to give to PK Subban, haha. Sure the situations were a bit different, but I don't care. Emelin is not a good hockey player - at least in the NHL.

Nathan Beaulieu
75%
At times I see a defenseman that could be a Top-2 guy night in and night out. And then he has a game like he had last night and I remember that he's got a lot of developing left to do. The good thing is you can see the very good. The bad thing is that he's shuffled up and down the line-up constantly and hasn't been able to build on anything. At least he's player unlike some of our other young guys.

He's a solid Top-4 at this point, but I still expect a bit more. And more consistency is a must.

Tom Gilbert
65%
He's decent. His offensive game is completely gone and he's going to make one or two really dumb mistakes a game. But he'll also make good plays every night. The thing with Gilbert is that he's always going to be noticed on the ice because he's always doing something. Either something good or something really bad.

And hey, he's better than Emelin.

Mark Barberio
80%
Completely satisfied so far with what we've seen. But it's a small sample size and I'm not going to get too excited, especially since he's not playing a lot every game. But he's been better than expected!

Greg Pateryn
72%
So disappointing. He's been so good since being called up to the league whether he eats minutes or just plays a small amount of shifts. He's been great, in my mind. And he was very good the first couple times he drew into the line-up. But he's making non-Pateryn mistakes the last few times he's drawn in. And what do you expect, he might as well be playing in a rec league because he never plays. He's still shown signs of his great play early in the year, but it's just getting worse and worse. And I really hate Therrien for it. Especially last night. He made an awful mistake.. and then gets benched. Grow up, Therrien - the guy is playing scared because you treat him like an ECHL'er.

Jarred Tinordi
65%
Who?

Honestly, he looked good his first (or was it second?) game. I was shocked considering how little he's played. But he got worse and worse and he was pretty bad in his last game. Not really fair to rate him considering he's played like 12 seconds this season. No idea what we're doing with this kid. Kind of a joke the way he's been handled.

FORWARDS

Max Pacioretty
75%
He's been... eh. He's producing alright (a lot of empty net points, I think), but I really thought being named Captain of the Montreal Canadiens would light a fire under him. Instead, I think I'm seeing a worse version of playoff Pacioretty. He's a little bit better when he plays with Gallagher (who wouldn't be), but his effort level is honestly a disgrace. Hey Max, try going to a corner. He'll still score goals, but I expected more leadership, especially by example.

Tomas Plekanec
76%
Like Subban, he's been weird. He started off the season well, but he's been kind of absent lately. He's scored 1 or 2 goals in what - 20 games? The thing is, he's actually on pace for a better season than last year (by 1 point) and the third best season of his career. He's kind of just been a ghost, really. He hasn't been particularly bad but he hasn't really been standout either. Silently producing.

Still, with his extension - I want more.

Brendan Gallagher
100%
Our MVP. Would battle with Price likely if he was around, but Gallagher has by far been our best player. He's so important to this team. I'm not going to say much about Gallagher except that this man should wear the C on his chest because he is the only one who plays like he cares every single time he's on the ice.

Alex Galchenyuk
82%
Our best forward aside from Gallagher this season. His production is a little low (on pace for 51-points), but he hasn't been graced with the best linemates. His line struggled out of the gate, which I wouldn't blame on Galchenyuk but it lowered his ice-time. His overall ice-time is low for the season, but he's still getting enough minutes that I'd hope for a little better production.

One way for Galchenyuk to increase his production by himself is by learning to hit the net. He misses the net so damn much. I know he's trying to pick corners, but at some point he needs to just hit the net. It's really frustrating because I honestly think hitting the net would lead to a lot more points for Chucky. Maybe I'm seeing things but it feels like he misses the net more than any forward on the club.

Lars Eller
72%
He's a fantastic possession player. He works hard on the forecheck and he's good at keeping the puck. I see lots of people saying he's better as a 3rd line centre, but I don't agree. I think he's the small player wherever he plays. It's too bad he doesn't have as much vision as many hoped because he's very good at controlling the puck. The problem is he ends up turning it over without finding a play and that kind of sucks.

He chips in offensively as well though and he's pretty decent defensively. He's in the perfect spot right now on the 3rd line. Don't really care if he's a centre or a winger, but he's fine where he is.

David Desharnais
75%
Fantastic to start the season. Used in a good way, even when he started getting 2nd line minutes - it was well deserved. The problem is when the production dried up, which wasn't unexpected, is that he got promoted instead of sliding back down to the 3rd line spot. Worst of all, he took his linemate with him who should never be outside of the Top-9. He was used wrong, which wasn't his fault and his game changed. He wasn't playing well, but he was back to the tunnel vision he used to have. You have to think it's a coaching thing because as soon as he goes back down, he starts to play better again. Even during bad games, you see him working hard when he's on the 2nd or 3rd line. His ice-time needs to go down a bit, I think 14-15 minutes is ideal.

I think Desharnais and Fleischmann were a much better match than Weise was. For some reason Therrien thinks DD and Weise made that line work, and I think it was the other way. I hope to see DD play with Flash for an extended time again.

Tomas Fleischmann
78%
A little annoyed that he's scratched. Yeah, he hasn't produced much lately but his partnership with DD was great. And he's still a smart hockey player that usually doesn't cost us points. I really like Flash and was hoping to see him back next year, but I have a feeling he won't be seeing much ice-time for the rest of the season. And that's unfortunate because I think he's a very good player on the 3rd line.

Dale Weise
72%
The guy had a phenomenal start to the season. But a lot of it was luck. He's had better set-ups in the second half of the season and missed them all. His time spent on the 1st line is more mind-boggling than Desharnais being promoted. Dale Weise is, for all intents and purposes, a grinder. He's a grinder with a bit more offensive talent than most - so 3rd line usage isn't out of line. Playing on the 1st line and 1st PP wave though? What a joke. He also seemed to believe that he was a finesse player because his defensive game and physical game went down the toilet in the second half of the season to this point.

All in all, he's been pretty good though. But he's always the worst player on his line. And that's unfortunate because he could be the best 4th liner in the NHL.

Torrey Mitchell
78%
Great start to the season. More than meeting expectations. He's a very good player if used as a 4th line and spare forward.

Paul Byron
80%
A little overused. Last night he had more ice-time than Gallagher. What?

But he's been great. He's fantastic on the PK, he works hard all the time, and he throws his (little) body around all-game long. His speed makes teams sit back because he can get in behind anyone in a heartbeat. I'm very happy with this pick-up.

Brian Flynn
79%
Slightly better than Torrey Mitchell. He does the little things right. There's nothing you can complain about of Flynn taking up 10 minutes a night and chipping in offensively. Enjoyed his game.

Devante Smith-Pelly
69%
I liked his start to the season (but most players are included there), but since he's been pretty weak. I haven't really noticed him other than a few bad penalties. I really am not a huge fan. Post-trade Sekac and DSP aren't very good players. Pre-trade Sekac was a very solid 3rd liner. Then again, that just might show you that what Sekac was doing here wasn't sustainable in the Western Conference.

Daniel Carr
85%
He's like a mini-Gallagher. Hopefully he continues to progress as such because you can never have enough Gallagher-like players. The good thing with Carr is that he doesn't have a troll smile, so the referees may not end up hating him. :laugh:

He's been very good. He was one guy I wasn't 100% sold on being able to grind out an NHL career, but now I'm pretty sure he's going to be an NHL player. The question now is Top-6, Top-9, or 4th liner?

Sven Andrighetto
85%
**** you, Therrien.

Michael McCarron
62%
Not ready, but the promise is there in a big way.

Charles Hudon
75%
2 games, 2 points. Not much more you could ask for in limited ice-time. I like what I saw, but I wish he was a little stronger. Hopefully he gets an extended look at some point.

Bud Holloway
68%
Didn't get enough ice-time - but I thought he was solid. Had a couple nice cycles and possession shifts. I'd love to see him get an extended look before we lose him.

I love empty net goals--they imply you're winning.

expy

Nov 2, 2010
How can Desharnais be 45% and Fleischmann 70%? That makes no sense. Desharnais has 4 more points in less minutes per game...

Salary, quality ice time, linemates. DD got to play with almost everyone, gets quality minutes (PP etc.). Also his effect on the rest of the team, due to his preferential treatment, can only be seen as a negative.

LePoche69

Jul 15, 2004
Montreal
I based my percentages on what was my expectations at the start of the season, "100%" meaning "exactly what I was hoping for, or more"

Goalies:

Price - 95% - 100% would be a redux of last season, which he was almost doing.
Condon- 90%

Defense:

Subban - 85%
Markov - 65%
Petry - 75%
Emelin - 100%
Beaulieu - 65%
Gilbert - 100%
Pateryn - 50%

Forwards:

Pacioretty - 70%
Plekanec - 75%
Gallagher - 100%
Galchenyuk - 80%
Eller - 75%
Desharnais - 70%
Fleischmann - 95%
Weise - 100%
Mitchell - 100%
Byron - 100%
Flynn - 90%
Smith-Pelly - 50%
Carr - 100%
Andrighetto - 90%
Semin - 95%

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008

Holy crap, this is the pro's not kindergarten.

If it takes you 100 games to adjust to the NHL, you'll probably not be an NHLer long term. Most players get 15-20 games max to show they belong here.

Sekac is not skilled enough for an offensive role and not gritty enough to play a defensive/grinding role.

Monctonscout

Monctonscout
Jan 26, 2008
Salary, quality ice time, linemates. DD got to play with almost everyone, gets quality minutes (PP etc.). Also his effect on the rest of the team, due to his preferential treatment, can only be seen as a negative.

DD and Fleischmann usually play on the same line...except when Fleischmann played with Plekanec...he even plays more minutes than DD...15:55 vs 15:48. The salary thing is in large part due to the cap not increasing and the Canadian dollar affecting NHL finances...usual year Fleischmann is not a PTO and gets 2-3 years with guaranteed money around 2-3 mil/year minimum.

Look at 2014 with all the guys making big $$$ after the Rogers TV deal announcement...

http://www.thehockeynews.com/blog/nhl-free-agent-tracker-2014/

Guys like Perreault Pouliot etc

SnapVirus

Jul 16, 2010
Mtl., QC.
Subban : A
Markov : B
Petry : B+
Emelin : C+
Beaulieu : B+
Gilbert : C+
Barberio : B+

Plekanec : B-
Pacioretty : B-
DD : B
Eller : B-
Gallagher : A+
Galchenyuk : A
Weise : B+
Mitchell : A-
Byron : A-
DSP : C
Carr : B+
Andrighetto : B
Fleishmann : B
Flynn : C-

Price : A+
Condon : A-

Compared to their own individual standards/potential.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Goalies:

Price-100%
Condon-70%
Tokarski-0% - trade him - trade completed
Scrivens-Inconclusive

Defense:

Subban-87.25%
Markov-80%
Petry-80% (started off very strong but slowed down recently)
Emelin-50% - trade him
Beaulieu-80%
Gilbert-50% - trade him
Pateryn-70%
Barberio-75%
Tinordi-0% - trade him

Forwards:

Pacioretty-80%
Plekanec-70%
Gallagher-100%
Galchenyuk-80%
Eller-68.99%