Speculation: Habs Mega Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

JoemAvs

Jul 2, 2011
People who dont think Chariot can return a late 1st clearly dont remember the kind of trades that happens at the trade deadline.

Realistically it depends on the market..
The players last year that got a first were not worth a 1st but there was so little quality available that the teams that wanted an upgrade for the postseason bit the bullet and overpaid anyways to land them.

Who knows how the market will be.
If the likes of Lindholm and Giordano are available as well, I really don't see a 1st for Chiarot at all.
If they aren't and he is the best D available? Certainly could see a team giving up a 1st under those circumstances.

Colezuki

Apr 27, 2009
Toronto
Realistically it depends on the market..
The players last year that got a first were not worth a 1st but there was so little quality available that the teams that wanted an upgrade for the postseason bit the bullet and overpaid anyways to land them.

Who knows how the market will be.
If the likes of Lindholm and Giordano are available as well, I really don't see a 1st for Chiarot at all.
If they aren't and he is the best D available? Certainly could see a team giving up a 1st under those circumstances.
This is absolutely a fair take tbh

malcb33

Apr 10, 2005
New Zealand
Yep.

2 years ago, J. Brisebois started a trend by paying the high price for gritty players molded for the playoffs style of game.
Winning it all with this strategy (he already had talent, he needed a little grit).

NHL is a copycat league, last year TD:

- Toronto paid a 1st for Foligno
- TB paid a 1st for Savard

I think Chiarot fit perfectly in this mold, he proved it last summer.

Those are examples of a GM targeting a specific player, and paying over the market value to get their guy. Sure, a GM could target Chariot at the deadline, but IMO a 1st would be over the perceived current market value. I could see him getting something like a 2nd + an average prospect

Djp

Jul 28, 2012
Alexandria, VA
Easy and simple for a 1st at the TDL ala savard a year ago. Chariot also only makes 3.5M so he’s going to be able to fit into a lot of teams salary structure and he’s a good fit as a physical shutdown d come playoff time.

do any of these teams do it to bolster the backend
NYI - I feel they need a better D then chara
Cgy
Wpg
Phi

was thinking a team that will finish between 20-32

Saw another thread on him a few weeks ago.

he is not a 1st caliber Dman.

he’s someone who could get a 2nd/3rd+ prospect/mid round pick.

the 2nd coukd become a 1st based om laying and team make conference finals so pick us 29-32.

Kevin27NYI

Aug 5, 2009
I'm a habs fan but I have to say this. He can't run his own pairing unless he's on the third pair. I wouldn't know who you guys would pair him with but I think he would do really well with a decent 2 way D. He's really physical and pretty good defensively and he's passing is not bad either. But he can't skate with the puck and he has a terrible shot. His decision making on the blue line is average. All said and done he's a batter version of savard in almost every aspect. I think a 1st is decent value if you your team would make the finals. Besides that a 2nd and 3rd would be a good price. Just my opinion.
His partner would be Dobson style wise but we already have Greene and Chara for that role. We need a dman for Mayfield to play with that can move the puck. I don't think there is a fit here. Unless they wanted to keep Pelech and Mayfield, use Chariot with Pulock and do Dobber and Greene/Chara.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
Will he get a 1st for sure, no he may get a 2nd plus. But he certainly could get a 1st given the past couple years of gritty player getting them.

PocketNines

Cutter's Way
Apr 29, 2004
Badlands
Chiarot is a kind of player that teams want to get at the TDL for the playoff. In playoff, he's really useful and he can play big tough minutes at a really good price (Habs will probably retain 50 % of his contract so he would be at 1,8m). We got a 2nd + 4th for Scandella 2 yrs ago and Chiarot is better then him.
If we clap loud enough, Chairot is a top pairing defender eh?

Reactions: Devonator

jetsforever

Dec 14, 2013
This is one of the craziest proposals I've seen in a while. :laugh:
From Winnipeg I'd probably be more likely to pay a first just to not have Chiarot again

Reactions: Truenorthducky

Oddbob

Jan 21, 2016
Can't envision him getting you a 1st. Maybe a 2nd and very minor-average prospect.

Canadienna

Jan 27, 2015
Dew drops and rainforest
I'm not sure he gets a 1st either, but lets be real and admit he's a great piece for a team looking to make a deep playoff run.

His game is all about the playoffs. Easy way to instantly make your team tougher to play against.

He played more minutes than any other Montreal skater over the entire run to the finals last year. Just for that experience alone he will have value.

Still, he's not a flashy or well known name and a 2nd+ is more likely.

Reactions: Vachon23

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
I mean you have to justify your assertion.
1. Chiarot is not a Top Pairing DMan. Easy
2. Most contending teams have 2 LD as good or better than Chiarot.
3. Ergo in this scenario he’s being acquired to be at-best a 4D and likely on the Third Pairing.
4. A player that fits these requirements (and Ben Chiarot under any circumstances) is not worth a 1st.
5. Yet, this thread still exists.
6. Assertion satisfied rather easily.

Spearmint Rhino

Sep 17, 2013
We won’t find out as our GM/owner are anti-rebuild so will likely re-sign him to a 4x4 deal or keep him for a run at the playoffs then lose him for nothing.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
1. Chiarot is not a Top Pairing DMan. Easy
2. Most contending teams have 2 LD as good or better than Chiarot.
3. Ergo in this scenario he’s being acquired to be at-best a 4D and likely on the Third Pairing.
4. A player that fits these requirements (and Ben Chiarot under any circumstances) is not worth a 1st.
5. Yet, this thread still exists.
6. Assertion satisfied rather easily.

Top pairing d men do not get a first round pick return, but it seems that you've forgotten about the market for defencemen. Suggesting 16 teams have 2 LD better than Chiarot each is a big stretch.

SamHabsFan

Apr 6, 2016
Quebec
chiarot is better than savard, by a lot. he should fetch a 1st, but at the end of the day, it depends on the market. If giordano and lindholm are available it might be tough to get a 1st

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Zero chance Jets take Chariot never mind giving up a 1st rd pick. Chariot played with Buff and Weber……enough said. Chariot would be battling for bottom pairing on the Jets and much sooner have Stanley who has much cheaper cap hit. Easy pass

Chet Manley

Apr 15, 2007
Regina, SK
Zero chance Jets take Chariot never mind giving up a 1st rd pick. Chariot played with Buff and Weber……enough said. Chariot would be battling for bottom pairing on the Jets and much sooner have Stanley who has much cheaper cap hit. Easy pass
The Charoit we saw in the playoffs is a much better player than the one that struggled in Winnipeg. He figured out how to be hard nosed without having to take penalties to do it. Personally thought he played a big part of getting the Habs to the finals.

If someone is looking for a 2LD for the playoffs than he'll fetch a 1st.

Reactions: Flair Hay

StephenPeat

Jul 19, 2015
Top pairing d men do not get a first round pick return, but it seems that you've forgotten about the market for defencemen. Suggesting 16 teams have 2 LD better than Chiarot each is a big stretch.
Top Pairing DMen are rarely traded. Chiarot is not a Top Pairing DMan. Chiarot is not worth a 1st. If someone claims that 1st Rd Picks are over-rated, it’s hard to deny that dime-a-dozen 4-6 DMen like Chiarot (being valued at a 1st per the tenets of the thread) are not even more highly over-rated.

Here to help.

admiralcadillac

Oct 22, 2017
Top Pairing DMen are rarely traded. Chiarot is not a Top Pairing DMan. Chiarot is not worth a 1st. If someone claims that 1st Rd Picks are over-rated, it’s hard to deny that dime-a-dozen 4-6 DMen like Chiarot (being valued at a 1st per the tenets of the thread) are not even more highly over-rated.

Here to help.

I think you're misunderstanding what the market is for defencemen because top pairing d men aren't shipped for first round picks.

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
TBL always overpays to get their last piece so hard to judge off what TBL trades. So is Ben the best last piece on D fa pending?
If pens are out of the race Letang for sure is better choice. (division is so stacked hard to know who doesn't make the playoffs this year)
Giordano I think could fetch a 1 rental.
Manson over Ben too.

Savard got a 1 because the d men available just flat out stunk last year. A lot better options this year. 2 and 3 seems more likely but only takes one desperate gm.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad