Rumor: Habs made an offer for Dubois

Status
Not open for further replies.

pth2

Jan 7, 2018
Unless he can play LW, then he'd be perfect fit with Suzuki or Dach.
I could see him end up with Suzuki and Caufield, and Slaf plays with Dach, to spread skill and size around.

But I just don't see this trade happening in the short term... the Habs made an offer at the draft, presumably just before they got Dach. So the offer might have been centered on the 13th pick and roster players the Jets might want. (Anderson? Dvorak ? Who knows).

With Dubois currently a UFA, the Habs might talk to him to see how serious he is about being a Hab, and might just suggest he sign a 1 or 2 year deal and come on over as a UFA if he's serious.

Phoeling is an AHL 2C. Trash offer.
Centering a reply on the least interesting of all the pieces offered. Trash post.

TS Quint

GET THESE ADS OUT OF MY WAY!
Sep 8, 2012
I could see him end up with Suzuki and Caufield, and Slaf plays with Dach, to spread skill and size around.

But I just don't see this trade happening in the short term... the Habs made an offer at the draft, presumably just before they got Dach. So the offer might have been centered on the 13th pick and roster players the Jets might want. (Anderson? Dvorak ? Who knows).

With Dubois currently a UFA, the Habs might talk to him to see how serious he is about being a Hab, and might just suggest he sign a 1 or 2 year deal and come on over as a UFA if he's serious.

Centering a reply on the least interesting of all the pieces offered. Trash post.
what Exactly was interesting? The overpaid bottom 6 players? You can’t seriously think there was anything interesting there. Just the junk you don’t want. Typical Habs fan junk offer.

Reactions: Lorenzo1000

Hoochi Papa

Oct 17, 2020
The offer Montreal has for Dubois shouldn't be TOO good.

Montreal is in a rebuild, there's no need to be giving up young prospects or futures - especially given how good the '23 draft is projected to be, for a 24 year old old that will want a long term deal.

I dunno what Winnipeg intends on doing this season but if they're looking to be competitive they'd be taking on players with control and can play right away - Drouin, Josh Anderson would come to mind.

If Winnipeg intends on doing a rebuild, they should look for futures from the Habs but a '23 draft pick from Montreal is gonna carry a premium considering they intend to suck ass this season and I'm not sure PLD would be worthy of that premium considering he's looking to leave Winnipeg anyways.
Canadiens need someone who would be an upgrade over Suzuki. When you enter rebuilding phase, pretty good shouldn't be sufficient. If Jets were interested going pennies for a dollar deal, it's a deal worth doing but a lot depends on Dubois' salary. He'll probably demand something around 8 x 8 million which is quite a payment for 60 point 2C. Canadiens are tight on cap and Caufield needs an extension. I just don't see Dubois as a piece that would hasten the rebuild, unless Jets are willing to accept some of their awful contracts for under 0.5 P/PG wingers.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
You need a base. A low first (FL pick) won’t suffice.

Caufield and Suzuki should be untouchable. You don’t have another roster player they’d want as the base. Anderson and Dvorak aren’t even close to interesting enough for that. Dvorak is just filler.

Perhaps a quantity approach of Barron + 2023 1st FL + Mesar + Dvorak works.

Guhle can't be moved after Romanov was traded

Reactions: Kimota and amnesiac

Hunter368

RIP lomiller1, see you in the next life buddy.
Nov 8, 2011
Two Canadian teams talking trades.......it always goes well. Mod finger hovering over the infraction & delete buttons. :)

I would recommend some posters chill and calm down or your stay in this thread will be short lived.

Reactions: Viqsi

Galaxydoggystyle

Jul 4, 2019
I just don't see Dubs being traded to the Habs. The asking price is just too high and the Habs have no cap space. The perfect time to get him would either be after next season or when he hits UFA that is when a boat load of dead weight contracts are off the books.

Cosmix

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 24, 2011
Ottawa
ARTICLE TRANSLATED

In his former life as an agent, Kent Hughes was a fine negotiator. Qualities that he certainly still possesses in his position as general manager of the Canadian.

However, contrary to what one might think, a good negotiator does not necessarily imply being a good liar. For the past few days, rumors have been rife that the Canadian would eye Pierre-Luc Dubois.

"I can't talk about players from other teams. I've already been scolded for that, "said the general manager of the Canadian on Thursday when asked about his interest in the Quebec striker.

When colleague Jean-François Chaumont challenged him on the subject, Hughes smiled broadly. After biting his lip and probably turning his tongue seven times before speaking, he replied, "If we could afford to get a great established center in the NHL, for sure. we would be interested.”

However, the Canadian would have tried to get his hands on Pierre-Luc Dubois last week. A source familiar with the matter even claimed that Hughes made a very attractive offer to the Winnipeg Jets during the draft.

In his first full season with the Jets, the 24-year-old center had one of his best seasons with 60 points, including 28 goals.

A restricted free agent since July 13, Dubois has earned an annual salary of $5 million in each of the last two campaigns. We can expect him to pocket roughly the same amount. With perhaps a slight increase.

As a result, the Habs currently do not have enough room under the salary cap to make his acquisition. But if Hughes made a concrete offer to the Jets, it was because he had a plan in mind and he was confident that he could meet the limit set at $ 82.5 million for the next season.

Obviously, the departure of Jeff Petry would make things easier.

If Hughes was put off by the first question, he probably interpreted it as a sounding call about a hostile offer. Although it would be possible for the GM of the Canadian to do so, it would not be in the interest of the team to do so.

For an offer of between $4.2 million and $6.3 million, the Canadiens should give the Jets, as compensation, their first and third round picks. For the next level ($6.3 million to $8.4 million), an additional second-round pick is needed.

Compensatory picks must be returned in the next draft. As the Canadiens are likely to qualify for the Connor Bedard lottery, it's safe to assume Hughes won't be interested in giving him to the Jets.
If Montreal wants to get Dubois, they will have to offer a valuable asset, not several old declining players. The 2023 1st round pick would have to be part of it; possible NOT lottery protected.

Captain97

Jan 31, 2017
Toronto, Ontario
If Montreal wants to get Dubois, they will have to offer a valuable asset, not several old declining players. The 2023 1st round pick would have to be part of it; possible NOT lottery protected.

That's an insane ask. Habs are almost certainly a lottery team. The entire top 3 looks like franchise talent and the top 5 looks insane.

Jared Dunn

Dec 23, 2013
Yellowknife

Caufield and Suzuki should be untouchable. You don’t have another roster player they’d want as the base. Anderson and Dvorak aren’t even close to interesting enough for that. Dvorak is just filler.

If Romanov trade hadn't happened Guhle could be moved in the right trade. Guhle is about as untouchable as anyone now though unless it's for a higher upside and barely older left D which I reasonably don't see anybody trading

MarioLeMoose

Jul 15, 2022
Nah, that wont happen.
Pressure is on Winnipeg here.

Reactions: viceroy

KrakenFan92

Mar 21, 2022
Canadiens need someone who would be an upgrade over Suzuki. When you enter rebuilding phase, pretty good shouldn't be sufficient. If Jets were interested going pennies for a dollar deal, it's a deal worth doing but a lot depends on Dubois' salary. He'll probably demand something around 8 x 8 million which is quite a payment for 60 point 2C. Canadiens are tight on cap and Caufield needs an extension. I just don't see Dubois as a piece that would hasten the rebuild, unless Jets are willing to accept some of their awful contracts for under 0.5 P/PG wingers.

Canadiens will get their upgrade over Suzuki in the 2023 draft. That draft is loaded with great C prospects. Habs should not trade for PLD unless they can get him for cheap otherwise just wait for him to hit free agency and go from there.

Baksfamous112

Jul 21, 2016
TVA telling habs fans what they want to hear to generate clicks.

Dubois own agent said he wanted to play for Montreal a couple days ago. He said he was allowed to say that because Dubois has no contracts right now.

There are absolutely no chance we pay the equivalent of 4 first round picks for a guy who is 2 years away from UFA and already stated he wasn’t going to sign long term in Winnipeg.

Reactions: viceroy
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad