Post-Game Talk: Habs lose to the Sabres.. :(

Nicko999

Jan 23, 2008
Montreal
If the first line cools off a bit towards the end of the season, I want to see Roy with Suzuki and Slaf for a couple of games. It's a rebuilding year so we can afford to do that.

Reactions: Redux91

ChesterNimitz

governed by the principle of calculated risk
Jul 4, 2002
Xhekaj 1st star tonight.
The most important feature of this rather inconsequential game was the emerging presence of Xhekaj. He showed immense physicality, good lateral mobility, offensive flair and leadership. All without one fight. This kid will soon be a team leader. He may be already there.

Pazucha

Apr 3, 2023
His play making and play selection was dog shit. He passed up two or three glorious opportunities to shoot when set up perfectly. His pass attempts were telegraphed or off the mark or he missed openings he usually executes on. NOT GOOD and not what we need from him. His game took off on that line the minute he started shooting the puck without hesitation. Love the player but he's 19 and will have these games. The penalties were not good ones either he was frustrated which is why he took them not because he was aggressive.

Sorry but if I ignore the 3 penalties I don't know how you can call his game "dog shit"

Scintillating10

Jun 15, 2012
Nova Scotia
Hard to lose, especially to Sabres who haven't made playoffs in 12 years. But I guess it is good for the draft. Better to lose in regulation rather than overtime also.. makes us 1-5 since Monahan trade. Which shows his value. We were .500 team with him.

Caufield didn't look like himself, I could tell a difference in him. . He has a history with shoulder injuries. I am concerned.

waitin425

Jan 10, 2009
Canada

Hahahaha. X vs Mr. Chin Up!

We're bout to go streaking.
hello-awkward.gif

Reactions: Tyson

Sam de Mtl

Oct 11, 2021
The most important feature of this rather inconsequential game was the emerging presence of Xhekaj. He showed immense physicality, good lateral mobility, offensive flair and leadership. All without one fight. This kid will soon be a team leader. He may be already there.
Yep. It took some time, even after the AHL stint, for him to cut down on useless penalties that hurt the team and focus on playing to his strengths. He can be so much more than a scraper if he plays tough within the rules and uses his skills to impact the game. That size, skating, toughness and shot are quite an impressive package. He will be an impact player for his whole career if he can stay away from the pressbox like he did last few games and not like he did previously this season.

Reactions: Tyson

OldCraig71

Feb 2, 2009
No one cares
The team had a good first period and then Caufield had a hat trick of turnovers and the game was over. Jackeye played a really good game, the kind that he is capable of, just has to keep moving his feet. Also worth noting was the fact that none of the Sabres go near him on the boards even when his back was turned to them, which showed how much he was respected/feared by them.

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
Reminds of Souray....
Yeah, there's some 'Souray' (size and shot) in Xhekaj's game. But Abner is a far more aggressive player and has a more subtle offensive game than Souray's. I'm increasingly impressed with Xhekai's passing and on ice vision. This kid is starting to show that he is much more than just an on-ice enforcer. Much more.

Maybe we should make working at COSTCO a mandatory part of all our prospects' off-ice training regime.

Last edited:

ChesterNimitz

Jul 4, 2002
The team had a good first period and then Caufield had a hat trick of turnovers and the game was over. Jackeye played a really good game, the kind that he is capable of, just has to keep moving his feet. Also worth noting was the fact that none of the Sabres go near him on the boards even when his back was turned to them, which showed how much he was respected/feared by them.
Watch the tape of the game and see how fast the Sabres' players got rid of the puck when Xhekaj was in their area and closing. It led to multiple turn overs.

Hockey is a game of intimidation. That intimidation comes in all forms: including speed and physicality. All these high priced players would rather go home in one piece rather than have to go home peeing blood. They get paid regardless of the courage they display. Players talk. They watch videos. They know who to be wary off.

Xhekaj's reputation and intimidation will only grow. As will his accompanying level of effectiveness as wary opponents will grant him more time and space to make plays. And he doesn't have to throw one punch. All it takes is Xhekaj to lose one fight and poof! he loses that aura of physical invincibility. Just remember the perception after Stan Jonathan destroyed Bouchard in that famous fight in Boston. Poof! Everyone in the league ( including our fan base) looked at Bouchard differently. For those youngsters who don't know of that famous on-ice 'event,' I would recommend you look it up on You Tube.

Rapala

Mar 29, 2013
Montreal
Sorry but if I ignore the 3 penalties I don't know how you can call his game "dog shit"
I'm sorry you didn't see the lack of execution and the number of times he turned the puck over.
How many board battles did he win how many times did he come up with the puck in a scrum and move it to a team mate.
I'm talking about the details of the game that ended up killing plays. This was no where near the level of play he showed in the past couple of weeks.
Passes were off shots weren't taken it all adds up.

Reactions: Runner77

Tyson

Mar 1, 2007
Texas
I'm sorry you didn't see the lack of execution and the number of times he turned the puck over.
How many board battles did he win how many times did he come up with the puck in a scrum and move it to a team mate.
I'm talking about the details of the game that ended up killing plays. This was no where near the level of play he showed in the past couple of weeks.
Passes were off shots weren't taken it all adds up.
"Apprenticage"

Reactions: Rapala and Runner77

teamfirst

Oct 28, 2016
Well I mentioned the other day that I would swap my green light avvy for a red one when I felt he wasn't Beasting.
So you can see how I felt about this one. :laugh:
The thing is red won't work so orange isn't as bad right? :sarcasm:
Hopefully we see green again before St. Patty's Day.

See it is pretty simple to me, if i agree with you that means you know the game, if i dont agree with with you it means you need to improve your hockey knowledge skills.

Let's just say that yesterday you had a bad night :laugh::laugh:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad